Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
treb003
Grass Type: Celebration and tiftuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2500sqft
Mower: 2001 California trimmer 25"

Ramping up Bermuda lawn plan

Post by treb003 »

5 years ago I had Celebration Bermuda sod laid on my 3300sqft lawn (3 yards - front, side, back). I bought a used 25" old California trimmer and installed a sprinkler system. Didn't go much past that but had a solid stand.
Job moved me to DC for 3 years to which my irrigation never ran, HOC was >= 2", and weeds snuck in all over.
I moved back to SC on 1 July and have begun laying water, pre-m, and genetic southern feed. I added 1 bag of Soil3 to the front lawn (1800sqft) and leveled with 36" rake. I've been spot spraying yellow nutsedge, splurge, dallisweed/crabgrass, and a few others. I've rejuvenated my reel mower (new reel, new gas tank, new carb, front roller). And, now, I'm ready to get into a steady routine.

Goal HOC around. 75"

I'd like to do my maintenance spray once every 21 days. Thanks to @smurg, I now have PGR. Here is my intention. Please advise:
1 tank
PGR = 11oz per 1k = 36oz
FS = 4oz per 1k = 13.2oz
AS = 3.4oz per 1k = 11.2oz
H2O = 1gal per 1k = 3.3gal

1 tank
N = 0.5lb per 1k
H2O = 1gal perk 1k = 3.3gal
*using same rate so that I get my application rates all the same so pace and pattern become muscle memory.

Does that above seem okay? And what N should I spray?

My back and side yards are in worse shape and I even have a mixed batch in the side yard (500sqft tiftuf / 500sqft celebration). I will allow them to battle it out to see who wins in the end (or I just will have a funny mix of bermuda). Side yard and back yard both need to be leveled / top dressed. Will do in a few weeks.

ktgrok
Grass Type: bermuda - maya
Lawn Size: 3,000
Mower: earthwise 7 blade manual reel

Re: Ramping up Bermuda lawn plan

Post by ktgrok »

I think that is way too much AS for way too little water. When spraying AS people do smaller amounts, to avoid leaf burn. And with more water. I think 0.2lbs N in 2 gallons may be the minimum - someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm doing 0.1 lbs N in 2 gallons.

Topic Author
treb003

Post by treb003 »

@ktgrok gotcha. For AS, is it the right amount just not diluted enough or bad ratio per 1k and per h20?
Glad I asked!
As for N, if I followed your method, I'd put out 10 gallons of water?

Still learnin
Grass Type: Fescue/Bermuda/Weeds
Lawn Size: 76,000 sq/ft
Mower: Dixie Chopper

Post by Still learnin »

I’m spraying 0.5 lbs/M in 2 gallons of water. Watering in the next morning. No I’ll effects.

FlaDave
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4400 sq/ft
Mower: Jacobsen pgm 22

Post by FlaDave »

On the pgr, either I'm reading it wrong or there's a typo but you have 11 oz per k. For t-nex you want to start low especially with celebration Bermuda. .15-.25oz per k is where I would start. Some members have said thier celebration does not handle rates higher than that.

ktgrok

Post by ktgrok »

treb003 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:14 pm
@ktgrok gotcha. For AS, is it the right amount just not diluted enough or bad ratio per 1k and per h20?
Glad I asked!
As for N, if I followed your method, I'd put out 10 gallons of water?
I'll let someone more experienced than me answer that. I can say that if you are doing it as a foliar spray, and not rinsing off right away, a little goes a long way. I get more response (by FAR!) from 0.1 lbs of N with AS in a foliar spray (don't wash off until the morning irrigation) than I do with 0.25lbs of any other source of nitrogen. Start low, is my recommendation. It is more likely to burn than other forms of iron.

And 11 oz sounds really high for PGR, but maybe you are doing another chemical than the usual T-Nex product?

Topic Author
treb003

Post by treb003 »

So I was definitely reading the floz per ACRE instead of 1000sqft so I'm glad yall pointed that out!
@ktgrok you said you get more response with As for N, are you just using AS or adding another N source to the foliar spray?

Thanks for the help so far! My plan is to calibrate my sprayer with a test runs Monday and Tuesday. I plan on spraying Wednesday night. Cutting Thursday night, then I will be out of town for 7 days so really hoping PGR does its job!

ktgrok

Post by ktgrok »

I just use AS in the spray. I am doing 0.1lb about every week. The grass loves it. I'm also now adding in some potash sometimes as I'm low on potassium, but as far as nitrogen in the spray that is it.

Before that I was using a liquid fertilizer called Gordon's Lawn and Pasture, at 0.25lbs per week and the 0.1lbs AS has a much bigger effect.

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin »

I sprayed AS at .5N/1000sf and it burned the tips a little but it all got cut off on the next mow. My next app was at .25/1000sf.
I’m going to try urea next to see how the grass responds. I’m still going to spray around .25N.