Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
Cdub5_
Grass Type: Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4000
Mower: Toro rotary/Tru cut C25

My Bermuda WILL NOT DIE!!

Post by Cdub5_ »

I'm trying to reno my back yard from common bermuda to SPF-30 Hybrid Bluegrass, but this dang bermuda won't give up. I've hit it now with 4 applications of glyphosate!! After the third round I scalped as far as my mower would go then used a string trimmer to go further and sure enough there are lots of green stolon's imbedded in the top portion of the soil. That's when I hit with the 4th app.

How in the world can I get this bermuda completely killed so I can move on to planting my seed? Am I safe to just move on the the next step and dethatch the crap out of it with my Sun Joe? I'm running out of time :(

Here's part of the yard with some of the green still all over the place (You can't tell from this pic, but trust me haha)

Bermuda to SPF-30 Hybrid Bluegrass Reno Journal
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22321

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Raleigh St Augustine/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 29603 sqft
Mower: Badboy ZT Elite 48

Re: My Bermuda WILL NOT DIE!!

Post by CenlaLowell »

Hey,

Try esplanade ez + roundup quik pro + mso

Also pete from gcu did something interesting he put down fertilizer in hoped of getting Bermuda growth so he could make sure he got everything.
Killing two birds with one stone is the name of the game. :bandit:

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Cenlalowell Bermuda kill off trial

DIY irrigation plan

Bermuda_Rooster
Grass Type: front:419 / back: Royal TXD
Lawn Size: 2500 sq ft
Mower: Earthwise 7-Blade Push Reel

Post by Bermuda_Rooster »

If you want a 100% kill on bermuda, your best option is to lower your expectations. It's not possible.

I'm not kidding. Save some money for bermuda suppression for at least the next several years.

I wouldn't wait too much longer to seed the kbg. Maybe one more app and then go with what you've got.

LoCutt
Grass Type: Tifway 419-II
Lawn Size: 8,000 sq ft
Mower: Toro triplex, several others

Post by LoCutt »

Cdub5_ wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:05 pm
After the third round I scalped as far as my mower would go then used a string trimmer to go further and sure enough there are lots of green stolon's imbedded in the top portion of the soil.
Isn't glyphosate foliar absorbed only?

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 8,000 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56(x2)

Post by Mightyquinn »

How long was the bermuda before you applied your first app? How long did you wait until you mowed? How soon after did you water it in? You should have thrown some Fusilade II in there while you were at it!! What rate did you apply the Glyphosate?

Topic Author
Cdub5_

Post by Cdub5_ »

I was using round up concentrate at 6oz per gallon. (First app I added urea)
Sprayed a week apart.
After 3rd app the yard finally got water 4 days straight from rain in the area.
After the lawn dried up I finally scalped it, and thats when I discovered the green growth under the dead grass canopy.
I sprayed it again.
I'm just going to have to move forward and use some sort of bermuda suppressant or whatever to keep it under control in my hybrid kbg. What chemical or brand is recommended to keep bermuda under control?

adgattoni
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 16000
Mower: Greensmaster Flex 21

Post by adgattoni »

Cdub5_ wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:39 am
I was using round up concentrate at 6oz per gallon. (First app I added urea)
Sprayed a week apart.
After 3rd app the yard finally got water 4 days straight from rain in the area.
After the lawn dried up I finally scalped it, and thats when I discovered the green growth under the dead grass canopy.
I sprayed it again.
I'm just going to have to move forward and use some sort of bermuda suppressant or whatever to keep it under control in my hybrid kbg. What chemical or brand is recommended to keep bermuda under control?
Pylex. It's a multiple year program to achieve control if done properly. I would have done the glyphosate apps 2 weeks apart, with plenty of water and fertilization imbetween. Multiple kickers would have been helpful as well as others have mentioned. If you have a lot of green left over, you're in for an expensive couple of years with Pylex. : (

DFWLawnNut
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda / Zoysia
Lawn Size: 4500sq ft
Mower: Ego/Scotts Elite Reel

Post by DFWLawnNut »

Fusilade II would also help control it if it starts rearing its head again once the KBG is in.

Topic Author
Cdub5_

Post by Cdub5_ »

Thanks for the recommendations.
This whole reno was decided on a whim so preperation was out of the question :)
Just have to cross my fingers and lean on you guys when I need guidance.
Thanks for your help!!

Topic Author
Cdub5_

Post by Cdub5_ »

Well I spent all day dethatching, raking, mowing, and dethatching some more, raking some more, and mowing some more. I am beat!!
Anyway so here is the current condition of the lawn. I'm going to use a lawn butler to aerate next. After that, do you think I am ready to lay down my SPF-30 Hybrid Bluegrass seed? Or should I use my scarifier attachment on my Sun Joe and turn over the soil a bit more?

Here's the green stuff I found all over my lawn :(

Spammage
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000 + 4000 non-irri
Mower: McLane 25" Greenskeeper

Post by Spammage »

@Cdub5_ I've been following this thread just from being intrigued. However, I think you need to go nuclear on the still green bermuda or you will end up disappointed. I don't know how you have mixed your previous apps, but I would go with 6-8 oz per 1000 sf. Mix AMS into the spray tank before the glyphosate, and some citric acid to lower the pH to 4-5 will help too. A surfactant won't hurt, but don't use MSO or COC.

Topic Author
Cdub5_

Post by Cdub5_ »

I've sprayed the hell out of those green areas with a surfacted glyphosate application and that's what it looks like. I'm going to fire up the range and get pots of boiling water and dump all over the yard. Maybe that will get the job done.

Bermuda_Rooster
Grass Type: front:419 / back: Royal TXD
Lawn Size: 2500 sq ft
Mower: Earthwise 7-Blade Push Reel

Post by Bermuda_Rooster »

@Cdub5_: Boiling water, fire, replacing the top 6 feet of soil . . . I would say try it all, except I know you'd still somehow have green shoots of bermuda next Summer. Bermuda is the Rasputin of grasses.

You're just going to have to be vigilant with suppression measures once your KBG is in. Read up on your options (triclopyr, fenoxaprop, fluazifop, topramezone) and be prepared to stick with a regime on a consistent basis for several seasons at least. Either that, or learn to love Bluemuda.

From everything I've seen, once you have bermuda, you're never going to completely not have bermuda.

Topic Author
Cdub5_

Post by Cdub5_ »

LOL at the Rasputin haha
Man no kidding, this stuff won't die. In fact, I think it is invigorated! I just went out to observe and there is definitely a lot more green than yesterday.
As @Spammage suggested I am going to go nuclear one more time on the green sections. I have 3/4 jug of Spectracide so I'm gonna dump that in my 2 gallon sprayer and add about 8 oz of glyphosate and a bit of surfactant. After that it is what it is. I'll just have to manage like you guys said or learn to love bluemuda haha (might not be too bad)

Wax0589
Grass Type: TifWay 419
Lawn Size: 23,788 sqft
Mower: TruCut25"

Post by Wax0589 »

31Aug- what the hell did I do?

15Sep-I'm thankful for having bermuda.

Embrace it.

harold56
Grass Type: Common front, Paspalum rear
Lawn Size: 7500sqft
Mower: John Deere 220e, 180c, Honda

Post by harold56 »

I went through the same thing earlier this summer. Three apps of gly 2 weeks apart, scalped, and still had green stems on the runners which popped out some fresh green leaves. I also gave a healthy dose of fert to keep pushing the bermuda as I was trying to kill it. Unfortunately I too ran out of time and needed to replant, (Seashore Paspalum), so I am going have to suppress going forward. As a side note, does anybody here have any experience with cutting sod to repair bare spots? My thinking was I could continue to kill off the patches of bermuda with gly, then cut sod from inconspicuous spots in the yard to patch the bare spots from the gly? My only concern is how long would the area that the sod pieces are taken from take to repair?