Celsius/Certainty not working?

Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Alex_18
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 8,000 sqft
Mower: Honda HRR216VYA

Celsius/Certainty not working?

Post by Alex_18 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:13 am

Sprayed a mixture of 1.6g Celsius and 0.8g Certainty/1000 on Friday Aug 9 in the afternoon. Irrigation ran at 6am the following morning. Also put down .5lb of nitrogen/1000 the day after I sprayed. This is in 6000sqft of newly renovated Arden 15 bermuda. Im not seeing any signs of the herbicides working. This is not my first time spraying this mixture and i feel like I’ve always had faster results. At least with the broadleaves. Did i water too soon or should i just be patient?

FlaDave
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4400 sq/ft
Mower: Jacobsen pgm 22

Re: Celsius/Certainty not working?

Post by FlaDave » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:28 am

It usually takes about 2 weeks to see results with celsius. I have no experience with certainty. Overnight is plenty time for it to absorb so you're good there. Just be patient.

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Raleigh St Augustine/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20,630
Mower: Bradley Stander 48

Post by CenlaLowell » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:41 am

For Celsius patient is everything. I've never seen it work faster than 14-21 days
Killing two birds with one stone is the name of the game. :bandit:

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Cenlalowell Bermuda kill off trial

TinyLawn
Grass Type: St Augustine front, Bermuda BY
Lawn Size: 2500
Mower: Fiskars reel, Ryobi 40v

Post by TinyLawn » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:59 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12416

Here is a post with pics from another member that sprayed Celsius one day before you, he is just now starting to see yellowing it's very subtle, so depending on temps(hotter the better/faster) you should be starting seeing results today or tomorrow thru the next 3 weeks. So be patient.

LawnRat
Lawn Size: 12,000 Sqft
Mower: Cub Cadet Rider

Post by LawnRat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:07 am

I sprayed them 18 days ago and still don't see much yellowing of anything but sedges. The grass hasn't grown at all since either.

TalonII
Lawn Size: 15,000 Sqft
Mower: 21" Husqvarna Self-Propelled

Post by TalonII » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:17 am

Alex_18 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:13 am
Sprayed a mixture of 1.6g Celsius and 0.8g Certainty/1000 on Friday Aug 9 in the afternoon. Irrigation ran at 6am the following morning. Also put down .5lb of nitrogen/1000 the day after I sprayed. This is in 6000sqft of newly renovated Arden 15 bermuda. Im not seeing any signs of the herbicides working. This is not my first time spraying this mixture and i feel like I’ve always had faster results. At least with the broadleaves. Did i water too soon or should i just be patient?
I sprayed the backyard Wednesday and the front yard Saturday (Celsius). I was a little worried because when I sprayed the back, it was pretty late and I wasn't sure if it really dried because its so damn hot and humid in S. La. We get a very heavy dew overnight and into the morning. I woke up this morning and for the first time could see some faint results.

Alex_18

Post by Alex_18 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:37 am

TalonII wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:17 am
Alex_18 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:13 am
I sprayed the backyard Wednesday and the front yard Saturday (Celsius). I was a little worried because when I sprayed the back, it was pretty late and I wasn't sure if it really dried because its so damn hot and humid in S. La. We get a very heavy dew overnight and into the morning. I woke up this morning and for the first time could see some faint results.
Good to know. Im in Lafayette so i know exactly what you’re talking about with the weather. Its been plenty hot enough for them to be working. I’ll just sit back and relax. Waiting in results

Jordan90
Lawn Size: 7800
Mower: Toro Flex Greensmaster 2100

Post by Jordan90 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:42 am

Did you water or it rain within 24-48 hours of application?

Alex_18

Post by Alex_18 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:09 pm

Jordan90 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:42 am
I sprayed at 4:00pm on Friday and irrigation ran at 6:00am Saturday

Jordan90
Lawn Size: 7800
Mower: Toro Flex Greensmaster 2100

Post by Jordan90 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 pm

Alex_18 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:09 pm
Jordan90 wrote:
Generally they don’t want water or rain in 24/48 hrs

Alex_18

Post by Alex_18 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:40 pm

Jordan90 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 pm
Alex_18 wrote:
Jordan90 wrote:
Generally they don’t want water or rain in 24/48 hrs
I didnt see anything about that on either label. Only thing i saw was not to spray while grass is wet and after you spray dont water until the spray has dried

TalonII
Lawn Size: 15,000 Sqft
Mower: 21" Husqvarna Self-Propelled

Post by TalonII » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:45 pm

What’s the deal with not cutting 2 days prior to application? Just want more surface area of weeds for the Celsius to grab on to?

TN Hawkeye
Grass Type: Fescmuda
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Post by TN Hawkeye » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:45 am

TalonII wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:45 pm
What’s the deal with not cutting 2 days prior to application? Just want more surface area of weeds for the Celsius to grab on to?
Yes but it really depends on what HOC you are at. If you are reel mowing then there isn’t a whole lot of weed surface for the spray to sit on. But if you are rotary cutting there should be plenty of surface. I’m at 2.75” and most of the weeds I sprayed for stayed below the cut.
I may not have the best lawn and I may not have a clue what I’m doing but that’s pretty much all I have to say.

TN Hawkeye

Post by TN Hawkeye » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:48 am

Alex_18 wrote:
Jordan90 wrote:
You should be fine. I’ve had a pop up storm hit 7 hours after spraying and I got yellow Bermuda and good kill on the weeds.
I may not have the best lawn and I may not have a clue what I’m doing but that’s pretty much all I have to say.

TN Hawkeye

Post by TN Hawkeye » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:54 am

Also here is a good example of the patience it takes with Celsius. I sprayed last Monday August 5th. I mowed Sunday the 11th and the yard was green with very little yellow. This is today the 14th.

Notice the line where I didnt spray other than a small spot. The lawn looked that that Sunday. Here is the rest of it today.

hsvtoolfool
Grass Type: Tifton 419
Lawn Size: 14K
Mower: Swardman Electra 55 + Ego

Post by hsvtoolfool » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:02 am

After blanket spraying Celsius+Certainty at the "medium" rate, I didn't notice any change. None. My grass didn't even yellow or fade. It was my first spray ever, so I wondered if I forgot to add the medicine. I knew C+C was slow, I knew I had to be patient....and I eventually forgot about it. Then three weeks later, I noticed all the nutsedge was dead or dying and the viginia buttonweed was simply gone (with few exceptions for nutsedge).

I've done my follow-up spot spray since then....and everywhere I didn't spot-spray I now have more nutsedge, viginia buttonweed, and spurge. It's not too bad, but I'm now planning a second blanket spray. Obviously, pre-emergent has no affect on nutsedge, buttonweed, or spurge, so I'm wondering how in the heck some folks here get perfect weed-free lawns. Do you regularly blanket spray Celcius+Certainty?

Alex_18

Post by Alex_18 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:24 pm

Just got home and noticed a little yellowing on the broadleaves which is mostly my problem right now. How long do i have to wait to spray dismiss for my goose grass?
Last edited by Alex_18 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TNTurf
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: 15k
Mower: Toro Flex 21, Honda

Post by TNTurf » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:50 pm

hsvtoolfool wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:02 am
After blanket spraying Celsius+Certainty at the "medium" rate, I didn't notice any change. None. My grass didn't even yellow or fade. It was my first spray ever, so I wondered if I forgot to add the medicine. I knew C+C was slow, I knew I had to be patient....and I eventually forgot about it. Then three weeks later, I noticed all the nutsedge was dead or dying and the viginia buttonweed was simply gone (with few exceptions for nutsedge).

I've done my follow-up spot spray since then....and everywhere I didn't spot-spray I now have more nutsedge, viginia buttonweed, and spurge. It's not too bad, but I'm now planning a second blanket spray. Obviously, pre-emergent has no affect on nutsedge, buttonweed, or spurge, so I'm wondering how in the heck some folks here get perfect weed-free lawns. Do you regularly blanket spray Celcius+Certainty?
I spot spray about every other week with C+C. I still have sedge and spurge pop up. Everything else is pretty easy to kill so far. I have had to start using marker dye so I know I have already hit the spot because some of it will linger. Prior I was used to Glyphosphate which was fast.

TN Hawkeye

Post by TN Hawkeye » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:58 pm

hsvtoolfool wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:02 am

This is the first time I have blanket sprayed Celsius in a year, both at medium rate. I couldn’t put down a good pre emergent in the spring so I knew I would have some issues. I would wonder how accurate your application was if you saw no yellowing. Granted I have common bermuda but I think all Bermuda’s should get dinged a little by Celsius at least. I have never sprayed certainty but the pictures show what Celsius does to my lawn.

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:17 am

I'm in the same boat as @TN Hawkeye. I did not get around to my second split app of pre-m. I also have not used Certainty. I usually don't see much yellowing on my 419 with Celcius, but this latest app targeting spurge at the high rate did yellow it a bit. Even in the heat, it took a while to start seeing the leaves curl and yellow on the spurge.