Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
ThickLawnThickWife
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 14000
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Mushrooms in Bermuda Lawn?

Post by ThickLawnThickWife » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:30 pm

Hello everyone

I mowed the lawn today and after making a pass next to one of the trees in my lawn I saw a few mushrooms growing. I have never seen them before and I am wondering 1) What causes them to grown. 2) Is this going to turn into a big problem 3). How do I get rid of them? I started to pull them but I thought that might spread them. I know mushrooms are a type of fungus so will fungicide kill them? I have applied Scotts Disease Ex (Preventative Rate) and Bioadvance propiconazole (Curative Rate) about 3 weeks. Thanks in advance for any information.

Last edited by ThickLawnThickWife on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gpbrown60
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 10K
Mower: Baroness, TruCut, Eliet Scarif

Re: Mushrooms in Bermuda Lawn?

Post by gpbrown60 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:48 pm

ThickLawnThickWife wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:30 pm
Hello everyone

I mowed the lawn today and after making a pass next to one of the trees in my lawn I saw a few mushrooms growing. I have never seen them before and I am wondering 1) What causes them to grown. 2) Is this going to turn into a big problem 3). How do I get rid of them? I started to pull them but I thought that might spread them. I know mushrooms are a type of fungus so will fungicide kill them? I have applied Scotts Disease Ex (Preventative Rate) and Bioadvance propiconazole (Curative Rate) about 3 weeks. Thanks in advance for any information.

I have them as well and this is not the first year. All I do is pull them up and they don't seem to come back or multiply.

ThickLawnThickWife

Post by ThickLawnThickWife » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:13 pm

gpbrown60 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:48 pm
ThickLawnThickWife wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:30 pm
Hello everyone

I have them as well and this is not the first year. All I do is pull them up and they don't seem to come back or multiply.
Thanks for the reply. Do you think applying a second dose of fungicide will kill them and then pull them?

J_nick
Grass Type: Riviera Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: 220B

Post by J_nick » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:24 pm

Mushrooms are normally signs of the good fungi at work. Get a 7 iron out and take some practice swings.

ThickLawnThickWife

Post by ThickLawnThickWife » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:40 pm

J_nick wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:24 pm
Mushrooms are normally signs of the good fungi at work. Get a 7 iron out and take some practice swings.
Thanks. I may have to borrow one of my neighbors golf clubs.

reidgarner
Grass Type: 419 (front) / Zeon (back)
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: Flex 21 & 260SL

Post by reidgarner » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:23 am

Rumor has it that if you leave mushrooms on your lawn Joe Rogan will appear and talk to you about the Keto diet and DMT.

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 8,000 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56(x2)

Post by Mightyquinn » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:46 am

I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and say that they can lead to other funguses in the lawn. I am not a fan of them and they are an unsightly annoyance to say the least. I have started to hand aerate the areas they show up in and fill the holes with sand. They usually show up because you have a build up of organic matter in that area and something is decaying. I have also noticed that they tend to grow more in areas where my dog has peed also.

RDZed
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Pat Bermuda/Mey Zoy/TTTF
Lawn Size: 12,500sf
Mower: 46" Husq rotary and beer

Post by RDZed » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:27 am

reidgarner wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:23 am
Rumor has it that if you leave mushrooms on your lawn Joe Rogan will appear and talk to you about the Keto diet and DMT.
:lol:

I just pluck them out. No biggie.

Tmank87
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: 8K
Mower: Trucut P20 & Baroness LM66

Post by Tmank87 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:00 am

Mightyquinn wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:46 am
I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and say that they can lead to other funguses in the lawn. I am not a fan of them and they are an unsightly annoyance to say the least. I have started to hand aerate the areas they show up in and fill the holes with sand. They usually show up because you have a build up of organic matter in that area and something is decaying. I have also noticed that they tend to grow more in areas where my dog has peed also.
Would you recommend the hand aerator you use?

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 8,000 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56(x2)

Post by Mightyquinn » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:15 am

Tmank87 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:00 am
Mightyquinn wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:46 am
Would you recommend the hand aerator you use?
I use this Hand Aerator and it works pretty good but I wish I had gotten one with 4 prongs instead of 2 but all the ones with 4 didn't have good reviews.

Tmank87
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: 8K
Mower: Trucut P20 & Baroness LM66

Post by Tmank87 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:18 am

Thanks. I have lots of shrooms in my back yard from old cut down trees. I like the aerate and sand technique