Anything related to growing your own food
Kennyatx
Grass Type: St. Aug
Lawn Size: 15000
Mower: Toro Rotary

Re: Chilliheads

Post by Kennyatx » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:22 pm

I've had a good summer so far.

Tabasco. Habanero. Ghost. And an unknown. Maybe a cayenne. The ghost made about a dozen peppers and stalled. But now there's probably 75 flowers on it. We'll see if it can handle the texas summer.

J_nick
Grass Type: Riviera Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: 220B

Post by J_nick » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:45 pm

I’ve been trying to up my tolerance to capsaicin. Anytime we go out to eat and the place serves wings I order the hottest. BTW Johnny Carino’s has a really good Habanero Sriracha that is the best I’ve tasted so far.

So, I started feeling a little cocky and took a couple bites out of a ripe Habanero. Holy smokes did it work me over for around 10 minutes. I had taken some bites out of some green ones and they weren’t terrible but the orange ones are straight fire. The Ghosts are just starting to produce and now I’m a little scared for them to ripen.

That was the first bite that wasn’t too bad. The next two bites really turned up the heat.

g-man
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:58 am

@J_nick i like to make a chicken breast marinade with those peppers and buttermilk. But I have to wear gloves with them. They are powerful.

J_nick

Post by J_nick » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:30 am

g-man wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:58 am
@J_nick i like to make a chicken breast marinade with those peppers and buttermilk. But I have to wear gloves with them. They are powerful.
Send me the recipe.

g-man
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:26 pm

Recipe? umm. I just put the right amount of everything just by looks.

- I like bone in chicken breast but you can use boneless. The bone in doesnt dry as fast in the grill.
- buttermilk to cover the chicken
- a container
- 1/2 habanero pepper per chicken breast
- kosher salt
- turmeric

Cut the habanero into tiny pieces. Mix all the stuff together into a bowl. Add buttermilk to cover the breast. Let marinade for at least 4hrs, but overnight is best. Fire up the grill at medium low and place the chicken directly from the marinade (coated) into the grill.

The buttermilk turns down the heat, so you can go 1:1 ratio if you like it hotter. Or make a mayo/habanero/buttermilk dipping sauce.

hammerhead
Grass Type: KGB, PRG, Fine fescue
Lawn Size: 2000 sqf
Mower: Honda rotary mower

Post by hammerhead » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:08 pm

j4c11 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:18 pm
Unfortunately the capsicum chinense species (which includes all the superhot varieties - habanero, ghost pepper, the scorpions and the 7 pots including the Carolina Reaper) is famously slow to germinate and grow from seed. I will probably try to overwinter a few of them indoors next winter.
I hag great success growing ghost pepper and carolina reaper from seed, i always had germination in under one week. I have ground heating (floor heating ? Not sure about the english word) and i think that did the trick. I planted th seeds in small pots and put them in a plastic container made for seeding. I then put the plastic container on the floor just in front of a big window (window is 7 feet tall and starts from the floor up) so the container also got some direct sunlight in the afternoon. I constantly kept the seed moist.
In my opinion the most important thing is soil temperature. I think that soil temp was around 85-90F, however never measured. Thanks to the ground heating the were no big temp fluctuations, i.e. the soil temps were pretty constant at a rather high level.
I have given some of the same seeds to my wife's parents who live in Portugal. They put the pots on the kitchen table next to a window and they never managed to make the seeds germinate.
Maybe the experiences i made can be helpful for you guys.

Reel Low Dad
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5K sq ft
Mower: Toro Flex 21

Post by Reel Low Dad » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:25 pm

Ghost Pepper and Red Jalepeno harvest

j4c11
Grass Type: TZMM
Lawn Size: 7,500
Mower: Cub Cadet 2072

Post by j4c11 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:43 pm

Well, this year's crop has been good and everything turned out well. I got about 45 8oz jars and about 12 pint jars of hot sauce (various flavors), a bunch of cayenne dried on a string, two large jars of thai/cayenne in vinegar, and two gallon bags of frozen ghosts and habaneros. More to come, they're still producing.

I made some really hot sauce packed with ghost peppers, which is great, I can tone it down with butter if need be but I can also make some fiery wings. I didn't quite enjoy the pungent floral flavor of the orange habaneros at first, but I'm starting to get used to it. The yellow sauce is mango/pineapple/habanero/ghost, the other ones are cayenne based with plenty of ghost added and various other flavors(onion, garlic, honey, brown sugar, lime etc.).

I figure one jar per week, should be good until next year's crop :D

j4c11
Grass Type: TZMM
Lawn Size: 7,500
Mower: Cub Cadet 2072

Post by j4c11 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:46 pm

Also, can't forget about the chillihead's anthem. I always sing it when making hot sauce :lol:

TN Hawkeye
Grass Type: Fescmuda
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Post by TN Hawkeye » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:31 pm

j4c11 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:46 pm
Also, can't forget about the chillihead's anthem. I always sing it when making hot sauce :lol:

Love the song, but my bunghole immediately began burning watching him make that.
Last edited by TN Hawkeye on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may not have the best lawn and I may not have a clue what I’m doing but that’s pretty much all I have to say.

J_nick

Post by J_nick » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:08 am

My Habanero and Jalapeño plants have been doing awesome. I made a couple batches of hot sauce with the Habaneros. I’m waiting for my Ghost to start producing. It’s growing and getting flowers but from everything I’ve read they don’t like to set fruit above 90°. Extended forecast says by the middle of next week we will be out of the 90s so we’ll see what happens.

Next spring we’re going to be extending the garden so we can produce more of everything. I’ve got a empty zone on my irrigation controller so I might set up a drip system out there. My tomatoes haven’t been getting consistent enough water and have been cracking which is frustrating.