My Big Drainage Project!

Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
FranksATX
Grass Type: Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: 24,000+
Mower: Hustler Zero Turn

Re: My Big Drainage Project!

Post by FranksATX » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:37 pm

Looking good! We need another update the first big rain you have!

Two9tene
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4,516 sq ft
Mower: GreensMaster 1000 (Mdl. 04052)

Post by Two9tene » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:38 pm

FranksATX wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:37 pm
Here here, Absolutely! I would love to see that system in action. It looks extremely robust...
"One of the great challenges in life, is knowing enough to think you’re right, but not enough to know you’re wrong" - Neil Degrasse Tyson :roll:

717driver
Grass Type: Bermuda, Tif419
Lawn Size: 6,000sqft
Mower: John Deere 220A

Post by 717driver » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:49 am

ctrav wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:07 pm
Congrats on almost done. Hopefully this time next year grass will be filled back in...
Thanks! Going to be a long road to lawn recovery, going to use sod as much as I can, but it’s going to take a full leveling job to correct most of it.
Two9tene wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:38 pm
Here here, Absolutely! I would love to see that system in action. It looks extremely robust...
Two9tene wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:33 pm
Keep at it brother! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us!
Thank you, @Two9tene!! I’m excited! Hopefully we get a good one! I’m going to park a lawn chair out there by the pop-ups to watch it.
FranksATX wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:37 pm
I’ll give one for sure!! I have all the neighbors excited about it too.
SC Grass Loon wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:46 pm
I did something similar in my yard for the downspouts and surface drains. Also added a sump pump for one area that I could not get enough fall in the line. When it finally rains heavy and the water problems are not there anymore it is a great feeling! It looks like they may have you taken care of.
Awesome!! I’m glad to hear it’s working for your home. I truly believe everyone should collect and remove their downspout runoff, it can be a huge hazard to the foundation. Could you share some pictures? I love this stuff now.
Batsonbe wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:29 pm
I believe I’m going to do underground piping for my down spouts as well next year.
I’m plumbing in a sump pump and going to tie into 1 down spout to see how it functions this winter.
Hate that I couldn’t get this done before seeding my yard but next year is a new year to get it done.
It’s the best thing you can do for your foundation. Nearly everyone should have that setup, unless you’re lucky enough to have a castle on a hill with slope away in all directions. Good luck!! We almost ended up with a pump, but I had concerns with it since we were in a potential flooding situation. If it was just to remove downspout runoff, then I would’ve stuck with the sump. Good plan!

JRS 9572
Grass Type: TifGrand
Lawn Size: 8000
Mower: McLean 20" Reel

Post by JRS 9572 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:08 am

Time will tell. But looking at how you did it, and what you used it should kick @#$. If it doesn't, then I don't know what will.
"That yard is how he works out stress and frustration. What it costs to maintain the yard is a lot cheaper than therapy with a shrink." My wife

mha2345
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4500
Mower: Toro Recycler 22"

Post by mha2345 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:40 pm

Any updates?
Last edited by mha2345 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Carrie-Waltz
Grass Type: Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1/8-acre
Mower: no

Post by Carrie-Waltz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:47 am

Wow, that's costly, I assume

GrassAndWater12
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: 4000 sq ft
Mower: John Deere

Post by GrassAndWater12 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:32 am

How’s the project coming along? Pics pls

717driver

Post by 717driver » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:47 pm

mha2345 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:40 pm
Any updates?
GrassAndWater12 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:32 am
I apologize for leaving this as a cliffhanger. We ended up disagreeing over what is considered within the scope of the project. This went on for a week or so before we settled the dispute and he agreed to come back and finish the job after discussing with his business attorney.

I’ll post an update with some more pictures this afternoon.

Two9tene
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4,516 sq ft
Mower: GreensMaster 1000 (Mdl. 04052)

Post by Two9tene » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:57 pm

717driver wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:47 pm
mha2345 wrote:
Any updates?
GrassAndWater12 wrote:
I apologize for leaving this as a cliffhanger. We ended up disagreeing over what is considered within the scope of the project. This went on for a week or so before we settled the dispute and he agreed to come back and finish the job after discussing with his business attorney.

I am assuming the grass was the source of contention? Nonetheless, looks like you won that argument! Looking forward to witnessing the progress!
"One of the great challenges in life, is knowing enough to think you’re right, but not enough to know you’re wrong" - Neil Degrasse Tyson :roll:

717driver

Post by 717driver » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Two9tene wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:57 pm
717driver wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:47 pm
mha2345 wrote:
Any updates?
GrassAndWater12 wrote:

I am assuming the grass was the source of contention? Nonetheless, looks like you won that argument! Looking forward to witnessing the progress!
The front yard was more of the issue. He didn’t want to handle any of the rocks you see in the middle picture. He thought leaving it like that was good enough to call it finished. He graded it out now and hauled off a trailer full of rock. It’s better now. :bandit:

He did manage to find the worst sod ever, though.

mha2345
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4500
Mower: Toro Recycler 22"

Post by mha2345 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:19 am

Sorry to hear it ended up having to come to all of that, but hopefully this solves your problems moving forward!

717driver

Post by 717driver » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:33 am

From yesterday evening, it’s starting to blend in a bit now. Aside from the major crab grass infestation, I’ve already gotten it greening up and filling in. It’ll take a boatload of sand to fix this to TLF specs, though.

hsvtoolfool
Grass Type: Tifton 419
Lawn Size: 14K
Mower: Swardman Electra 55 + Ego

Post by hsvtoolfool » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:47 am

Isn't it funny how so many contracts do a great job right up to the end...and then fumble on the one yard line and lose the game? That's happened to me with my last three contractors. They're doing a great job and then screw up something, refuse to fix their mistake, and then it spirals out of control and they're fired. Your final impression is how much of an idiot they were...instead of how professional they were at the start.

717driver

Post by 717driver » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:17 pm

hsvtoolfool wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:47 am
Isn't it funny how so many contracts do a great job right up to the end...and then fumble on the one yard line and lose the game? That's happened to me with my last three contractors. They're doing a great job and then screw up something, refuse to fix their mistake, and then it spirals out of control and they're fired. Your final impression is how much of an idiot they were...instead of how professional they were at the start.
Yeah! What’s up with that? Why is it so hard to follow through to the end of the project? It frustrates me to no end. If someone did this to their lawn or home, would they just accept it as-is?

ktgrok
Grass Type: weeds
Lawn Size: 3,000
Mower: Briggs Stratton 21 inch rotary

Post by ktgrok » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:24 pm

717driver wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:17 pm
hsvtoolfool wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:47 am
Yeah! What’s up with that? Why is it so hard to follow through to the end of the project? It frustrates me to no end. If someone did this to their lawn or home, would they just accept it as-is?
And after all the hours of work they did, THIS was their line in the sand? I mean, how long did it take them to scrape/scoop those rocks up and fill it in properly? Couldn't have been long, with the right equipment, compared to everything else they did!

717driver

Post by 717driver » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:24 pm

Another update:
Things were going smoothly, until they weren’t. This is where we are now. What should I do to get it the best I can before the end of the season? I’ve got a landscaper coming out tomorrow afternoon to quote me addressing the clay and rock situation and sod down the front. I think it’s still going to be beyond what we have left to spend. I want to do what I can myself, but I feel like it’s an uphill battle to get this thing to where I’d consider it looking decent again. Scraping it all off and bringing in yards of quality top soil is the best option, but we’re out of money at this point.

This area looks terrible, I am trying to aggressively let it fill in by feeding nitrogen and I’m going to dig that sod row down a bit so it sits more flush.

I spent all the money we had and this is what we’re left with. Disheartened and devastated is what I’m feeling now. Any advice would be graciously accepted and appreciated at this point. :cry:

ktgrok
Grass Type: weeds
Lawn Size: 3,000
Mower: Briggs Stratton 21 inch rotary

Post by ktgrok » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:41 pm

How deep is the rock? Is it from them putting in gravel, or native rock? Can you call around for price of "fill dirt" rather than good topsoil? Fill dirt is more likely to match the rest of the yard anyway, and is usually cheaper I'd think. I paid $30 for a pickup truck full which would fill a lot of that in. Then cut plugs from the backyard to fill in the front? Or even cut some sod squares from the back to make the front look good?

hsvtoolfool
Grass Type: Tifton 419
Lawn Size: 14K
Mower: Swardman Electra 55 + Ego

Post by hsvtoolfool » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Maybe build a 4' x 4' x 1' screen box that lets the small stuff fall through? Put it on 2' legs and move it down the line as you go?

RDZed
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Pat Bermuda/Mey Zoy/TTTF
Lawn Size: 12,500sf
Mower: 46" Husq rotary and beer

Post by RDZed » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:59 pm

As a PE that has done this for 20+ years, and 35 years in construction, yall need to not go with the cheapest way out.

Get a certified PE in there and have a set of drawings/plans developed to submit to the contractor for bid. Quit relying on a contractor to design/build. They will do the absolute MINIMUM and walk away. They know that the permit process has been bypassed so they'll bone you at the end.

If they have a set schedule and deviate from it, its 100% on them.

RDZed
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Pat Bermuda/Mey Zoy/TTTF
Lawn Size: 12,500sf
Mower: 46" Husq rotary and beer

Post by RDZed » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:01 pm

If the grade and water egress doesn't work out according to the plan, it's on the PE.