TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Celebration, Yukon, P77
Lawn Size: 5,000
Mower: Troy Bilt, 220B, 260B, Mclane

Re: Leveling a Bermuda Lawn

Post by Bmossin »

cousineau18 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:26 am
Is this a good sand to use for leveling? Also I have about 6K SQ FT to level, how many yards is standard to get the job done. [
Looks good to me...1 yard per 1,000 square feet is the usual guide...go with more if you have some areas that need a lot of help. I did 4 yards on 2,500 square feet and probably could have used more.

cousineau18
Grass Type: Yukon Bermuda Back /TTTF Front
Lawn Size: 10,300
Mower: Toro AWD Personal Pace

Post by cousineau18 »

Bmossin wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:40 am
cousineau18 wrote:
Is this a good sand to use for leveling? Also I have about 6K SQ FT to level, how many yards is standard to get the job done. [
Looks good to me...1 yard per 1,000 square feet is the usual guide...go with more if you have some areas that need a lot of help. I did 4 yards on 2,500 square feet and probably could have used more.
Good deal. TIA

tcorbitt20
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda
Lawn Size: 16000 sq ft
Mower: Tru Cut C27

Post by tcorbitt20 »

cousineau18 wrote:
That sand looks just right. Figure about 1 yard per 1000 sq ft unless it’s really bumpy now and then maybe an extra yard.

Kicker
Grass Type: bermuda
Lawn Size: 4500 sqft
Mower: Toro rotary / GM 1000

Post by Kicker »

cousineau18 wrote:
That sand should work. Typically you'll need 1 cubic yard of sand per 1000 sq. ft. If you core aerate prior plan on getting 25% more sand than the 1cu.yd/1k.

I'd potentially shop around to other suppliers, that seems kind of high for the cost of 1 yard. I'm in a different region so that may play a role in my thinking. Also, if you can go inspect the sand prior to buying i would HIGHLY suggest it just to make sure it's clean without debris/rocks mixed in.

JayGo
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Bermudagrass
Lawn Size: 5700 sq ft
Mower: Allett Kensington 20H

Post by JayGo »

Looking for some insight from the group.

So I leveled my Bermudgrass lawn the 1st week of July (few weeks back, I posted pics followed by update pics a few weeks later). Grass came in ridiculously fast. It was super exciting to see that happening considering I used 9.5 cu yds of sand for 5300 sq ft.
Since then, the Texas heat has really kicked a lot of our asses down here. Mine is still the greenest lawn around my immediate area, but some heat stress is unavoidable. 25 of the last 27 days have been well over 100° and not a single drop of rain. One can only water so much to keep the soil moist before the water bill starts to laugh at you.

Any hoo, I have a few small-ish spots where the sand went on a little heavier because of the severe unevenness in that area, and as a result the grass hasn't grown in. Just sand.

What steps can I take to fill in those bare spots? Since there's sand sitting on top of those spots, I would think that seeding is not an option. Should I maybe work in some soil if I want to seed/plug those spots. Everywhere else, the grass did well post-sand leveling. I just have a few spots that show no signs of activity.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated.
"4 weeks...20 papers....that's $2 plus tip."

smurg
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 5,000 sq ft
Mower: Tru-cut P-20

Post by smurg »

cousineau18 wrote:
Looks decent from the pic but make sure it looks like that before you get 5+ cu yard in your driveway if you can. Ask if they have an analysis for particle size. If they're close to ASTM C-144, it should be decent.

tcorbitt20
TLF Supporter

Post by tcorbitt20 »

JayGo wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:21 pm

So I leveled my Bermudgrass lawn the 1st week of July (few weeks back, I posted pics followed by update pics a few weeks later). Grass came in ridiculously fast. It was super exciting to see that happening considering I used 9.5 cu yds of sand for 5300 sq ft.
Since then, the Texas heat has really kicked a lot of our asses down here. Mine is still the greenest lawn around my immediate area, but some heat stress is unavoidable. 25 of the last 27 days have been well over 100° and not a single drop of rain. One can only water so much to keep the soil moist before the water bill starts to laugh at you.

Any hoo, I have a few small-ish spots where the sand went on a little heavier because of the severe unevenness in that area, and as a result the grass hasn't grown in. Just sand.

What steps can I take to fill in those bare spots? Since there's sand sitting on top of those spots, I would think that seeding is not an option. Should I maybe work in some soil if I want to seed/plug those spots. Everywhere else, the grass did well post-sand leveling. I just have a few spots that show no signs of activity.

I had some spots like that last year that took 43 days before I couldn’t tell where they were. You could put a little more Nitrogen down and keep a little water (at least 1” week in that heat), and it should grow in before the season is over. You’ll be good.

DuncanMcDonuts
Grass Type: Tifway 419/TifTuf
Lawn Size: 3500
Mower: Baroness LM56

Post by DuncanMcDonuts »

JayGo wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:21 pm

I'd just water the trouble spots with the hose. It'll fill in in no time. This heat and drought is killer. My water bill got over $200 last month. I'm currently hosing down areas of my yard daily, in particular the grass patch easement between the street and sidewalk. I have drip lines there but I don't think I watered in the fertilizer enough so it burned with the combination of the heat and drought.
Last edited by DuncanMcDonuts on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quadmasta
Grass Type: Bermudagrass
Lawn Size: 2000 sqft
Mower: Troy Bilt rotary, McLane 20"

Post by quadmasta »

I had some really uneven parts in my yard. How am I supposed to mow without the roller bulldozing the sand?

Kicker
Grass Type: bermuda
Lawn Size: 4500 sqft
Mower: Toro rotary / GM 1000

Post by Kicker »

quadmasta wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:55 pm
I had some really uneven parts in my yard. How am I supposed to mow without the roller bulldozing the sand?
mow around those areas if everything else has fully grown through.

quadmasta
Grass Type: Bermudagrass
Lawn Size: 2000 sqft
Mower: Troy Bilt rotary, McLane 20"

Post by quadmasta »

"those areas" are most of the lawn. I double-cut down to a little over a half inch; as low as I could go without the mower stopping itself by high centering. It would normally be due for a cut on Saturday. Do I have to just wait until now has grown through and let it get longer?

tcorbitt20
TLF Supporter

Post by tcorbitt20 »

Just let it grow. You can always give it a HOC reset later.

JayGo
TLF Supporter

Post by JayGo »

@DuncanMcDonuts @tcorbitt20
Thanks for chiming in, guys. I appreciate it a lot.

I really, really hope water and some nitrogen is the solution. But I am worried, because today I moved the sand around to expose the grass, and the thick turf that was there pre-leveling looks dead. Thankfully, the worst of the bare spots are in my backyard.

Could my problem be a mix of:
1. maybe I did this too late in the Texas summer?
2. maybe it just needed more water than I expected with heat and sand?
3. maybe I didn't apply enough ammonium sulfate...3.5 lbs/1K? I went with the 21-0-0 because of my 7.3 pH. I was pretty scared of going heavier on the nitrogen because I keep reading that standard app rates during the middle of summer are not good for the grass.

And like you @DuncanMcDonuts, I've been watering spots daily, too. ESPECIALLY, that strip of grass between the sidewalk and street. Still, it started to yellow on me this week.

Also, since leveling, the sand has destroyed 2 sets of blades. I'm about to slap on my 3rd set in the weeks since I leveled.

Thanks again, guys, for the reply.
Last edited by JayGo on Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tcorbitt20
TLF Supporter

Post by tcorbitt20 »

JayGo wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:12 pm
@DuncanMcDonuts @tcorbitt20
Thanks for chiming in, guys. I appreciate it a lot.

I really, really hope water and some nitrogen is the solution. But I am worried, because today I moved the sand around to expose the grass, and the thick turf that was there pre-leveling looks dead. Thankfully, the worst of the bare spots are in my backyard.

3. maybe I didn't apply enough ammonium sulfate...3.5 lbs/1K? I went with the 21-0-0 because of my 7.3 pH. I was pretty scared of going heavier on the nitrogen because I keep reading that standard app rates during the middle of summer are not good for the grass.

And like you @DuncanMcDonuts, I've been watering spots daily, too. ESPECIALLY, that strip of grass between the sidewalk and street. Still, it started to yellow on me this week.

Also, since leveling, the sand has destroyed 2 sets of blades. I'm about to slap on my 3rd set in the weeks since I leveled.

Thanks again, guys, for the reply.
How much did you drag it after you spread the sand? That made the biggest difference from last year’s project to this year’s for me. I’d just let it grow for a while to let it fill in a little better. Don’t go crazy with the water, but don’t neglect it either. It will fill in. Even if you smothered a few spots, it’ll spread and fill back in. It’s bermuda. You can’t kill it.

JayGo
TLF Supporter

Post by JayGo »

tcorbitt20 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:21 pm
JayGo wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:12 pm

How much did you drag it after you spread the sand? That made the biggest difference from last year’s project to this year’s for me. I’d just let it grow for a while to let it fill in a little better. Don’t go crazy with the water, but don’t neglect it either. It will fill in. Even if you smothered a few spots, it’ll spread and fill back in. It’s bermuda. You can’t kill it.
If anything, I probably dragged the lawn way more than necessary. First, by hand with a drag mat, but then I really had fun driving my neighbor's ATV with the drag mat attached. I'll say that 85% of my lawn grew in great, and it was all dragged similarly. It's that 15-ish% that has stopped filling in.

Let me ask this...it's been about 3 weeks since I applied any nitrogen...if I go heavier with irrigation, can I apply a heavier nitrogen rate?

DuncanMcDonuts
Grass Type: Tifway 419/TifTuf
Lawn Size: 3500
Mower: Baroness LM56

Post by DuncanMcDonuts »

@JayGo You can do 4.76 lbs of ammonium sulfate per 1000 sq ft to get 1 lb of nitrogen down. I've been doing about half that every week for an aggressive growth after my scalp and regrading. The biggest worry with excessive fertilizer during summer is insufficient water that will end up burning the grass. As long as you're still irrigating, it should be fine. I've been irrigating about 1.5" of water a week.

I added about 12 yards of topsoil to 1000 sq ft on my side yard in the middle of July. Some areas got smothered in over 3-4" of topsoil. Some bermuda still ended up popping through. I plugged and sprigged and there's over 50% grow-in by now. It'll probably take another month to have full coverage. Fortunately our grow season lasts through October, so I don't think you're too late on anything.

JayGo
TLF Supporter

Post by JayGo »

DuncanMcDonuts wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:36 pm
@JayGo You can do 4.76 lbs of ammonium sulfate per 1000 sq ft to get 1 lb of nitrogen down. I've been doing about half that every week for an aggressive growth after my scalp and regrading. The biggest worry with excessive fertilizer during summer is insufficient water that will end up burning the grass. As long as you're still irrigating, it should be fine. I've been irrigating about 1.5" of water a week.

I added about 12 yards of topsoil to 1000 sq ft on my side yard in the middle of July. Some areas got smothered in over 3-4" of topsoil. Some bermuda still ended up popping through. I plugged and sprigged and there's over 50% grow-in by now. It'll probably take another month to have full coverage. Fortunately our grow season lasts through October, so I don't think you're too late on anything.
12 yards on 1K and it's growing in?! Dang. Bermuda is no joke. :lol:
I did 3.5 lbs/1K of ammonium sulfate twice, two weeks apart. Then I got scared about the nitrogen. ha ha It was 3 weeks later that I threw down some Carbon X at 2 lbs/1K. Again, I was trying to spoon feed.
Is straight up nitrogen the way to go, or would a bit of potash and phos with the nitrogen be better?

drewwitt
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: 2613
Mower: Tru-Cut P20 7 blade

Post by drewwitt »

It’s bermuda. It will be fine. Once temps drop a little in September it will go crazy.

JayGo
TLF Supporter

Post by JayGo »

drewwitt wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:54 pm
It’s bermuda. It will be fine. Once temps drop a little in September it will go crazy.
:thumbup: Thanks @drewwitt
It was filling in so darn well for about 6 weeks, and then it stopped in some spots. Hoping to get it all back soon.

ladycage
Grass Type: Bermuda and weeds
Lawn Size: 16000
Mower: Fiskars reel mower & riding

Post by ladycage »

What is the best temp range for Bermuda to grow in?
drewwitt wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:54 pm