2020 | What did you do with your lawn today?

Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

2020 | What did you do with your lawn today?

Post by Ware »

Happy New Year TLF!

I gave my PRG overseed a quick cut this afternoon...

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Raleigh St Augustine/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20,630
Mower: Badboy ZT Elite 48

Re: 2020 | What did you do with your lawn today?

Post by CenlaLowell »

Built me a water sprinkler today.

Killing two birds with one stone is the name of the game. :bandit:

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Cenlalowell Bermuda kill off trial

bbbdkc79
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: Swardman Edwin 55

Post by bbbdkc79 »

Gave my lawn a quick cut at .625" and hit it with pre-emergent. Sorry about the driveway stains and trash cans in the background.

Austinite
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda: Latitude 36
Lawn Size: 5500
Mower: Electra+Edwin+Timemaster+Robot

Post by Austinite »

Ware wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:09 pm
Happy New Year TLF!

I gave my PRG overseed a quick cut this afternoon...

Lookinn goooooooood!
ImageImageImage

viva_oldtrafford
Grass Type: Tifdwarf / Celebration / 419
Lawn Size: 200 acres
Mower: Too many to list

Post by viva_oldtrafford »

Scalped out an area for a new, longer tee. Temps are still pretty low, so we need to raise soil temp while also allowing sunlight to get to the plant. The plastic cover from my new mattress should do just that. In theory, it’ll work. We’ll see.

bbbdkc79
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: Swardman Edwin 55

Post by bbbdkc79 »

So when can I come take a divot or two?

FlowRider
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: ~17000 sq. ft.
Mower: John Deere X350 and Honda HRX

Post by FlowRider »

I cut my front yard with the riding lawn mower, from 3.5 inches tall (or more in some areas) down to 2.75 inches.

I filled eight 39 gallon lawn bags with clippings. The yard looks very smooth now, trimmed up very nicely.

My goal is to start lowering the cutting height each time I mow to get the yard scalped down in several lifts.

The yard looks like yellow straw now, except where I have some winter weeds peeking out. They get sprayed soon.

It was a nice day to mow - 62 degrees and cool. The John Deere keeps proving its value to me every mowing....

HOA wannabe-Nazi lady doing her drive-by inspection on 1/21; trying to get them to leave me alone this year...!
I can grow weeds with the best of them...! :bd:

LBK_419
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 8,000 sq feet
Mower: Trimmer reel mower 20"

Post by LBK_419 »

Making some backyard curves and borders. Too many right angles and places that I have to push and pull my reel mower around. Making one clean outside lap. Marked my lines with a string and then paint. Then I used my edger to cut a trench. Lastly I laid in the colmet and hammered in the spikes. I plan to do this all around the perimeter of the backyard. Then I’ll lay down weed barrier fabric and fill in with rock. I’ll post pictures/progress along the way. I had to get out and do something.... tired of cold weather and being inside...

Teej
Grass Type: Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3000 sq. ft.
Mower: California Trimmer

Post by Teej »

Took it down to about .5" with the Earthwise push reel in prep for the spring and spot sprayed some weeds. Taking it down this low has really shown me where I need to level this year.

daviddsims
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: 15,000
Mower: John Deere X350

Post by daviddsims »

FlowRider wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:32 pm
I cut my front yard with the riding lawn mower, from 3.5 inches tall (or more in some areas) down to 2.75 inches.

I filled eight 39 gallon lawn bags with clippings. The yard looks very smooth now, trimmed up very nicely.

My goal is to start lowering the cutting height each time I mow to get the yard scalped down in several lifts.

The yard looks like yellow straw now, except where I have some winter weeds peeking out. They get sprayed soon.

It was a nice day to mow - 62 degrees and cool. The John Deere keeps proving its value to me every mowing....

HOA wannabe-Nazi lady doing her drive-by inspection on 1/21; trying to get them to leave me alone this year...!
I will probably start lowering my zoysia in a few weeks by doing the same thing. I have the same mower as you without the bagger. It would be a nice addition to help do this but I have the mulching blades and will just have to rake I guess.

TNTurf
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: 15k
Mower: Toro Flex 21, Honda HRC216

Post by TNTurf »

The only thing I did with mine today was walk around looking at dog poop to see if we could find any puzzle pieces. We’re not reclaiming them but 38 are missing and we’re pretty sure it was the dog. Speaking of, its time to scoop up again.

TN Hawkeye
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Fescmuda
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Post by TN Hawkeye »

TNTurf wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:00 pm
The only thing I did with mine today was walk around looking at dog poop to see if we could find any puzzle pieces. We’re not reclaiming them but 38 are missing and we’re pretty sure it was the dog. Speaking of, its time to scoop up again.
I would find the turds that look like corner pieces first. After that it should go together pretty easily.
I may not have the best lawn and I may not have a clue what I’m doing but that’s pretty much all I have to say.

Gilley11
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: 2k zoy, 1.5k rye
Mower: JD LA120, Gardena 380Li

Post by Gilley11 »

TN Hawkeye wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:16 pm
I would find the turds that look like corner pieces first. After that it should go together pretty easily.
🤣👍
Mesotrione-Tenacity split: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17036
Leveling drag: viewtopic.php?p=248651#p248651
Levelling rake: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14949

stogie1020
Lawn Size: 900SqFt
Mower: Scott's 20in Push Reel

Post by stogie1020 »

@Teej , Which model Earthwise cuts at .5"? I am looking to replace my scotts because it only drops down to 1", but I have only found the Great States and the American Lawn push mowers to go down to .5" (I think some SunJoe do as well).
Last edited by stogie1020 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teej
Grass Type: Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3000 sq. ft.
Mower: California Trimmer

Post by Teej »

stogie1020 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:15 pm
@Teej , Which model Earthwise cuts at .5"? I am looking to replace my scotts because it only drops down to 1", but I have only found the Great States and the American Lawn push mowers to go down to .5" (I think some SunJoe do as well).
The 7 blade Earthwise 171516EW will go down to .5". To cut down on float, I also removed the rear roller.

jakemauldin
Grass Type: Bermuda(P77), Texas HBG SPF-30
Lawn Size: 2.75 acres
Mower: Toro 60" Zero Turn

Post by jakemauldin »

Received a Mavic Mini for Christmas and was able to get a little fly by of the place. Looking forward to catching some cool footage of lawn projects!

Jairow
Lawn Size: 4200 sf
Mower: Fiskars Reel Mower

Post by Jairow »

Used my new pro plugger for the first time. Trying to get a bare area to fill in with common Bermuda.

Bermuda_Rooster
Lawn Size: 2500 sq ft
Mower: Earthwise 7-Blade Push Reel

Post by Bermuda_Rooster »

We watched as a small tracked earth mover drove ruts into our new sod in the pouring rain while it was working on the house next door. Thankfully they replaced the sod, but it now sits about an inch higher than the rest of the yard. So that's fun.

stogie1020
Lawn Size: 900SqFt
Mower: Scott's 20in Push Reel

Post by stogie1020 »

Teej wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:38 pm
stogie1020 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:15 pm
The 7 blade Earthwise 171516EW will go down to .5". To cut down on float, I also removed the rear roller.
Thanks!

FlowRider
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: ~17000 sq. ft.
Mower: John Deere X350 and Honda HRX

Post by FlowRider »

daviddsims wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:16 am
I will probably start lowering my zoysia in a few weeks by doing the same thing. I have the same mower as you without the bagger. It would be a nice addition to help do this but I have the mulching blades and will just have to rake I guess.
It really depends on how much lawn debris you end up with. I have a fairly large yard, and I would hate to have to rake up all that thatch and bag it up manually. When I was younger I probably would have tried it first, but wisdom comes with age...?

I put the plastic lawn bags inside the bags on the bagger, and press the thatch into them to pack the bags as full as I can without bending or breaking stuff. Then I pull the bags out and goose-neck tie them off before leaving them at curbside.

Our little city has heavy trash pickup every 2nd and 4th Monday, and you can set out up to 15 clear plastic bags at the curb and they will haul them away twice a month. It isn't free - I have to pay a trash fee on my monthly water/sewer bill (~$18) to cover the cost of hauling off the garbage, recyclables, and yard or heavy trash, but it is better than hauling it all to a dump.

My yard creates such a high volume of clippings I do not want to try composting it all, so I just have it hauled away.

I plan to scalp it all down and switch to mulching blades and cut more often to see if I can stop bagging all summer....

Up until now, I wanted to get all the weed seed heads cut off and vacuumed up, so I bagged everything that I could.

One thing to remember - I spread dithiopyr for pre-emergent - I would not want to break the barrier against seedlings.

I may not be able to get away from bagging as a result, but I am still experimenting with best cultivation methods, so only time, and actual results in the field, will tell.... The bagger system cost me $650 to buy, which is also a consideration....

Good luck with your lawn! Here is a picture of my last scalping - this was a "super heavy trash" day, which lets you avoid the 15 bags limit. My trash men hate me, but I keep the bags under 40 pounds - I have to lift them out of the bagger...!

I can grow weeds with the best of them...! :bd: