SPF-30 hybrid bluegrass

Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Turf Jitsu
Grass Type: Front: Centipede; Back: TF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Toro

Re: SPF-30 hybrid bluegrass

Post by Turf Jitsu »

I think I’ll be using SPF30 next fall when I overseed my TTTF/KBG lawn. Im in central NC and it gets hotter than Hades over here with humidity levels similar to a sauna. Soil suck too as it is sand.
Front yard: Centipede—Sod

Back yard: GCI TTTF w/ Midnight KBG — renovation started 9/3/2021

jeffcatton
Grass Type: KBG SPF-30
Lawn Size: .5
Mower: Normal Push

Post by jeffcatton »

spartanlawn wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:17 pm
Two weeks since seeding. Most of the green now IS grass. I will cut today at 3"-- more to mulch some of the leaves and sticks starting to come down but I did leave a strip of uncontaminated grass that needs trimming. I will put down extra seed and a bale of straw to cover some of the remaining bare areas. I will put down fertilizer again tomorrow too--same amount as two weeks ago.
Wow nice, from September 10th to 17th your grass spouted nicely!

jeffcatton

Post by jeffcatton »

Turf Jitsu wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:41 pm
I think I’ll be using SPF30 next fall when I overseed my TTTF/KBG lawn. Im in central NC and it gets hotter than Hades over here with humidity levels similar to a sauna. Soil suck too as it is sand.
All the best on having awesome grass! Great time of year to get it done!

Lem855
Grass Type: St. Aug/ Bermuda -SPF-30
Lawn Size: 3.5k
Mower: Fiskars mower- Troy Bilt

Post by Lem855 »

Finaly ready for seeding the back yard. Not sure about the 101 temp but I'm ready. Aerated the yard with some human core aeration :nod: Put down some humichar then watered in the bio stem pack from green county fert, Air8, Humic 12, Micro Green, and Rgs yesterday. Today 4 yards of mixed soil for wizQstone and leveled and graded the yard towards the drains we put in last week. I can sure only pray for now that the temps drop some and allow me to pre germinate the seed for application next week. 🙏

Almost Awesome
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 20,000 SF
Mower: Troy Bilt

Post by Almost Awesome »

Hey guys long time reader first time poster. I am ready to order the seed for my reno in my heavily shaded back yard. I would like to do all spf but I am a bit worried it will struggle in so much shade. I am also thinking about outside pride's extreme souther zone mix of spf and TTTF.

Curious to hear yall's thoughts/ experience on spf vs a mix of spf and TTTF for a heavily shaded yard. Lawn is irrigated.

spartanlawn
Grass Type: spf30
Lawn Size: 0.6 acres
Mower: deere

Post by spartanlawn »

Lem855 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:38 pm
Finaly ready for seeding the back yard. Not sure about the 101 temp but I'm ready. Aerated the yard with some human core aeration :nod: Put down some humichar then watered in the bio stem pack from green county fert, Air8, Humic 12, Micro Green, and Rgs yesterday. Today 4 yards of mixed soil for wizQstone and leveled and graded the yard towards the drains we put in last week. I can sure only pray for now that the temps drop some and allow me to pre germinate the seed for application next week. 🙏

@Lem855 wow! Lots and lots of prep! Probably going to lead to an awesome lawn

spartanlawn
Grass Type: spf30
Lawn Size: 0.6 acres
Mower: deere

Post by spartanlawn »

Almost Awesome wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:24 pm
Hey guys long time reader first time poster. I am ready to order the seed for my reno in my heavily shaded back yard. I would like to do all spf but I am a bit worried it will struggle in so much shade. I am also thinking about outside pride's extreme souther zone mix of spf and TTTF.

Curious to hear yall's thoughts/ experience on spf vs a mix of spf and TTTF for a heavily shaded yard. Lawn is irrigated.

@Almost Awesome I would say it's pretty ok in the shade. My backyard looks somewhat similar as far as shade content. I may have said 'pretty good' in June but the heat and humidity really thinned it. I have overseeded and started fertilizing I'm unsure as to how it'll bounce back.

@jeffcatton replied to a similar question I had about shade expectations in this forum/thread. He has a super stand of this so I might think his post is about the best that can be expected. I'm not sure what page it is on.
While shade is important, from my experience I've found various thickness of the grass may also vary on differences in top soil composition/depth, water retention and runoff, sprinkling and fertilizer uniformity, type of tree overhead, height of cut, etc. In other words my mostly shaded backyard seems to have a lot of variation in thickness and these are some more obvious reasons I could come up with.

Lem855

Post by Lem855 »

spartanlawn wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:39 pm
Lem855 wrote:

@Lem855 wow! Lots and lots of prep! Probably going to lead to an awesome lawn
I'm ready to be done if you get what I mean, but surely would love to just have a nicer back yard this fall and spring. The wife deserves it for putting up with this lol.

jeffcatton

Post by jeffcatton »

Lem855 wrote:

@Lem855 That is 10 times the preparation I did - wow, your yard will look amazing in a few months! All the best to a beautiful yard - nice job!

jeffcatton

Post by jeffcatton »

spartanlawn wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:54 pm
Almost Awesome wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:24 pm

@Almost Awesome I would say it's pretty ok in the shade. My backyard looks somewhat similar as far as shade content. I may have said 'pretty good' in June but the heat and humidity really thinned it. I have overseeded and started fertilizing I'm unsure as to how it'll bounce back.

@jeffcatton replied to a similar question I had about shade expectations in this forum/thread. He has a super stand of this so I might think his post is about the best that can be expected. I'm not sure what page it is on.
While shade is important, from my experience I've found various thickness of the grass may also vary on differences in top soil composition/depth, water retention and runoff, sprinkling and fertilizer uniformity, type of tree overhead, height of cut, etc. In other words my mostly shaded backyard seems to have a lot of variation in thickness and these are some more obvious reasons I could come up with.

@Almost Awesome check out this on page 24 -> viewtopic.php?p=405129#p405129 from @grassgrassgrass post.

He used TTTF and SPF-30 mixed ... he explains it really well.

I only use SPF-30 and it grows well in shaded area with very little sun (under trees/between houses) or no direct sun (behind house).

Lem855

Post by Lem855 »

After doing some research for starter fert I decided on scotts starter fert with mesotrione then finally seeded and fert and raked in like @jeffcaton mentioned. Hosed in some gcf GreenStart and Rgs, then decided to go with Pennington straw with tack. I couldn't find mulch lock localy so I decided to go with this option. Water schedule for 10 min on 7am-11-3-7pm till we see green. I was planning on pre-germinating the seed but with the weather dropping to between 60-mid 80's there's no better time than now! And didn't want to lose this window. Lets hope and 🙏 she will come in nicely.
Nothing more happier than watching your babies take a nappy nappy until they wakey wakey!
Thanks to all you SPF30 guys for helping me along the way!
I'm tired 😫

bill101
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass SPF 30
Lawn Size: 8000 sq ft
Mower: Robomow RS622

Post by bill101 »

Lem855 wrote:
<p> Go ahead and plant the seed. It's not important what the temperature is when you plant, as long as it drops to good fall temperatures within a few days afterwards. - Fall is finally here in Madison, MS and my seed planted last week is just starting to sprout. <p> Looks like you have done a lot of work, and will have a great lawn.

CorpRaider
Grass Type: TTTF/SPF-30
Lawn Size: 10000 SF
Mower: Echo Battery

Post by CorpRaider »

Got some SPF 30 sprouts about a week after seed down with only moderately diligent watering (and some rain).
I blog about finance stuff from time to time at: https://www.thecorpraider.com

cokenner
Grass Type: TTTF Water Saver
Lawn Size: 2800
Mower: Toro Super Recycler 21385

Post by cokenner »

Seeded on Labor Day.

9/14
9/23

Will be doing my next round of tenacity soon. Still contemplating when to put down fert. Either very soon, or the 30 day mark from germination. Need to reseed some bare spots too.

jeffcatton

Post by jeffcatton »

cokenner wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:47 pm
Seeded on Labor Day.

9/14
9/23

Will be doing my next round of tenacity soon. Still contemplating when to put down fert. Either very soon, or the 30 day mark from germination. Need to reseed some bare spots too.
@cokenner Very Nice! Coming along at the perfect time.

klsmith259
Grass Type: SPF 30 KBG and Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: HRX217VKA & Tru-Cut 25

Post by klsmith259 »

Cut at 1 inch. This is nearing the end of the second application of PGR. I think I hit it a little too hard on the second application either with PGR or Nitrogen. As you can see the less mature, thinner blades of grass died off or were stressed/burnt. What's left is the thicker blades of grass. The color and texture looks better. Of course I can't get around the dog urine spots. I water them in, the wife doesn't always, sometimes the dog only goes in the mulch. Just part of the battle.

I'm going to continue to apply PGR and Nitro and see how it fills in over the fall/winter. Definitely have some leveling to do.

cokenner
Grass Type: TTTF Water Saver
Lawn Size: 2800
Mower: Toro Super Recycler 21385

Post by cokenner »

klsmith259 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:23 am
Cut at 1 inch. This is nearing the end of the second application of PGR. I think I hit it a little too hard on the second application either with PGR or Nitrogen. As you can see the less mature, thinner blades of grass died off or were stressed/burnt. What's left is the thicker blades of grass. The color and texture looks better. Of course I can't get around the dog urine spots. I water them in, the wife doesn't always, sometimes the dog only goes in the mulch. Just part of the battle.

I'm going to continue to apply PGR and Nitro and see how it fills in over the fall/winter. Definitely have some leveling to do.

I’m hoping I can keep it @ 1”-1.5”. Might have to invest in some PGR soon.

klsmith259
Grass Type: SPF 30 KBG and Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: HRX217VKA & Tru-Cut 25

Post by klsmith259 »

Without PGR you would need to cut everyday at least based on my experience at 1 inch. 1.5 maybe every other day depending on water and fertilizer.

The_Dave
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 11,000 sq ft
Mower: 25” Cal Trimmer

Post by The_Dave »

The Bluemuda Experiment is underway…

This section of my yard gets relatively little sunlight with the house and the fence right there, and probably a lot less now that the neighboring house is going up.

I’m so sick of looking at brown grass for five months out of the year, but I don’t want to go through the hassle of a ryegrass oversees every year, so here we are.

PGR on the Bermuda, then scalped the next day. Seed down, peat moss on top, watered. These shots are from just after finishing up yesterday.

I don’t think I’ll be putting fert down for a while, I don’t want to stimulate the Bermuda at this point. We’ve got pretty mild weather here for the next few days, then back up into the mid-80s for a while. If things go well, I’ll do the rest of the yard this way as well.

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Raleigh St Augustine/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 30,800sqft
Mower: Badboy ZT Elite 48w/ odoc

Post by CenlaLowell »

I'll figure in a few seasons I'll have to do this because of shade from crepe myrtles. How long are y'all going without pre emergent before putting seeds down?
Killing two birds with one stone is the name of the game. :bandit:

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Cenlalowell Bermuda kill off trial

DIY irrigation plan