glinget wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:44 pm
I just had my soil test done and I am a little low on Phosphorus so the recommendation from UGA was to go with a 15-0-15 on mine. I will find something comparable to those numbers and roll with that for now. I definitely know that Zeon does not need a lot of nitrogen so I would stay away from any of the higher rate ferts - for me it did nothing but spark dollar spot last year. The year before when I had the sod laid I didnt put any fertilizer on it at all and it was super green with no disease issues whatsoever. I will probably only apply the 15-0-15 3 times this year. May, late June and mid August or something along those lines.
I am awaiting my UGA soil test results now ... but am planning to core aerate and USGA spec sand level this weekend. I have seen a lot of folks that mix in fert After the aeration and before the sand. Should I grab a bag of milorganite (or something else) to help push some growth while stressing the lawn with sand?im asking mostly because I am awaiting my soil results and have seen a weak/ slow green up and don’t want to over stress the lawn ...
If it were me I would wait just a few more weeks for the aerating and sanding. My lawn is not growing strong either just yet and ideally you want to wait until its growing strong to aerate and sand, plus it's still a little early to be throwing down fertilizer on Zeon. I've dealt with the fungus issues in the past and my plan is to wait until mid May before I do my 1st app of fert and even then it is going to be very low dose.
If you do decide to go ahead and do it now I dont think you are going to hurt anything at all, but it might take a little longer to break through the sand completely. A mild fert will work such as the milorganite. Good luck!