2021 | What did you do with your lawn today?

Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
DeepC
Grass Type: Bermuda 419
Lawn Size: 11000
Mower: Rotary, Jacobsen 526a

Re: 2021 | What did you do with your lawn today?

Post by DeepC »

Redtwin wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:57 am
DSchlauch wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:37 am
robbybobby wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:00 am
Flood irrigation delivered this morning. While inconvenient for sleep the 4a-6a window was nice to avoid the sun. Ive settled in at 2 hours of water for a good consistent fill. We can take a max of 3 hours. Slightly modified my approach today. Filling up the front first (takes 30min) then letting it soak in a little. I came back with about 20 min left and topped it off again.

:o
My thoughts exactly! What in the wide wide world of sports is going on here?
WTF :shock:

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Back-419/Front-Empire
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin »

@robbybobby I lived in Tucson for a few years in the early 90s and never heard of this. It sounds like an awesome option for desert lawns if it is available.

DSchlauch
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda - Tifway 419 / Common
Lawn Size: 20,000 sq ft
Mower: Baroness LM56/Cal Trimmer

Post by DSchlauch »

@robbybobby that's pretty interesting

Wax0589
Grass Type: TifWay 419
Lawn Size: 23,788 sqft
Mower: TruCut25"

Post by Wax0589 »

This is from yesterday. Too tired and late to post. This was my scheduled late spring detatch/scalp that got push back due to weather. Scalped down to what ever the lowest setting with the TruCut-I guess like 0.25in.

End of the day.

To my surprise, there was almost zero dead debris/tatch coming out. The pulled material looked pretty clean. I'm debating between let it be or finish the rest of the yard.

Amoo316
Grass Type: Centipede/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2acres
Mower: Scag Cheetah II 61"

Post by Amoo316 »

ag_fishing wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:52 am
Amoo316 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:28 pm
So this happened today, not even in the same ballpark as having a "residential mower"

That seat looks like it rides like a Cadillac. I’ve been looking at upgrading from my John Deere ZT (cheapest one they make) to a toro with the seat like yours. The normal seat on a zero turn feels like you’re riding in a wood wagon from the 1800s
I made the comment earlier, but it's worth repeating. I have been in/on mowers with just the shock for the seat, IMO you still feel bumps in your back. I have not been in the Toro, but I would assume it's similar, because the entire assembly you are sitting on moves, you feel the bumps more because you are moving more, but your back is not taking the impact. I would highly recommend a system like this be it from Toro or anybody.

Kind of like my Ram boxes on my truck, once you have them, can't go back to a regular bed. This makes that much of a difference IMO and was the reason I got the Cheetah over the Tiger Cat (direct shaft), price was close enough that I chose comfort over potential durability.

Austinite
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda: Celebration
Lawn Size: 5500
Mower: Electra+Edwin+Timemaster+Allet

Post by Austinite »

Replaced my Hose 2-Way Y-Valves with Eley, no more leaks! Also added a 1/4 turn valve to each spigot so that I don't have to turn the wheel 10 times. First world problems!

ag_fishing
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: John Deere z335e

Post by ag_fishing »

Amoo316 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:01 pm
ag_fishing wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:52 am
Amoo316 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:28 pm
So this happened today, not even in the same ballpark as having a "residential mower"

That seat looks like it rides like a Cadillac. I’ve been looking at upgrading from my John Deere ZT (cheapest one they make) to a toro with the seat like yours. The normal seat on a zero turn feels like you’re riding in a wood wagon from the 1800s
I made the comment earlier, but it's worth repeating. I have been in/on mowers with just the shock for the seat, IMO you still feel bumps in your back. I have not been in the Toro, but I would assume it's similar, because the entire assembly you are sitting on moves, you feel the bumps more because you are moving more, but your back is not taking the impact. I would highly recommend a system like this be it from Toro or anybody.

Kind of like my Ram boxes on my truck, once you have them, can't go back to a regular bed. This makes that much of a difference IMO and was the reason I got the Cheetah over the Tiger Cat (direct shaft), price was close enough that I chose comfort over potential durability.
Yes that’s how my current John Deere is, just 2 little springs under the seat and man my back doesn’t appreciate any bumps whatsoever. Hoping to have one like yours or the toro at some point

Another note..does yours have the vanguard big block engine? It’s crazy seeing those motors on lawn mowers after having only seen them on duck hunting rigs
Last edited by ag_fishing on Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amoo316
Grass Type: Centipede/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2acres
Mower: Scag Cheetah II 61"

Post by Amoo316 »

ag_fishing wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:32 pm
Yes that’s how my current John Deere is, just 2 little springs under the seat and man my back doesn’t appreciate any bumps whatsoever. Hoping to have one like yours or the toro at some point
Just to clarify, I think we were talking about two different things. My old Deere, like yours, just has the springs. They work about as well as nipples on a boar hog. A lot of the new mowers have gone to a system where they put an actual shock under your seat (think like a shock on a car) to absorb the impact. This works pretty good, much better then the worthless springs. The floating platform is next level.

Sorry I just wanted to clarify, there are 3 systems going right now that I am aware of/have used. I would call it a good/better/best system, but I have a hard time calling the old school springs good at all.

I have (in the shop the Z540M) similar to your Z series.

robbybobby
Lawn Size: 18K
Mower: Toro 3100

Post by robbybobby »

Maintaining all at .700.

Pictures are 12 hours apart. Was able to get a quick mow in the front but the back is pretty damp. I need to be better about always having my catchers on. It is too easy to mow without them but my clippings arent fine enough to go unnoticed. Unsure of the cultivator in the front but was told it was seeded. Back is mostly common.

ag_fishing
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: John Deere z335e

Post by ag_fishing »

Amoo316 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:44 pm
ag_fishing wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:32 pm
Just to clarify, I think we were talking about two different things. My old Deere, like yours, just has the springs. They work about as well as nipples on a boar hog. A lot of the new mowers have gone to a system where they put an actual shock under your seat (think like a shock on a car) to absorb the impact. This works pretty good, much better then the worthless springs. The floating platform is next level.

Sorry I just wanted to clarify, there are 3 systems going right now that I am aware of/have used. I would call it a good/better/best system, but I have a hard time calling the old school springs good at all.

I have (in the shop the Z540M) similar to your Z series.
Oh wow. Yeah I was unaware there was a middle ground with a shock instead of springs under the seat. My next mower will be the floating platform most likely since I spend so much time mowing.

andymac7
Grass Type: Yukon Bermuda / Nimblewilll
Lawn Size: .75 acre
Mower: Jacobsen TriKing 1900D

Post by andymac7 »

southernbuckeye wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:37 am

Cut to normal .400” HOC, then double verticut, then scalped to .180”. It’s mad at me now but in a couple weeks it’ll thank me.
Kids, that's how you friggin' scalp. :lol: I am not that brave (or should it be- I'm not that smart? :? ).
I commonly enjoy the impossible: watching plants grow.

andymac7

Post by andymac7 »

robbybobby wrote:
Flood irrigation delivered this morning. While inconvenient for sleep the 4a-6a window was nice to avoid the sun. Ive settled in at 2 hours of water for a good consistent fill. We can take a max of 3 hours. Slightly modified my approach today. Filling up the front first (takes 30min) then letting it soak in a little. I came back with about 20 min left and topped it off again.

Dude... what the... what? Are you starting a fish hatchery? :lol:

I'll be very curious of about what happens here.

DSchlauch
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda - Tifway 419 / Common
Lawn Size: 20,000 sq ft
Mower: Baroness LM56/Cal Trimmer

Post by DSchlauch »

andymac7 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:54 am
robbybobby wrote:

Haha, yeah, I thought he was planting a rice field. Check this out.

andymac7

Post by andymac7 »

DSchlauch wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:10 pm
andymac7 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:54 am
robbybobby wrote:

Haha, yeah, I thought he was planting a rice field. Check this out.
This is insane! Lol. Pretty cool though :). A completely foreign concept to me here in OH.

robbybobby
Lawn Size: 18K
Mower: Toro 3100

Post by robbybobby »

@AndyBohlig @DSchlauch Happy to bring some confusion to the site lol. I don't think my lawn was going to stand out for the quality of cut so Ill run with this!

FlaDave
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: 4400 sq/ft
Mower: Jacobsen pgm 22

Post by FlaDave »

robbybobby wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:20 pm
@AndyBohlig @DSchlauch Happy to bring some confusion to the site lol. I don't think my lawn was going to stand out for the quality of cut so Ill run with this!
I'm kinda jealous. I bet this would be an amazing mole deterrent, Especially if your whole neighborhood does it. Sadly here in Florida we don't have the means to do so unless you figure salt water. Everything here is restricted water wise.

DeepC
Grass Type: Bermuda 419
Lawn Size: 11000
Mower: Rotary, Jacobsen 526a

Post by DeepC »

robbybobby wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:20 pm
Happy to bring some confusion to the site lol.
Yea this is crazy. I watched that video too. Pretty interesting. I'm going to try this with my neighbor's hose!

ShadowGuy
Grass Type: Kikmuda & St. Kikuyu
Lawn Size: 2500sqft
Mower: McLane 20" Reel & M140 Rotary

Post by ShadowGuy »

Installed some tiki torches. The dim light hides all the imperfections.

Faintly striping under moonlight.

Embracing the Kikuyu blend in Socal.
Lawn Journal viewtopic.php?f=26&t=24821&p=406461#p406461

ReelMowLow74
Lawn Size: 5000sf
Mower: 20” McLane 10blade

Post by ReelMowLow74 »

Got an afternoon cut in. Maintaining at .525” for now.

-Randall-
5000sf Bermuda
Dallas
:thumbup:

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Raleigh St Augustine/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 30,800sqft
Mower: Badboy ZT Elite 48w/ odoc

Post by CenlaLowell »

Sprayed quinclorac, mso, and monument. Wish me luck
Killing two birds with one stone is the name of the game. :bandit:

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Cenlalowell Bermuda kill off trial

DIY irrigation plan