Lawn Care Forum banner

Pre/Post emergent around trees?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Redtwin 
#1 ·
I'm totally new to this and this seems like the place to ask. Sorry if this is a stuoid question but.... I have a lot weeds around 2 mature oak trees in my front lawn and weeds around 2 younger trees in my back yard( I know, lots of weeds). Is there a safe pre and post emergent to use around these? Or will is pulling the weeds the only way?

#3 ·
I believe as long as you follow the label rates the trees should be fine (2,4-D, Celcius, Certainty, Dismiss, Image). I would avoid spraying right up to trunk or on the truck, but the area around the tree (drip zone) should be fine. Just don't use MSMA anywhere near a tree. Even at label rates it can damage them. Any mistakes on overlap and they are all dead.

The only reason I don't know this from experience is because trees are a hot commodity here after Hurricane Michael so I refuse to use MSMA even though it would be VERY helpful with some of my weed issues. I just don't think I have my method of spraying down to the accuracy needed to spray the heavy hitting stuff.

#5 ·
Redtwin said:
I believe as long as you follow the label rates the trees should be fine (2,4-D, Celcius, Certainty, Dismiss, Image). I would avoid spraying right up to trunk or on the truck, but the area around the tree (drip zone) should be fine. Just don't use MSMA anywhere near a tree. Even at label rates it can damage them. Any mistakes on overlap and they are all dead.

The only reason I don't know this from experience is because trees are a hot commodity here after Hurricane Michael so I refuse to use MSMA even though it would be VERY helpful with some of my weed issues. I just don't think I have my method of spraying down to the accuracy needed to spray the heavy hitting stuff.
I thought MSMA was foliar only and wasn't root absorbed. I wouldn't expect it to cause any damage to trees, or are you taking MSM (manor)?

#6 ·
Movingshrub said:
Redtwin said:

I thought MSMA was foliar only and wasn't root absorbed. I wouldn't expect it to cause any damage to trees, or are you taking MSM (manor)?
My bad... MSM. That shows my ignorance of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.