Be honest, will this fill in this season? (Warning, weed farm photos)

Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
ktgrok
Grass Type: bermuda - maya
Lawn Size: 3,000
Mower: earthwise 7 blade manual reel

Be honest, will this fill in this season? (Warning, weed farm photos)

Post by ktgrok »

Not that kind of weed. That I know of anyway.
But seriously, The part of my yard adjacent to my neighbor's weed factory has been under enormous weed pressure. A lot of it is now dead/dying, and the new crop popping up should be on it's way out after a hit with Celsius and Dismiss this weekend. But it seems in at least a few areas soon as they die the dead spot gets taken over by more weeds. So I guess my questions are
1. When can I start taking plugs from better areas to help fill in the bare spots?
2. Is there any hope in this battle against the weeds, given what I'm up against? I have photos below of the neighbor's bit of yard, where it meets my property.
3. Can I get this to fill in this year? I'm in Central Florida, so it will be warm a while still, and our rainy season has started, so lots of water and lots of heat. Due to tree roots I struggle to mow lower than 1.25", but I'm mowing it about every 2-3 days at that height. (other than now...needs a mow but left it long to spray weeds)

Obviously pre emergent will be my friend, but I figure I can't use it until I get the bermuda to fill in. Otherwise, I'll just have bare patches forever. So it's a matter of trying to get to that point. The rest of the yard looks pretty good, considering it is less than 2 months old and was seeded. But man....that half...it's ugly.

Swale, looks pretty good. Brown patch at bottom right is from dog pee. I have some issues around the mailbox and may need to just put a flower bed there, but the common bermuda may just take over there. Honestly, the common bermuda is alway what is filling in the bare spots in some places where the weeds were. I didn't want that, but at this point I'm figuring it is better than weeds! As you can see by my neighbors "lawn" a mixed bermuda lawn would still dominate in comparison.

view of whole yard, you can see how the big bare/dead weed patches are covering large area of right half.

washed out area that is starting to fill in, and more dead weeds

dead weeds, looking toward's neighbor's house. You can kind of see the property line division.

It's really bad in this part of the yard.

bare patches, and the good grass

Next three are of the neighbors yard, where it butts against mine. You can see what I'm up against here.

Last edited by ktgrok on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FlaDave
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4400 sq/ft
Mower: Jacobsen pgm 22

Re: Be honest, will this fill in this season? (Warning, weed farm photos)

Post by FlaDave »

It is possible to have it filled in this year. One thing you have on your side being this far south is that we don't actually go dormant. But growth comes to a halt once it starts cooling off. I think that was around late october last year. I'd guess that without any more major setbacks you should be filled in if not really close before then.

You should be fine to pull plugs now if the Bermuda is sending out runners. I wouldn't worry much about killing all the weeds right now without a pre-em. They will grow back as fast as you can kill them. Once you can get the pre-em down one good blanket app of Celsius/sedgehammer combo should take care of most of your weed pressure for a while.

Topic Author
ktgrok

Post by ktgrok »

Thanks. The issue with the weeds is that they crowd out the grass, shading it out. It's mostly Florida Pusley and it just makes that dense mat that the bermuda can't penetrate into. So killing it gives the bermuda some room to spread.

Topic Author
ktgrok

Post by ktgrok »

The Maya still doesn't have much in the way of runners, not sure why, or it that is normal. On the other hand, the common bermuda is sending them out like crazy. Part of me wonders if I should just embrace the common and put some sprigs of that in the bare areas/dead spots. I have no doubt it would spread fast and fill in.
Another option is to rake out those dead spots and put seed and peat moss down. I Still have both. Just not sure if they would grow, given all the herbicides I just put down...of course the herbicide could be why the bermuda isn't spreading too. Hard to balance all this!

FlaDave
Lawn Size: 4400 sq/ft
Mower: Jacobsen pgm 22

Post by FlaDave »

Looking back through my pics from last year and thought this might be helpful.

May 2018
Before pre-em and celsius

Aug 2018
Sometime after pre-em and celsius

Oct 2018
Right about when things started slowing down for the season.

Topic Author
ktgrok

Post by ktgrok »

oh wow the change in two months is huge! Any secrets?
Last edited by ktgrok on Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawnRat
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 12,000 Sqft
Mower: Cub Cadet Rider

Post by LawnRat »

Mine couldn't tack down and spread until the spring pre-m app wore off, then it started spreading very fast. Later apps of MSM and Dismiss didn't seem to slow the growth, but the grass hasn't grown at all since I sprayed a very light app of Celsius/Certainty 10 days ago. Parts I didn't spray have been mowed 3 times since. So yes, some herbicides can really affect the growth rate.

flynavy812
Lawn Size: 5000
Mower: Honda

Post by flynavy812 »

I just updated my thread, check this photo out. This is two months, my backyard was equally as impressive. I give the most weight to mowing often, watering, and using my garden multi tool till thing that I use to rough up bare spots. Fertilizer has been fun to experiment with too... just kept pushing that growth.

Topic Author
ktgrok

Post by ktgrok »

Nice!

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin »

@flynavy812

That's a domination line reversal!

flynavy812
Lawn Size: 5000
Mower: Honda

Post by flynavy812 »

@Redtwin Thanks, I sure am trying.

Topic Author
ktgrok

Post by ktgrok »

Put down some more nitrogen tonight....not quite sure how much as I got distracted while measuring. Oops. Life happens. Thinking around 0.3lbs per thousand...give or take, lol. No less than 0.25, no more than 0.5...I think. We'll see what happens, lol.

I will say the common bermuda that grows wild is super happy and spreading all over. It's a darker green than the Maya, so my lawn is NOT an even color, and it gets even darker with any iron. But, if I can get it all green, even different shades, I think I will call that a success for the season. I'm even tempted to take sprigs/stolons from the common and stick it in the bare patches but can't QUITE bring myself to do it yet. Part of me thinks it was a waste to buy seed at all, should have just let the common grow and done nothing else. That stuff is prolific! It also is growing low/spreading, more than up. When I mowed today I was cutting the Maya but not the common bermuda..it hadn't grown much at all, was just spreading out.
Last edited by ktgrok on Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.