Anything related to growing your own food
Topic Author
j4c11
Grass Type: TZMM
Lawn Size: 7,500
Mower: Cub Cadet 2072

Year of the herbicide nightmare

Post by j4c11 »

After my previous faux pas involving leftover glyphosate in the pump, the HOA hired TruGreen to spray for weeds in a common area near the back of my house, 50 yards or so from my garden. Within 2-3 weeks all my tomatoes started deforming and growing weird shaped leaves. I thought it was damage from a few nights of very cold temperatures, but even new growth was deformed. A quick google and I found tomatoes that looked exactly like mine, 2,4D and/or dicamba damage. Well I haven't sprayed broadleaf herbicide since February, I just don't have any, so it must have drifted. Apparently tomatoes are very very sensitive to 2,4D and the likes, with even a breeze being enough to completely wreck them. So, I had to pull 24 tomato plants out of the ground and replace them with new ones.

Moral of the story, be very, very, very careful with broadleaf herbicide anywhere within sight of tomatoes.

Not my picture, but they looked just like this.

gm560
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500 sqft
Mower: GM1600 / Honda HRR216

Re: Year of the herbicide nightmare

Post by gm560 »

j4c11 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:37 pm

Moral of the story, be very, very, very careful with broadleaf herbicide anywhere within sight of tomatoes.
And to go inside when you see a Trugreen applicator. 50 yards.... they must not have been being careful at all.