Lawn Care Forum banner

Prodiamine Peach tree

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Deadlawn 
#1 ·
My wife purchased three peach trees last week to set up as a memorial to the family dog we just had to put down. The variety she purchased gets to be up to 15 feet wide. In order to get the necessary spacing I need to extend my mulch bed and take some of my grass out which I applied .38 oz/M of prodiamine and 7.3 oz/M of Simazine.

Can I plant the peach trees into this area that I treated? Many thanks in advance for your input.

#4 ·
If you just got a peach tree you've got about 5 years before it'll be anywhere near that size. Grow the bed with the tree.

Peach trees are a pain in the *** to grow without staying on top of a spray schedule (if you want to eat the fruit and don't want the leaves to be covered in holes and fall off early). Contact your local county extension office to get their recommended spray schedule.

#8 ·
quadmasta said:
If you just got a peach tree you've got about 5 years before it'll be anywhere near that size. Grow the bed with the tree.

Peach trees are a pain in the @ss to grow without staying on top of a spray schedule (if you want to eat the fruit and don't want the leaves to be covered in holes and fall off early). Contact your local county extension office to get their recommended spray schedule.
Will do. Thanks for the heads up.

#11 ·
SeanBB said:
You can keep the trees much smaller and still get loads of fruit. Your goal is not commercial production, just delicious fruit. I would summer prune at max 8' height and winter prune for fruit production. I plant my peaches 4 feet apart...
thanks. we've just made a plan for our mini orchard and we want to max our delicious fruit production.

#12 ·
SeanBB said:
You can keep the trees much smaller and still get loads of fruit. Your goal is not commercial production, just delicious fruit.
^^^This. I don't know about in GA, but up in New England, brown rot and the plum curculio are the primary pests of stone fruits. Since you are not selling your fruit, it does not need to look perfect, it just needs to taste good and not have nasties wiggling around inside of it. Even unsprayed, you will still have about half the fruit. Most of the plum curculio infested fruit will fall to the ground once it reaches almond size. Consider that your automatic fruit thinning process. :thumbup:

Peach scab causes "freckles" on the fruit. It is cosmetic and does not affect taste of fruit. It is just considered unacceptable at a commercial level. Unless you are OCD, you shouldn't care about it.

As I said, GA may be a totally different story. Your heat and humidity is much higher for much longer, so brown rot may be more of a problem. Keeping trees pruned to an open center to help with ventilation and maximize sunlight exposure helps control fungi like this one. And isn't GA the peach capitol? There has to be a good reason for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.