Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
Colem2ad
Grass Type: KBG/TTTF/PRG
Lawn Size: 2 Acres
Mower: Cub Cadet

Winter Glyphosate/Killing off Common Bermuda

Post by Colem2ad »

I’m considering nuking my entire yard with glyphosate this winter around January 1.

My yard is infested with common bermuda and other cool season cultivars. It’s more cost effective to nuke the entire yard rather than purchasing very expensive chemicals to only suppress the common bermuda after several applications.

Has anyone applied glyphosate to a yard in Winter? What kind of results did you have?

I would like to prep the yard for a spring kbg renovation. Any one ever done this?

Automate
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: riding

Re: Winter Glyphosate/Killing off Common Bermuda

Post by Automate »

Glyphosate or any other herbicide will not kill dormant Bermuda.

SWB
Grass Type: bermuda
Lawn Size: 2 acres
Mower: Exmark Turf Tracer

Post by SWB »

Glyphosate will kill just about any common weed that is actively growing. It will not do any thing to the Bermuda. Even when Bermuda is actively growing at best it will stunt it a bit.

cavince79
Grass Type: Zeon front/TifTuf back
Lawn Size: 5000
Mower: Honda 21"/McLane reel

Post by cavince79 »

I would spray areas of my dormant Bermuda in January each year to kill off fescue clumps and other weeds. It didn't do anything to the Bermuda but give it room to run when it warmed up in my case, which was my goal.

Topic Author
Colem2ad
Grass Type: KBG/TTTF/PRG
Lawn Size: 2 Acres
Mower: Cub Cadet

Post by Colem2ad »

Thanks for the advice. Anyone ever completed a lawn reno by applying glyphosate to a common bermuda lawn during growing season before?

FATC1TY
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: GM1600

Post by FATC1TY »

It’ll still come back in spots. You’ll need to spray and probably remove and replace some of your top layer of soil depending how much you have going on.

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: TifGrand (ST-5)
Lawn Size: 7,500 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56(x2)

Post by Mightyquinn »

If you are wanting to kill off bermuda, the best time is to spray it is in the Fall right before it goes to sleep as it will draw in the chemicals deeper as it is storing food for Winter. You would want to spray it with a Glyphosate/Fusilade combo at least twice before it goes dormant at least 2 weeks apart. That will kill most of it and then you will need to spray one or two more times in the Spring once it wakes up. Doing some mechanical removal of as much of the old material as possible will also help to rid the lawn/soil of the bermuda. This is basically what I did before I switched from 419 to TifGrand this year. I also was able to sod cut most of the existing turf out before doing any spraying as I gave it away to someone who wanted it.
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.” -Thomas Sowell

SWB
Grass Type: bermuda
Lawn Size: 2 acres
Mower: Exmark Turf Tracer

Post by SWB »

Colem2ad wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:44 pm
Thanks for the advice. Anyone ever completed a lawn reno by applying glyphosate to a common bermuda lawn during growing season before?
I did several years ago (glyphosate / physical removal) and the common eventually came back in areas. As Quinn said, adding Fusillade in the mix would be a good idea. Bermuda can be tuff stuff to eradicate.

JLavoe
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: 4800 sq ft.
Mower: California Trimmer RL207H

Post by JLavoe »

@Colem2ad You CAN spray your dormant bermuda with triclopyr.. it will still move through stolons and rhizomes even when foliage is brown. Save the Gly/Fusilade for when it's actively growing.

latitude36
Grass Type: latitude 36 bermuda
Lawn Size: 20000
Mower: John Deer 2500a

Post by latitude36 »

Mightyquinn wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:43 pm
If you are wanting to kill off bermuda, the best time is to spray it is in the Fall right before it goes to sleep as it will draw in the chemicals deeper as it is storing food for Winter. You would want to spray it with a Glyphosate/Fusilade combo at least twice before it goes dormant at least 2 weeks apart. That will kill most of it and then you will need to spray one or two more times in the Spring once it wakes up. Doing some mechanical removal of as much of the old material as possible will also help to rid the lawn/soil of the bermuda. This is basically what I did before I switched from 419 to TifGrand this year. I also was able to sod cut most of the existing turf out before doing any spraying as I gave it away to someone who wanted it.
I have 10K of common in a parcel behind my hybrid that I planned on cutting out with a sod cutter this spring and replacing with hybrid in the Spring. I am having real concerns about the common poking up in my new grass after the new sod goes in. I am planning this project for early spring and will nuke before cutting out however; its more than likely 50% dormant when this is done. Any thoughts?

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: TifGrand (ST-5)
Lawn Size: 7,500 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56(x2)

Post by Mightyquinn »

If it's still a little green, I would go ahead and hit it with the Gly/Fusilade combo but wait for a warm day to do it as it will be more likely the grass will absorb more of the product. You can also add a little bit of Nitrogen to the mix to help it along if you have any water soluble stuff around like AMS or Urea. If you can get 2 to 3 applications down before putting pin the new grass you should have pretty good success.
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.” -Thomas Sowell

cglarsen
Lawn Size: 35k sf
Mower: JD 2653a, Bradley 48 Stander

Post by cglarsen »

I have yet to see a member on this forum successfully remove established common bermuda and replace with hybrid.

Spammage
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000 + 4000 non-irri
Mower: McLane 25" Greenskeeper

Post by Spammage »

cglarsen wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:34 pm
I have yet to see a member on this forum successfully remove established common bermuda and replace with hybrid.
It's been done. I just don't remember which member did it...

And if Celebration counts, then everyone could. That grass is an amazingly fast spreader.

cglarsen
Lawn Size: 35k sf
Mower: JD 2653a, Bradley 48 Stander

Post by cglarsen »

Spammage wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:04 am
cglarsen wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:34 pm
It's been done. I just don't remember which member did it...

And if Celebration counts, then everyone could. That grass is an amazingly fast spreader.
With long-term success, i.e. no breakthrough? I don't think anyone has tracked it long term. I'd be very interested if you could show me who has done it.