Everglades Tomatoes...

Anything related to growing your own food
TN Hawkeye
Grass Type: Fescue/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Everglades Tomatoes...

Post by TN Hawkeye » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:11 pm

Has anyone ever sampled these little beauties? My uncle sent up some seeds from South Florida a few years ago and my parents started growing them in there garden. They gave me some plants to try out and I’ve been blown away. They grow in these pretty little groups of 8 (4 on each side of the vine). They don’t get much bigger than a marble but they have the flavor of a big fat slicer. Very little acidic juice inside either. They are mostly meat. And prolific as hell. Two summers ago I picked a salad bowl full every other day from 3 plants. When fall came and the weather turned there were still hundreds of green tomatoes on the vine. But they will take over a garden. It’s best to pot them or put them in their own area. They love heat. I would bet you guys in Texas could grow them like crazy. If they will grow in East Tennessee they will definitely grow in hotter areas with longer growing seasons. Here’s a couple articles about them.

http://floridafoodandfarm.com/featured/ ... -on-taste/
https://myfolia.com/plants/1543-wild-to ... omato-wfet
I may not have the best lawn and I may not have a clue what I’m doing but that’s pretty much all I have to say.

jimbeckel
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: GM1000, Trucut p20, Allett K17

Re: Everglades Tomatoes...

Post by jimbeckel » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:38 pm

I might have to try growing some of these in a container

probasestealer
Grass Type: Hybrid KBG/TTTF
Lawn Size: 7000
Mower: Honda HRX 21"

Post by probasestealer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:06 pm

Awesome. I think i'll order some this year

j4c11
Grass Type: Turf Blue HGT
Lawn Size: 7,500
Mower: Cub Cadet 2072

Post by j4c11 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:28 pm

Are these different than cherry tomatoes, or is that just another name for them?

TN Hawkeye
Grass Type: Fescue/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Post by TN Hawkeye » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:43 am

j4c11 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:28 pm
Are these different than cherry tomatoes, or is that just another name for them?
These tend to be smaller and more flavorful. These also grow in bunches of 8 whereas the cherries tend to grow more sporadically throughout the plant. I’ve also found the Everglades to be less acidic. Some cherries have a high goo to meat ratio. These tend to be more meat than goo.
I may not have the best lawn and I may not have a clue what I’m doing but that’s pretty much all I have to say.