Post by L337pcnoob »

lanc0227 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:06 pm
probasestealer wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:44 pm
lanc0227 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:43 pm
Something is growing.

The small seedlings look like KBG. Rough time of year too seed..
I blame it on Covid cabin fever. :lol:
Any updates on how your seedlings holding up in Dallas?

jeffcatton
Grass Type: KBG SPF-30
Lawn Size: .5
Mower: Normal Push

Re: SPF-30 hybrid bluegrass

Post by jeffcatton »

@L337pcnoob Here is a quick pic just taken - 16 days into when I planted it - kill off a section and reseeded the area about 1 week after killing what was there. Then I did another area but it has 24/7 hot sun :D and it is just starting to sprout up - need to keep it watered more in the sunny areas this time of year.

Hope that helps. Hope @lanc0227 can share his success.

L337pcnoob
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 4000
Mower: Briggs 21 inch

Post by L337pcnoob »

jeffcatton wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:04 pm
@L337pcnoob Here is a quick pic just taken - 16 days into when I planted it - kill off a section and reseeded the area about 1 week after killing what was there. Then I did another area but it has 24/7 hot sun :D and it is just starting to sprout up - need to keep it watered more in the sunny areas this time of year.

Hope that helps. Hope @lanc0227 can share his success.

That’s looking pretty good for considering how hot it is out. I just finished second application of glysophate and then I’m going to power rake/dethatcher (I’ll see how well the dethatcher does first) then aerate. I’m hoping to get planted mid august. It will still be upper 90s out. I’ll water 3-4 times a day if possible I just don’t want to waste seed. If all else fails, I’m guessing I can always just lay more seed later in the fall. It looks like the spf is performing pretty well in this heat.

jeffcatton

Post by jeffcatton »

L337pcnoob wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:04 pm
That’s looking pretty good for considering how hot it is out. I just finished second application of glysophate and then I’m going to power rake/dethatcher (I’ll see how well the dethatcher does first) then aerate. I’m hoping to get planted mid august. It will still be upper 90s out. I’ll water 3-4 times a day if possible I just don’t want to waste seed. If all else fails, I’m guessing I can always just lay more seed later in the fall. It looks like the spf is performing pretty well in this heat.

Keeping it moist enough, let it dry up at times, is key I have found with this seed (not saturated 24/7)
Exactly! I will over seed again in late SEPT/OCT.

L337pcnoob

Post by L337pcnoob »

jeffcatton wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:43 pm
L337pcnoob wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:04 pm

Keeping it moist enough, let it dry up at times, is key I have found with this seed (not saturated 24/7)
Exactly! I will over seed again in late SEPT/OCT.
I think this lawn renovation keeps me up at night as im always trying to gather information....
What would be your thoughts on moving forward with power raking, aerating and leveling weeks prior to seeding? I would probably run the sprinklers daily to keep the new soil relatively damp, not saturated. I have more than enough dirt to apply more at time of seeding? I figure it would be easier to rent the equipment and knock it out over the weekend, than to wait a couple of weeks. I'm itching to lay seed lol although im aware of the potential waste of money. I do plan to hit it with tenacity during "summer seeding" to prevent weeds but i think by the time late sept october comes around, it will be safe to over seed again, if necessary.

jeffcatton

Post by jeffcatton »

L337pcnoob wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:46 pm
I think this lawn renovation keeps me up at night as im always trying to gather information....
What would be your thoughts on moving forward with power raking, aerating and leveling weeks prior to seeding? I would probably run the sprinklers daily to keep the new soil relatively damp, not saturated. I have more than enough dirt to apply more at time of seeding? I figure it would be easier to rent the equipment and knock it out over the weekend, than to wait a couple of weeks. I'm itching to lay seed lol although im aware of the potential waste of money. I do plan to hit it with tenacity during "summer seeding" to prevent weeds but i think by the time late sept october comes around, it will be safe to over seed again, if necessary.
@L337pcnoob the same for me when I started this process ... could not go fast enough. It does take longer in the higher heat to grow KBG and my first attempt I panicked and over seeded 2 weeks after just in case the first seeding died on me - it was slow to show sprouts. Result was, extra thick grass (plush). I did put down some dirt, not the complete yard, and my seed went down about 1-2 weeks after i killed the whole yard. I did not aerate my yard, I should have taken the time to do that too. After putting down the seed and starter fertilizer on the dirt, I did take a leaf rake and lightly go over the seed to mix it with the dirt - helps to keep it in place.

My grass seed that I have growing now, I water morning 7AM, afternoon 1PM, and around 8PM (not saturated on each watering).

Good Luck !

L337pcnoob

Post by L337pcnoob »

Going to aerate early tomorrow morning and order seed today. Prepped with a dethatcher but switch to a power rake to get the job done faster. Thanks for your insight. How long do you water your zones?

L337pcnoob

Post by L337pcnoob »

Power raked, aerated, leveled and rolled.

Captquin
Grass Type: Front TTTF Blend; Back: KBG
Lawn Size: 20.000
Mower: Toro Rotary

Post by Captquin »

Glad I found this thread! I’m in southeast Virginia and generally hang out on the cool season board.

I did a reno last year and tried KBG for the first time. Used Turf Blue HGT which is marketed as a KBG for the transition zone. Overall I like it. Fast germination and aggressive spreading. Parts of it died off this summer. Not quite sure if it was drought or fungus, but in any case I have some thin spots.

Also plan on over seeding the front yard that is currently TTTF. Wondering whether to go back with the Turf Blue or try the SPF-30....or a blend of both.

Appreciate your perspective and wanted to subscribe to the thread

@jeffcatton how is your lawn holding up and how thirsty is it?

jeffcatton

Post by jeffcatton »

Captquin wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:56 am
Glad I found this thread! I’m in southeast Virginia and generally hang out on the cool season board.

I did a reno last year and tried KBG for the first time. Used Turf Blue HGT which is marketed as a KBG for the transition zone. Overall I like it. Fast germination and aggressive spreading. Parts of it died off this summer. Not quite sure if it was drought or fungus, but in any case I have some thin spots.

Also plan on over seeding the front yard that is currently TTTF. Wondering whether to go back with the Turf Blue or try the SPF-30....or a blend of both.

Appreciate your perspective and wanted to subscribe to the thread

@jeffcatton how is your lawn holding up and how thirsty is it?
@Captquin the KGB PSF-30 grass is doing very well and I water only 2 times a week. Just ran out and took a quick pic attached here. I got some Bermuda coming through from the neighbor's yards and some in spots where I did not do a good job killing all prior grass - my fault. Overall, very happy with the success during the heat - thick and green. I am even growing some new grass seed in spots where I wanted to redo (takes 2-3 weeks to germinate). This really works well also in the shaded areas (less than 3-4 hours of sun) - side of house (green and thick).

Mine is blending with Bermuda unfortunately, I would really like to find something that will kill Bermuda grass (like a fertilizer or something) and not harm my KBG :D

lanc0227
Grass Type: Latitude 36
Lawn Size: 4500
Mower: Rotary

Post by lanc0227 »

L337pcnoob wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:49 am
lanc0227 wrote:
probasestealer wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:44 pm

The small seedlings look like KBG. Rough time of year too seed..
I ended up waving the white flag. I got good germination in the front yard but the back has no shade. I was spending an arm and a leg on just keeping the dirt moist. Bc of that, nutsedge and spurge took over the back yard and it looked absolutely terrible.

Captquin

Post by Captquin »

@jeffcatton Fantastic my man. My front yard is a “northern mix.“ All kind of stuff in there. May try to scalp it and over seed with the Turf Blue and HKBG. The Turf Blue germinates in a week. Concerned the SPF-30 may get crowded out.

jeffcatton

Post by jeffcatton »

Captquin wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:10 pm
@jeffcatton Fantastic my man. My front yard is a “northern mix.“ All kind of stuff in there. May try to scalp it and over seed with the Turf Blue and HKBG. The Turf Blue germinates in a week. Concerned the SPF-30 may get crowded out.
@Captquin I just did some quick reading on Turf Blue, looks promising also as an alternative for Bermuda, thanks for sharing. The blade appears thicker but tends to be a fast grower and dominate in the yard. Is it a stiff or soft grass type? Would be interesting to see if it goes dormant in Dallas area as we really do not freeze often - with HKBG it grows all year here and stay green - yes a love to cut 365 days a year.

Please keep us updated on your success / progress ... I would really like to know more about this "northern mix" you are planning to use.

For now, I have the Bermuda trying to creep into my HKBG so over the next few seasons I am going to give a try with "Hi-Yield Triclopyr Ester Herbicide Concentrate" to control the Bermuda in a HKBG yard - time will tell if it works ;)

Jeff

citizensauto
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2500
Mower: Toro recycler

Post by citizensauto »

lanc0227 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:32 pm
I ended up waving the white flag. I got good germination in the front yard but the back has no shade. I was spending an arm and a leg on just keeping the dirt moist. Bc of that, nutsedge and spurge took over the back yard and it looked absolutely terrible.
That stinks, my test plot did the same thing came up and checked out!(no shade in my backyard) i did have nutsedge take over luckily no spurge. I think seeding KBG during summer especially in Texas isn't a good idea.

I have read elsewhere that it might pop up again when temps cool off so maybe it's not all a lost cause.

billmajure
Grass Type: Thermal Blue Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000 Sq Ft
Mower: Robomow RS 622

Post by billmajure »

I suggest you try Sargento Tenacity herbicide to kill Bermuda grass in a Kentucky Bluegrass lawn without harming the Bluegrass. I am currently using it to kill stray bermuda grass from my lawn without harming my original but spotty Centipede turf.

Once I've killed off the weeds and bermuda grass, I will be trying to establish Thermal Blue bluegrass in my yard. I'm in a hot climate like you, and your experience has been very informative and helpful. Thank you for that.

jeffcatton wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:42 am

@Captquin the KGB PSF-30 grass is doing very well and I water only 2 times a week. Just ran out and took a quick pic attached here. I got some Bermuda coming through from the neighbor's yards and some in spots where I did not do a good job killing all prior grass - my fault. Overall, very happy with the success during the heat - thick and green. I am even growing some new grass seed in spots where I wanted to redo (takes 2-3 weeks to germinate). This really works well also in the shaded areas (less than 3-4 hours of sun) - side of house (green and thick).

Mine is blending with Bermuda unfortunately, I would really like to find something that will kill Bermuda grass (like a fertilizer or something) and not harm my KBG :D

lanc0227
Grass Type: Latitude 36
Lawn Size: 4500
Mower: Rotary

Post by lanc0227 »

citizensauto wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:39 pm
lanc0227 wrote:
That stinks, my test plot did the same thing came up and checked out!(no shade in my backyard) i did have nutsedge take over luckily no spurge. I think seeding KBG during summer especially in Texas isn't a good idea.

I have read elsewhere that it might pop up again when temps cool off so maybe it's not all a lost cause.

I agree. Jeff’s looks fantastic. I should of waited but not much I can do about it now. I was really looking forward to the KBG.

Captquin

Post by Captquin »

@jeffcatton “northern mix” is just a nice way of saying a hodgepodge of cool season grasses.

L337pcnoob

Post by L337pcnoob »

lanc0227 wrote:
L337pcnoob wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:49 am
lanc0227 wrote:

Aww man sorry to hear, like others have said it may sprout once conditions are met. I think I'll hold off until late August to seed if temperatures allow, until then I guess I'll keep watering my bare soil and kill off anything that grows up until seed.

jeffcatton

Post by jeffcatton »

Captquin wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:07 pm
@jeffcatton “northern mix” is just a nice way of saying a hodgepodge of cool season grasses.
:lol: :lol:

L337pcnoob

Post by L337pcnoob »

So I decided to try to take advantage of the cool front here in Texas (87 degrees and 69 at night) and for testing/research purposes I went ahead and planted. I have enough seed left over to reseed property if needed so why not...

I sprayed tenacity over entire front and back before seed. Then lightly raked and rolled seed in. Then spread peat moss. Roughly 4300 sq ft total, 14 lbs of seed.

Front yard is shaded most of the day until about 3-3-4pm back yard is partially shaded with some areas full blast. Watering 9am,2pm, 6pm 15 minutes per zone everyday. With peat moss on top, hopefully it will stay moist and germinate without issues. Welp here goes nothing... and a high water bill lol