TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4,516 sq ft
Mower: GreensMaster 1000 (Mdl. 04052)

Re: Leveling a Bermuda Lawn

Post by Two9tene »

ctrav wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:43 am
Two years ago I moved nearly 12 yards in a day, by myself with a shovel and cheap ol wheel barrel!
No way...I just can’t believe it...are you sure it was 12 yards...
Now if you want to swing by I can videotape and we can show the lawn care world 🤓
[/quote]
Two9tene wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:53 pm
So just to catch up on the journal: Monday morning I woke up early and did some prep for the Great Big Level of 18, hence forth called GBL18, just marked off some low spots I wanted to focus on:

Shortly after the sand/soil mix arrived!

And.... I went straight into the back breaking work!

After I got all the piles out on both lawns I started to knock them down and realized quickly that I had bit off more than I can chew!

It was so much work that my absolutely beautiful wife even came out to assist me with the project, mind you this is at about 9pm just around sunset here in Good o’le Oklahoma!

This next picture is when I realized that I had place WAY to many piles on the main lawn and other areas as well! We knocked down the piles from the south end up to the north end and wound up pushing the excess onto the street. I pretty much ran out of light after that and worked through the night till almost 11pm pushing the excess off. Once I pushed all the excess off I had to call it a night!

More to follow on the subsequent days... stay tuned out there if your “watching” aka reading! Lol
Here you go bud! Lmao🤣😂🤙🏼
"One of the great challenges in life, is knowing enough to think you’re right, but not enough to know you’re wrong" - Neil Degrasse Tyson :roll:
2018-2019 Journal

ctrav
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 30K
Mower: Toro GM, Commercial, Recycler

Post by ctrav »

Two9tene wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:16 pm
ctrav wrote:
Two years ago I moved nearly 12 yards in a day, by myself with a shovel and cheap ol wheel barrel!
Now if you want to swing by I can videotape and we can show the lawn care world 🤓
Two9tene wrote:
So just to catch up on the journal: Monday morning I woke up early and did some prep for the Great Big Level of 18, hence forth called GBL18, just marked off some low spots I wanted to focus on:

After I got all the piles out on both lawns I started to knock them down and realized quickly that I had bit off more than I can chew!

It was so much work that my absolutely beautiful wife even came out to assist me with the project, mind you this is at about 9pm just around sunset here in Good o’le Oklahoma!

This next picture is when I realized that I had place WAY to many piles on the main lawn and other areas as well! We knocked down the piles from the south end up to the north end and wound up pushing the excess onto the street. I pretty much ran out of light after that and worked through the night till almost 11pm pushing the excess off. Once I pushed all the excess off I had to call it a night!

More to follow on the subsequent days... stay tuned out there if your “watching” aka reading! Lol
[/quote]

I spoke in jest as I never doubted you for a moment...now swing on over 🤣🤣
MY JOURNAL

Much of your pain is self chosen!

Two9tene
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: 4,516 sq ft
Mower: GreensMaster 1000 (Mdl. 04052)

Post by Two9tene »

ctrav wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:19 pm
Two9tene wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:16 pm
ctrav wrote:
Two9tene wrote:

I spoke in jest as I never doubted you for a moment...now swing on over 🤣🤣
[/quote]

I figured as much brother! Lmao I just wanted to make sure no “guests”, “bots” or members for that matter underestimate my will and conviction for lawn care!!!! Lmao 🤣💯
"One of the great challenges in life, is knowing enough to think you’re right, but not enough to know you’re wrong" - Neil Degrasse Tyson :roll:
2018-2019 Journal

Ren
Lawn of the Month
Grass Type: Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: John Deere 220 greens mower

Post by Ren »

Sorry if this was addressed and i missed it, should i not spray tnex until after i do my leveling renovation in april or may?

Greendoc
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: All warm season turf
Lawn Size: Acres
Mower: Toro GM 1000

Post by Greendoc »

Ren wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:00 pm
Sorry if this was addressed and i missed it, should i not spray tnex until after i do my leveling renovation in april or may?
Hold the TNex until you are done leveling and the grass is growing back.

andyl9063
Grass Type: Not sure
Lawn Size: 12000 sq ft
Mower: NA

Post by andyl9063 »

Do you guys recommend this for a new lawn? Just lay down sod for about 2 weeks so it's still getting established. I'm going to need to level out this lawn big time.
I have almost 12,000 sq ft so it's going to be a lot of work. I'm willing to rent machines to help with this.
I'm leaning towards waiting it out this year to see how it is and tackling this next year.

Picture below was after heavy rainfalls. Ignore the pond area, that is getting raise and slope to the back for a garden bed.

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin »

21 yards of pure enjoyment just got delivered. To add to the fun, the dump truck driver took out my cable and electricity when he pulled forward with the bucket still up. 😬

Power and cable company came out fast and got it all out back together. The sand company is sending out an electrician to check my mast for damage.

twolf
Lawn Size: 10K
Mower: CalTrimmer 20", EGO 21"

Post by twolf »

andyl9063 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:30 pm
Do you guys recommend this for a new lawn? Just lay down sod for about 2 weeks so it's still getting established. I'm going to need to level out this lawn big time.
I have almost 12,000 sq ft so it's going to be a lot of work. I'm willing to rent machines to help with this.
I'm leaning towards waiting it out this year to see how it is and tackling this next year.

Picture below was after heavy rainfalls. Ignore the pond area, that is getting raise and slope to the back for a garden bed.
You need to wait till the sod roots properly. Also, the soil will settle differently in different places. So, I would wait year or two before doing any leveling.

Mister Bill
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1000 sq. ft.
Mower: McLane 20/Tru-Cut 20/Honda HRR

Post by Mister Bill »

andyl9063 wrote:

Heavy rains or not, a properly graded yard will not hold water as shown in the image. Photos can be deceiving, but it appears the surrounding elevation is higher than your property, which is why the water is pooling as it is. Piling enough sand onto the yard to raise the low areas, whether it is this year or next, will only compound the problem as the water will just flow down through the sand like a sieve and pool below the sod line creating a perfect environment for root rot and fungus. Regrading the yard to correct the lack of runoff should have been done prior to laying sod. I'm sure this isn't what you are wanting to hear, but it is what I am seeing from the photo.

andyl9063

Post by andyl9063 »

Well that was not what I wanted to hear. I'm going to let it grow and see how the drainage is.
That was my fear and the grading job that was done suck.

Mister Bill
TLF Supporter

Post by Mister Bill »

andyl9063 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:26 pm
Well that was not what I wanted to hear. I'm going to let it grow and see how the drainage is.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is what it is. The grass can root in and grow, but that will not change the drainage, this I can assure you. Ignoring the problem will not make it go away regardless of how it came about or why it exists. The good news is it is repairable, but you probably won't like the solution either. :D

Good luck and stay safe.

andyl9063

Post by andyl9063 »

Mister Bill wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:39 pm
andyl9063 wrote:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is what it is. The grass can root in and grow, but that will not change the drainage, this I can assure you. Ignoring the problem will not make it go away regardless of how it came about or why it exists. The good news is it is repairable, but you probably won't like the solution either. :D

Good luck and stay safe.
How would you repair this? I picture you ripping it all up and regrading and putting down new sod.

Can I slowly grade certain areas at a time with sand and top soil? Let the sod grow through that?

As you can see, I am a total newbie when it comes lawn, let alone this grading since I sub it out.

Mister Bill
TLF Supporter

Post by Mister Bill »

andyl9063 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:54 pm
Mister Bill wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:39 pm
andyl9063 wrote:

Good luck and stay safe.
How would you repair this? I picture you ripping it all up and regrading and putting down new sod.

Can I slowly grade certain areas at a time with sand and top soil? Let the sod grow through that?

As you can see, I am a total newbie when it comes lawn, let alone this grading since I sub it out.
Me personally, I would gently pull up the sod you have laid before it roots any further, stack it up out of the way, have the yard regraded, and re lay the sod. As for what grading will entail, it is difficult to evaluate just from the photo alone. In summary, the lowest point of your surrounding property line is where you need to focus on getting the water to.

As for bringing in fill over time and building up the low areas, that would be a feasible solution if there is an already existing natural grade beyond the scope of the picture for the displaced water to flow into and away from the property. If the current grading beyond the backyard allows for this, then build up the low areas with good old Georgia red clay in 2" lifts and allow the turf to grow up through creating new a root structure as you said. The underlying smothered turf will then decompose turning your clay into topsoil over time. This would be a multi year repair, and again, only doable if there is already adequate slope in place beyond the areas that are being raised. Only after the drainage issue is corrected would I sand. Sanding is for leveling out minor dips and mainly done to flatten out a yard, not to reroute water.

The first option will most likely be the least expensive long term, quickest to do, and reap the best results. The second option is only doable if the displaced water has somewhere to go, and preferably, not your house foundation. :lol:

Clear as mud? :lol:

WDE46
Lawn Size: 6,700 Sq Ft
Mower: 21" Greenworks 80V

Post by WDE46 »

andyl9063 wrote:

You've got bigger problems than a level lawn. I'm not expert, but I would think raising that dirt area will simply flood your yard more. Right now some water from the yard flows out into that area. If you raise it, it'll get stuck in the yard. I'd regrade the whole thing because those massive puddles will never go away.

jpos34
Lawn Size: 8000
Mower: John Deere L111

Post by jpos34 »

Planning for my level job to come in the near future. House was built last year and grade not brought up high enough for grass to be even with edges of concrete. Here are a few pictures for reference. When I level do I just basically run my drag across the concrete and grass at same time in order to get up to same level as concrete. Does it look like I have too much of drop off from concrete where the grass won’t grow back through the sand?

manthatsnice
Grass Type: Tif 419
Lawn Size: 7k sq ft
Mower: Toro GM 1000

Post by manthatsnice »

jpos34 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:12 pm
Planning for my level job to come in the near future. House was built last year and grade not brought up high enough for grass to be even with edges of concrete. Here are a few pictures for reference. When I level do I just basically run my drag across the concrete and grass at same time in order to get up to same level as concrete. Does it look like I have too much of drop off from concrete where the grass won’t grow back through the sand?

I would consider cutting the grass out in the area of your concrete, putting sand down, then putting the grass back down on top of the sand. I've done that in several problem areas. More work up front but it looks great in no time. The only sand you'll have on the surface is maybe in the seams and if you have to feather in the area you cut out.

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Raleigh St Augustine/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20,630
Mower: Badboy ZT Elite 48

Post by CenlaLowell »

The drag mat I've used last year left a lot to be desired. Basically the mat floats with the lawn so it can't possibly level bad spot correctly. This is the one I have now

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014SY8B5E/re ... HEb4K68SKJ

My thinking is if I got something like @wardconnor had it my be better. I'm also wondering if it would be okay to drag something like over st Augustine?

I would get it built to 3x3 or 5x5

Chime in.....
Killing two birds with one stone is the name of the game. :bandit:

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Cenlalowell Bermuda kill off trial

Hadendm
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: GM1000

Post by Hadendm »

CenlaLowell wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:21 am
The drag mat I've used last year left a lot to be desired. Basically the mat floats with the lawn so it can't possibly level bad spot correctly. This is the one I have now

My thinking is if I got something like @wardconnor had it my be better. I'm also wondering if it would be okay to drag something like over st Augustine?

Chime in.....
I was also inspired by @wardconnor I bought some metal and had a friend weld up my level rake for me. Cost less than $75. I can either push/pull by hand or hook it up to the lawn tractor and pull it. It’s all steel so it’s nice and heavy.

Kicker
Grass Type: bermuda
Lawn Size: 4500 sqft
Mower: Toro rotary / GM 1000

Post by Kicker »

CenlaLowell wrote:

Chime in.....
I've heard of people that have the drag mat you got on amazon of modifying it so that it stays more rigid.

The solid metal bar where the rope attaches was moved 90 degress to one side or the other and afixed back to the drag mat. Doing that makes it so that the links don't articulate up/down in the direction you'll be pulling it. I think i saw a thread on here or maybe just a post in this thread about doing that.

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin »

Kicker wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:29 am
CenlaLowell wrote:

Chime in.....
I've heard of people that have the drag mat you got on amazon of modifying it so that it stays more rigid.

The solid metal bar where the rope attaches was moved 90 degress to one side or the other and afixed back to the drag mat. Doing that makes it so that the links don't articulate up/down in the direction you'll be pulling it. I think i saw a thread on here or maybe just a post in this thread about doing that.
I had the same problem with that exact drag mat. It worked great at getting the sand down into the turf but did very little as far as leveling.