Lawn Care Forum banner

Vole or mole damage?

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  LittleBearBermuda 
#1 ·
Came home from work today and saw this. Now sure what to make of it.

See less See more
#5 ·
I bought a trap and set it up over one of the moles tunnel. Since the afternoon I set the trap, the mole has not been back. It has been 6 days. The mole is either very smart (not likely) or a snake, coyote or hawk got it? Or is it possible he just abandoned the tunnels? I want to remove the trap from my lawn but it would be disappointing to wake and find it has returned. How long should I keep the trap on the lawn?

#6 ·
The mole probably will not use that tunnel again. It most likely made that one while looking for food. Find a travel tunnel and set your trap there. In my experience those are typically found against the house, along the edge of a bed, and along or under a fence line.

#8 ·
Aircooled said:
A good tip on how to find the travel tunnel. Flatten all the tunnels you can find with your foot. Come back the next day and the if one of your flattened tunnels is raised again...that's your travel tunnel. Put the trap there.
This is what I do and I usually get them in a day or two. They have a really good sense of smell so try to avoid touching any parts that go into the ground.

#10 ·
Redtwin said:
Aircooled said:
A good tip on how to find the travel tunnel. Flatten all the tunnels you can find with your foot. Come back the next day and the if one of your flattened tunnels is raised again...that's your travel tunnel. Put the trap there.
This is what I do and I usually get them in a day or two. They have a really good sense of smell so try to avoid touching any parts that go into the ground.
I didn't consider their sense of smell. Good possibility they don't like the smell of Prodiamine and Pennant Magnum. I searched around for tunnels under my pinestraw and did not find any. I did find a hole but it was in the pinestraw in front of one of the previous tunnels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.