How To With Doc...

Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
samjonester
Grass Type: F: Bermuda B: TTTF + KBG
Lawn Size: 8500
Mower: Rotary ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: How To With Doc...

Post by samjonester » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:39 am

I like his no-nonsense mentality. His calendar and techniques remind me of old LCN's attitude "mow high, throw down milo, and enjoy your green grass". Without that low inertia way to set a lawn care foundation, I wouldn't be here to enjoy the much more nuanced and detailed Teir 3 discussions. I say kudos! Thanks for helping me get into it, Doc, and I'll continue to subscribe even when I "know better" :)
2018 Backyard Reno:
90% TTTF - Rebounder, Firewall, LS1200, Houndog 8
10% KBG - Midnight, Award, Granite, Nuglade

Aaronj
Grass Type: Tiftuf bermuda
Lawn Size: 15,000sq ft
Mower: Tru cut 27” w/roller

Post by Aaronj » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:44 pm

What do you guys think of the liquid lawn fertilizer he uses?

https://www.theurbanfarm.com/liquidlawn.html

Movingshrub
Lawn of the Month
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13,000 SQFT
Mower: Honda Rotary

Post by Movingshrub » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:45 pm

samjonester wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:39 am
I like his no-nonsense mentality. His calendar and techniques remind me of old LCN's attitude "mow high, throw down milo, and enjoy your green grass". Without that low inertia way to set a lawn care foundation, I wouldn't be here to enjoy the much more nuanced and detailed Teir 3 discussions. I say kudos! Thanks for helping me get into it, Doc, and I'll continue to subscribe even when I "know better" :)
I think the mow heigh philosophy was for cool season grasses and st aug; not everything.

samjonester
Grass Type: F: Bermuda B: TTTF + KBG
Lawn Size: 8500
Mower: Rotary ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by samjonester » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:32 pm

Movingshrub wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:45 pm
samjonester wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:39 am
I think the mow heigh philosophy was for cool season grasses and st aug; not everything.
Well more specifically TTTF and St Augustine. KBG, PRG, and FF tend to get matted and promote disease at 4+”. But my point is that without them providing an easy path to start caring more, I never would have in the first place. I wouldn’t have tried mowing better, then herbicides, and then everything that snowballed after that until I figured out its more nuanced than just mowing high. I would have been overwhelmed and not even bothered.
2018 Backyard Reno:
90% TTTF - Rebounder, Firewall, LS1200, Houndog 8
10% KBG - Midnight, Award, Granite, Nuglade

Movingshrub
Lawn of the Month
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13,000 SQFT
Mower: Honda Rotary

Post by Movingshrub » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:50 pm

@samjonester makes sense to me. LCN is where I started as well.

ctrav
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro SS4225 ZTR

Post by ctrav » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:24 am

I just watched one of his recent videos and maybe its just me but it seems he has started to ramble too much. Needs to stick to the topic at hand and stop pushing his products so much. Again thats just me...
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

tcorbitt20
Grass Type: Discovery Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5000 sq ft
Mower: Tru Cut C27

Post by tcorbitt20 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:31 pm

I found him when searching for a calendar to help with timing everything. Saw that it was 20 minutes long and didn’t bother watching that one. I did watch a video on leveling the yard where he said not to use sand only and gave no reason other than “experts will tell you not to.” I’m not a fan, but that’s okay.

Cory
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20,000
Mower: California Trimmer 20"

Post by Cory » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:08 pm

tcorbitt20 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:31 pm
I did watch a video on leveling the yard where he said not to use sand only and gave no reason other than “experts will tell you not to.” I’m not a fan, but that’s okay.
Except every golf course and pro athletic field video I have watched and anyone with a nice Bermuda lawn on TLF uses sand only. But hey, they must be doing it wrong because he knows what’s best.

@ctrav yes, I haven’t been able to watch his recent videos all the way through because of it.

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 8,000 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56

Post by Mightyquinn » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:28 am

ctrav wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:24 am
I just watched one of his recent videos and maybe its just me but it seems he has started to ramble too much. Needs to stick to the topic at hand and stop pushing his products so much. Again thats just me...
It's just NOT you :thumbup: :lol:
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins,
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
-Rudyard Kipling (1919)

thatlawnguy
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: No time for that

Post by thatlawnguy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:59 am

I don't agree with everything he says and he is a bit of a braggart ("best" bermuda lawn, starts video with my lawn has no weeds and then the whole video is about spraying actual weeds in his yard, etc.). Assuming he is not profiting (as in charging his neighbors for anything other than the products) his work on multiple neighbor's yards is admirable.

-tlg

ccanad
Grass Type: Bermuda, Weeds...
Lawn Size: 20000
Mower: Ariens Zoom 42

Post by ccanad » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:50 pm

What ever happened to this guy? Hasn't posted in weeks...

ScottM29
Grass Type: bermuda (back) & TTTF (front)
Lawn Size: 7500 Sq ft
Mower: Honda HRX

Post by ScottM29 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:08 pm

ccanad wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:50 pm
What ever happened to this guy? Hasn't posted in weeks...
I was wondering the same thing....

g-man
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:41 pm

Which guy? It is normal for the site to slow down during the winter. Around april, folks start to show up again.

iFisch3224
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 4,000
Mower: Honda HRR216

Post by iFisch3224 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:03 pm

g-man wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:41 pm
Which guy? It is normal for the site to slow down during the winter. Around april, folks start to show up again.
Grass is still going here. 😂

Seems like I’m catching up for the last 2 months I missed 😂

Austinite
Grass Type: Lat 36 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4000
Mower: California Trimmer

Post by Austinite » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:12 pm

I watch his videos. He's just a silly old man who loves his lawn. I don't think he intends to be cocky or even knows he is coming off like that. I'll bet anyone who dislikes him will probably enjoy his company in person. "Worlds greatest bermuda lawn" is just one of his 'sayings'. Allan Hayne says the same about his St. Augustine. Doesn't mean anything. Probably thinks it's funny.

I think various youtubers have different primary/returning audiences. Doc is certainly for the average homeowner who is getting into lawn care. He will never teach you how to have a golf-course lawn. I'm not sure why his methods bother some folks so much. Even my favorites like Conner uses some outrageous and sometimes nonsensical methods..Pulling tree roots and tearing up the lawn?? Blasphemy! ha! Don't like that but that's a fraction of what he offers. And look at his lawn, lol, it's amazing. Then you have Hayne, the LCN, he is the techie geek of lawns and breaks everything down for you. He even cleans the sprinkler donuts, truly a nut! Most of these guys are old school, that's why you don't see the "been there done that attitude" with younger folks like Ryan Knorr.

Point is, everyone is different, otherwise it would be a very boring world. There's a 1000 ways to skin a cat. I take what I feel is good advice from various sources and my lawn will ultimately tell me what advice worked and what didn't.

Got a Reel mower because of Conner Ward, used Growth Regulator because of @Ware , use Milorganite because of LCN and switched to rotary sprinklers because of Doc. buying a Toro Timemaster because of Ryan knorr. Works for me!

Dang, ,you youtubers make me spend some money!

joeker
Lawn Size: 7,800 SF
Mower: Tru-Cut P20/EarthWise 16"

Post by joeker » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:18 pm

ctrav wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:24 am
I thought I was only one..

Cory

Post by Cory » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:26 pm

Doubt his grass recovered from that crazy end of season scalp job. Probably don’t want to talk about it, I know I wouldn’t :lol:

OD on Grass
Lawn Size: 15,000sq fr
Mower: Tru Cut H20

Post by OD on Grass » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:41 am

Cory wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:26 pm
Doubt his grass recovered from that crazy end of season scalp job. Probably don’t want to talk about it, I know I wouldn’t :lol:
I’ve wondered the same thing!
Look at Behemoth,
Job 40:15-24

The Lawn Tools
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYWh9e ... wTRZj5hVDA

andymac7
Grass Type: Yukon bermudagrass
Lawn Size: .75 acre
Mower: Rotary and Push Reel

Post by andymac7 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:34 am

Like others have said, he's the one that got me started taking care of my bermuda grass lawn, when I was a pretty clueless crazy guy trying to grow it here in southern OH. And what do you know, it CAN be done quite successfully. Nope, I still ain't ready for any total lawn pics quite yet :), because I'm still converting it all over from (IMO) ugly cool season grass, on a low budget. But, with some of Doc's techniques and advice from my short time on TLF, I think I can get it mostly converted this coming season!

Celsius will be my buddy, along with Pre-Em and lawn leveling, so I can get that HOC down. Wish me luck!

And I don't really have anything negative to say about 'ol Doc. I try to adopt the "Thumper" mentality, for those who've watched old Disney movies. Ya know.. "If you don't have anything nice to say..." ;)
Last edited by andymac7 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cory

Post by Cory » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:24 am

andymac7 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:34 am
"If you don't have anything nice to say..." ;)
I do agree with you however, he has directly told me I don’t know what I’m talking about on more than one occasion when I have offered my advice against his then deletes my comments from his videos. He as also done the same with Conner ward.

The one that irritated me the most was him saing you can’t put sand down or whatever bs he said. I may not have the best lawn on here and definitely don’t know everything but my lawn is definitely better than his and I level with only sand, zero organic matter. He basically says I’m an idiot then deletes the comments.

I feel my comments here are valid. He may be a nice guy but I don’t like him based on what he has said to me in his own comments section.