Lawn Size: 20,630
Mower: Badboy ZT Elite 48

Re: Leveling a Bermuda Lawn

Post by CenlaLowell »

Kicker wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:29 am
CenlaLowell wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:21 am
The drag mat I've used last year left a lot to be desired. Basically the mat floats with the lawn so it can't possibly level bad spot correctly. This is the one I have now

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014SY8B5E/re ... HEb4K68SKJ

My thinking is if I got something like @wardconnor had it my be better. I'm also wondering if it would be okay to drag something like over st Augustine?

I would get it built to 3x3 or 5x5

Chime in.....
I've heard of people that have the drag mat you got on amazon of modifying it so that it stays more rigid.

The solid metal bar where the rope attaches was moved 90 degress to one side or the other and afixed back to the drag mat. Doing that makes it so that the links don't articulate up/down in the direction you'll be pulling it. I think i saw a thread on here or maybe just a post in this thread about doing that.
Do you have a picture or something because I'm lost about this mod??
Killing two birds with one stone is the name of the game. :bandit:

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Cenlalowell Bermuda kill off trial

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Raleigh St Augustine/Bermuda

Post by CenlaLowell »

Redtwin wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:26 am
Kicker wrote:
CenlaLowell wrote:
The drag mat I've used last year left a lot to be desired. Basically the mat floats with the lawn so it can't possibly level bad spot correctly. This is the one I have now

My thinking is if I got something like @wardconnor had it my be better. I'm also wondering if it would be okay to drag something like over st Augustine?

Chime in.....
I've heard of people that have the drag mat you got on amazon of modifying it so that it stays more rigid.

The solid metal bar where the rope attaches was moved 90 degress to one side or the other and afixed back to the drag mat. Doing that makes it so that the links don't articulate up/down in the direction you'll be pulling it. I think i saw a thread on here or maybe just a post in this thread about doing that.
I had the same problem with that exact drag mat. It worked great at getting the sand down into the turf but did very little as far as leveling.
I'm scared of the st Augustine getting torn up using Connor idea. What do you think???

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Kicker
Grass Type: bermuda
Lawn Size: 4500 sqft
Mower: Toro rotary / GM 1000

Post by Kicker »

CenlaLowell wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:04 pm
Kicker wrote:
CenlaLowell wrote:

Chime in.....

@Ware can you help me out here. I seem to remember you had a mspaint description/drawing of this exact mod.

@CenlaLowell essentially, you're removing the solid bar from the front of the drag mat. Re-attaching it to one of the sides.

see the image for a crappy description.

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware »

Yep, that's it @Kicker The mat is more rigid on that axis (it doesn't roll up), so I think it would be less likely to flex down into dips and scrape the sand out - if that makes sense. I haven't done it myself though. I have folded the back of the mat up to the front a couple times to give it more downforce per square inch, and it also seemed to flex less.

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter

Post by CenlaLowell »

Kicker wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:18 pm
CenlaLowell wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:04 pm
Kicker wrote:

@Ware can you help me out here. I seem to remember you had a mspaint description/drawing of this exact mod.

@CenlaLowell essentially, you're removing the solid bar from the front of the drag mat. Re-attaching it to one of the sides.

see the image for a crappy description.

Thanks, another question

What difference does that make moving it from one side to another??? It doesn't look hard to move at all I'm just curious.

Next question if I was to put pvc pipe filled with sand underneath tied with zip ties would this be ideal

Like this

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter

Post by CenlaLowell »

Ware wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:39 pm
Yep, that's it @Kicker The mat is more rigid on that axis (it doesn't roll up), so I think it would be less likely to flex down into dips and scrape the sand out - if that makes sense. I haven't done it myself though. I have folded the back of the mat up to the front a couple times to give it more downforce per square inch, and it also seemed to flex less.
I will try that this leveling season. I also found a welder in my area that will build a smaller version of connorward mat, but I haven't got a price on it yet. I'm trying to use this thing if I can without spending more money on another.

Thanks @Ware and @Kicker

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter

Post by CenlaLowell »

Here's other idea I forgot about. He turned his 90 degrees as well

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=276

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Kicker

Post by Kicker »

the reason moving it would work a little better is becuase all the links articulate only the original direction they're mounted.

think of a bicycle chain. If you hold the bicycle chain in the orientation of it being mounted on a bicycle you can move it up and down as freely as you want because the links articulate in that direction. If you turn it 90 degrees to where it's laying flat it'll move like a sidewinder snake, but stays more rigid/level in reference to being parallel with the ground.

moving the bar 90 degrees to the side of the mat just means the mat stays more flat when it transverses over a low spot or a dip instead of following the contour of the ground.

Kicker

Post by Kicker »

CenlaLowell wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:32 pm
Here's other idea I forgot about. He turned his 90 degrees as well

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=276
that's the original post I was talking about and where i remembered this mod.

DuncanMcDonuts
Grass Type: Tifway 419/TifTuf
Lawn Size: 3500
Mower: Baroness LM56

Post by DuncanMcDonuts »

@CenlaLowell I just modded my mat, same one as yours, by loosening the nuts from the 4 bolts and moving the mat 90' from the handle side. It is much more rigid now with barely any flex. I think it'll work much better to level this way.

thegrassisgreener
Lawn Size: 3,000 sq ft
Mower: John Deere 220c Greens Mower

Post by thegrassisgreener »

Made a video of my lawn leveling project this week.

Buster
Lawn Size: 1.5 Acres
Mower: Ariens Zero Turn 52” XD

Post by Buster »

Has anyone done a ‘small scale’ level? What I mean is simply targeting old ruts or irrigation settling. Not the whole lawn.

We just moved in and I’ve got a massive lawn. It’s pretty level, except for some isolated ruts and depressions where irrigation went in years ago. I’m thinking of just filling those ruts with 50/50 mix and then assessing.
Last edited by Buster on Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Buster

MrMeaner
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda
Lawn Size: 33K Sq Ft
Mower: Toro 3100d

Post by MrMeaner »

thegrassisgreener wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:31 am
Made a video of my lawn leveling project this week.
Very nice!! I wish only had 3000 Sq Ft to do...mines closer to 30K...a lot of work for my old @ss!! :lol:
One mans weed is another mans highly prized turf

cutigers08
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 6500 sq ft
Mower: McLane 20" 7 blade Reel

Post by cutigers08 »

Going after my yard this coming weekend. my neighbor borrowed the drag mat from the local rec department and it's a beast. 6' wide and pretty heavy but should make pretty quick work of things.

Last edited by cutigers08 on Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Two9tene
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: 4,516 sq ft
Mower: GreensMaster 1000 (Mdl. 04052)

Post by Two9tene »

cutigers08 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:20 pm
Going after my yard this ci.ing weekend. my neighbor borrowed the drag mat from the local rec department and it's a beast. 6' wide and pretty heavy but should make pretty quick work of things.

Nice wish I had one of those! Well I will one day! Lol just gotta sneak it past the wife and the wallet somehow!
"One of the great challenges in life, is knowing enough to think you’re right, but not enough to know you’re wrong" - Neil Degrasse Tyson :roll:
2018-2019 Journal

cutigers08
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 6500 sq ft
Mower: McLane 20" 7 blade Reel

Post by cutigers08 »

Two9tene wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:30 pm
cutigers08 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:20 pm
Going after my yard this ci.ing weekend. my neighbor borrowed the drag mat from the local rec department and it's a beast. 6' wide and pretty heavy but should make pretty quick work of things.

Nice wish I had one of those! Well I will one day! Lol just gotta sneak it past the wife and the wallet somehow!
My neighbor dropped it off while I was snoozing on the couch. I was abruptly awaken when the wife saw it and demanded to know what it was and why it was in the driveway. LOL. She will be glad it showed up once we get underway!

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter

Post by CenlaLowell »

Okay @Ware @Kicker I appreciate that mod for sure. When I moved the frame it definitely got stiff. So stiff that it can stand up

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin »

CenlaLowell wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:31 pm
Okay @Ware @Kicker I appreciate that mod for sure. When I moved the frame it definitely got stiff. So stiff that it can stand up
Oh man! I’m definitely going to do that to my drag mat. Let me know how it does once you throw the sand down.

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter

Post by CenlaLowell »

Redtwin wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:45 pm
CenlaLowell wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:31 pm
Oh man! I’m definitely going to do that to my drag mat. Let me know how it does once you throw the sand down.
Will do. I'm sanding this month I believe, but this time I'm looking for Mason sand instead of river sand like I been getting.

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Phazed
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: JD Zero track

Post by Phazed »

I spent a couple hours going through all the posts on this thread - some of you guys have amazing lawns. Mine, not so much. So I'll describe what I've got and look for some advice.
The lawn is a little over 30,000 sqft, originally Bermuda grass. For (at least) 3 years before we bought it, pretty much nothing was done to it other than running the (lake fed) sprinkler system and having the neighbor cut it every few weeks. It's now over 50% weeds (lots of crabgrass, clover and other stuff) and extremely uneven (with some deep holes in places). I've managed to cut it as low as 3" in most places and 2.5" is the absolute lowest I can go on the flattest sections without severe scalping so I need to level the lawn.
My mower is a 42" John Deer Z225 (see first pic). I added a mulching cover and Oregon mulching blades this year so that I don't pick up the clippings anymore.
I did put down some Bayer Season-Long Weed Control early in the season and have been hand spraying with 2,4-D to go after some of the weeds but I don't think I'm winning the battle. Also I put down a few bags of Milorganite (all I could get early in the season) in one area and that definitely helped both the grass (and the weeds) grow.
I figured to pick up a Fimco ATV-20-2-QR sprayer and mount it on my lawn cart (shown in first pic) to help me put down more 2,4D and Talstar (for the fire ants).
Not sure what size drag mat that lawn mower could easily pull (thinking the 4.5 x 5' one) but I'd get one of those and a Gorilla Cart to help move sand around as well.
Located on Lake Greenwood in South Carolina and have not located a good source for Masonry sand (yet). I'm also unclear on how much I should order initially so that I don't get totally overwhelmed.

Edit: updated with some pics of the lawn.

Suggestions on where/how I should start would be welcome. I realize that this is likely a multi-year project.

Pic of the grass showing crabgrass and some of the unevenness

Holes like this scattered around the lawn

Example of moderate weed takeover

Last edited by Phazed on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.