Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
DFW245
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Small-Medium
Mower: Manual 4-blade Reel Mower

HOC Reset after Seeding

Post by DFW245 »

How soon after seeding would it be alright to perform a HOC reset @ about 12hrs of daylight and temps in the mid 90s during the day and mid 70s at night. Reason i ask is because, I seeded some Monaco(beautiful grass btw) and then 30 days later I cut. It was at about 2.5-4" tall. So we decided to cut it at 2.5" or so. Looked perfect. However, I wanted the HOC to be more around the 1" height. Read directions to cut first and then a few days later cut down to your HOC that you want. After that I waited about 2 days and performed a reset down to .75" Plan on leaving it at about 1". Only issue is, after a week now, the color has shifted drastically and doesnt seem to be recovering as fast as anticipated. It gets water everyday and even threw down some Iron just to green it a tad bit more. Now I have yellowing in spots and slow growth. Should I hit it with some N? Or does it normally take longer than a week for a HOC reset scalp to grow back? Since the color has shifted to a much much much lighter green and yellow in some spots, i considered just going back to a 2" HOC just to keep that very dark green color. Any help is appreciated

Topic Author
DFW245

Re: HOC Reset after Seeding

Post by DFW245 »

Here are pics after first cut @2.5
And even the bag of iron I used. Have it sitting in the grass just for color reference. This Monaco is incredibly dark. Before it was cut, the grass was the same color as the Ironite bag. Used a Rotary mower and bagged the clippings

Topic Author
DFW245

Post by DFW245 »

This is after cut down to .75" two days later. Used a reel mower.

And this is 2 days after that HOC reset.

Topic Author
DFW245

Post by DFW245 »

This is currently. Pics just taken, 9/14, 9 days after the HOC reset.

Topic Author
DFW245

Post by DFW245 »

anyone?

Topic Author
DFW245

Post by DFW245 »

Bump

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Back-419/Front-Empire
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin »

I think it looks pretty good at the current HOC. There was not much scalping at all. I'd leave it there for the rest of the season and just plan on a hard scalp in the spring.

Topic Author
DFW245

Post by DFW245 »

Redtwin wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:23 pm
I think it looks pretty good at the current HOC. There was not much scalping at all. I'd leave it there for the rest of the season and just plan on a hard scalp in the spring.
Thanks. Does it normally take longer than a week for Bermuda to green back up after a HOC reset?

Redtwin
TLF Supporter

Post by Redtwin »

It usually only take a couple of weeks if the weather is still warm.

Topic Author
DFW245

Post by DFW245 »

Redtwin wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:11 am
It usually only take a couple of weeks if the weather is still warm.
Ah a couple of weeks, ok. Being impatient again I see. Well I hit it with a little bit of N/K. Also, in my vanity strip I'm noticing TONS of reddish/purple Monaco coming up. That and some areas are SUPER dark green and others are a shade of yellow-green it seems. Any reason for those to be happening? Here are a few pics

Topic Author
DFW245

Post by DFW245 »

Bump

Redtwin
TLF Supporter

Post by Redtwin »

I would just let it ride and recover. Keep mowing it regularly at the maintenance HOC for the rest of the season and get ready to go full blast next season. I would only lightly fertilize it this time of year and only with fast release. I'm not a seeding expert but I believe the reddish/purple color is normal for some seedlings. I might have missed it in the original post but when did you put down the Monoco?

Topic Author
DFW245

Post by DFW245 »

Redtwin wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:43 am
I would just let it ride and recover. Keep mowing it regularly at the maintenance HOC for the rest of the season and get ready to go full blast next season. I would only lightly fertilize it this time of year and only with fast release. I'm not a seeding expert but I believe the reddish/purple color is normal for some seedlings. I might have missed it in the original post but when did you put down the Monoco?
Ah ok. Yeah I had planned on just increasing root depth this season and hitting it hard next year. And yeah Monaco was seeded August 7. So it's been over a month. Side strip came in great, vanity is taking a while, and front lawn overseed I'm not too sure about. I did see some small growth this morning tho. But yes, I planned on continuing the routine. Actually increased HOC to 1.25" let it get a tad taller and a smidge darker.

And if the red/purple is normal then perhaps I just wait it out. Found a bag on clearance, Scotts summer guard with the Bifen in it. So I said screw it. Threw down at most .2lbs of N. My last hit for the year.