Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
glinget
Grass Type: zeon zoysia
Lawn Size: 5000
Mower: baroness

Zeon Zoysia Questions In Atlanta / Southeast

Post by glinget »

Hello all. Long time lurker first time poster! I live in Atlanta GA and have been working on a home yard project for sometime. We turned the yard at our house from what I considered a haunted house to something really nice. Pics below (front 2659 sq ft of sod, rear 1500 sq ft of sod).

This group inspired me to take my rotary mower and granular yard applications and upgrade them to finding a nice Baroness greens mower and a four gallon battery powered back pack sprayer.

I am sure I am going to have a ton of questions as I take the HOC down this spring. So thanks in advance for taking it easy on the new guy!

Last edited by glinget on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
glinget

Re: Zeon Zoysia Newb

Post by glinget »

Question Number One: I’m dealing with what looks to be crabgrass or poa annua in the backyard. Based on my read of some other threads I am going to laying down some prodiamine (as general pre emergent) and then hitting it with some simazine, certainty, and / or negate (unsure of which products but they are all on order).
Taking any other advice but it sounds like this is best plan of action to rid of this issue.

Last edited by glinget on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
glinget

Re: Zeon Zoysia Newb

Post by glinget »

Question Two: as I am switching this year from milo granulated with rotary spreader and rotary mower to liquid fertilization with baroness reel mower does anyone have any recommendations/ spray plan / liquid fertilizer once green up starts in the next couple of weeks?

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Back-419/Front-Empire
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Re: Zeon Zoysia Questions In Atlanta / Southeast

Post by Redtwin »

Beautiful home! You've done a great job turning it around.

That's Poa A. you are dealing with in the backyard. You could get your pre-em down and just let it die off in the summer or spray it out with the Negate. I don't think the Certainty will be very effective against it but Certainty is a great product to have around especially as the weather gets hot.

As far as fertilizers, you will want to get a soil test to figure out what is needed. Short of that I would just use a balanced fertilizer like a 10-10-10. SiteOne has a 20-20-20 that is dissolvable and can be sprayed. Your soil is quite different up there than down here so hopefully some of the Atlanta Zoysia guys can speak up regarding fertilizer.

Check out @ZeonJNix journals at viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15650 and viewtopic.php?f=26&t=25489&p=361654#p361654.

ENC_Lawn
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Princess 77 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 14,000
Mower: California Trimmer

Post by ENC_Lawn »

Beautiful home!

Great job on the front lawn!

quattljl
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: 2500
Mower: Toro Recycler

Post by quattljl »

@Redtwin Certainty is labeled for use against poa. Are you unsure about Certainty's efficacy due to the time of year (i.e. it needs heat to work best like Celsius)? I don't have Certainty so I don't know.

Oh and @glinget that is a beautiful transformation you've made. My goal is to make my zoysia look as good as yours this year.

ZeonJNix
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: 7,500
Mower: 2014 GM1600

Post by ZeonJNix »

Check out @ZeonJNix journals at viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15650 and viewtopic.php?f=26&t=25489&p=361654#p361654.
[/quote]

Thanks @Redtwin
I just had my soil test done and I am a little low on Phosphorus so the recommendation from UGA was to go with a 15-0-15 on mine. I will find something comparable to those numbers and roll with that for now. I definitely know that Zeon does not need a lot of nitrogen so I would stay away from any of the higher rate ferts - for me it did nothing but spark dollar spot last year. The year before when I had the sod laid I didnt put any fertilizer on it at all and it was super green with no disease issues whatsoever. I will probably only apply the 15-0-15 3 times this year. May, late June and mid August or something along those lines.

Topic Author
glinget

Post by glinget »

ZeonJNix wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:36 am
Thanks @Redtwin
I just had my soil test done and I am a little low on Phosphorus so the recommendation from UGA was to go with a 15-0-15 on mine. I will find something comparable to those numbers and roll with that for now. I definitely know that Zeon does not need a lot of nitrogen so I would stay away from any of the higher rate ferts - for me it did nothing but spark dollar spot last year. The year before when I had the sod laid I didnt put any fertilizer on it at all and it was super green with no disease issues whatsoever. I will probably only apply the 15-0-15 3 times this year. May, late June and mid August or something along those lines.
[/quote]

I am awaiting my UGA soil test results now ... but am planning to core aerate and USGA spec sand level this weekend. I have seen a lot of folks that mix in fert After the aeration and before the sand. Should I grab a bag of milorganite (or something else) to help push some growth while stressing the lawn with sand?im asking mostly because I am awaiting my soil results and have seen a weak/ slow green up and don’t want to over stress the lawn ...

FATC1TY
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: GM1600

Post by FATC1TY »

glinget wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:44 pm
ZeonJNix wrote:
Thanks @Redtwin
I am awaiting my UGA soil test results now ... but am planning to core aerate and USGA spec sand level this weekend. I have seen a lot of folks that mix in fert After the aeration and before the sand. Should I grab a bag of milorganite (or something else) to help push some growth while stressing the lawn with sand?im asking mostly because I am awaiting my soil results and have seen a weak/ slow green up and don’t want to over stress the lawn ...
[/quote]

Skip the milorganite and get a fast release fert. It’s cheaper and better.

Go find a 34-0-0 to toss down during the level.

jayhawk
Grass Type: zoysia; tifgrand beauty strip
Lawn Size: Yuuuge 2500
Mower: TruCut

Post by jayhawk »

Your zeon is surely green now but it's not really going to grow much in these temps and therefore
I'd just wait for your results ....but I'd guess you'll be adding P&K....but if you want to 'jump it', fast release.

Our yard sizes (smaller side) I don't know that it's worth the preEm battle. Good stuff (not barricade) is sold in size, challenges the diy (time equip supplies) vs hiring. You just have know they are not using mediocre stuff

ZeonJNix

Post by ZeonJNix »

glinget wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:44 pm
ZeonJNix wrote:
Thanks @Redtwin
[/quote]

If it were me I would wait just a few more weeks for the aerating and sanding. My lawn is not growing strong either just yet and ideally you want to wait until its growing strong to aerate and sand, plus it's still a little early to be throwing down fertilizer on Zeon. I've dealt with the fungus issues in the past and my plan is to wait until mid May before I do my 1st app of fert and even then it is going to be very low dose.

If you do decide to go ahead and do it now I dont think you are going to hurt anything at all, but it might take a little longer to break through the sand completely. A mild fert will work such as the milorganite. Good luck!

Twodollarblue
Grass Type: Geo Zoysia
Lawn Size: 1500
Mower: Greensmaster Flex-21

Post by Twodollarblue »

Ditto on what @ZeonJNix said about waiting. I plan to aerate and top dress as well but won’t do so until it’s growing at full steam. I’m guessing mid to late May as well since it’s been a pretty slow start this April. Generally I’ll give it 0.1N once I get that full green up and then a couple weeks later I’ll aerate and give it another 0.1N.

Topic Author
glinget

Post by glinget »

[/quote]

If it were me I would wait just a few more weeks for the aerating and sanding. My lawn is not growing strong either just yet and ideally you want to wait until its growing strong to aerate and sand, plus it's still a little early to be throwing down fertilizer on Zeon. I've dealt with the fungus issues in the past and my plan is to wait until mid May before I do my 1st app of fert and even then it is going to be very low dose.

If you do decide to go ahead and do it now I dont think you are going to hurt anything at all, but it might take a little longer to break through the sand completely. A mild fert will work such as the milorganite. Good luck!
[/quote]

ha - i was using your 2020 lawn journal as a reference guide to timing of sanding - looked like you did in first/second week of April.

everything is on order, including labor, to help. i think I am going to proceed this weekend and hope for the best and know that it might not push through the sand as fast which will require some patience.

marcjw
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: 5,800
Mower: GM1000

Post by marcjw »

ZeonJNix wrote:
Thanks @Redtwin
[/quote]

Just curious for my own learning...isn't phosphorus the middle value in the 15-0-15? If so if you're low, I would think they would recommend a fert with phosphorus?

ZeonJNix

Post by ZeonJNix »

@marcjw good catch. I meant to say Potassium was low :)

@glinget haha. Do as I say, not as I do!! j/k I did do it at this time last year, but after lots of reading on Zeon over the last year and battling with large patch I decided my best route would be to wait a little later this year. You should be fine doing it now!

DIY Lawn and Garden Products