Lawn Care Forum banner

2020 | What did you do with your lawn today?

186K views 2K replies 314 participants last post by  Redtwin 
#1 ·
Happy New Year TLF!

I gave my PRG overseed a quick cut this afternoon...

See less See more
#7 ·
I cut my front yard with the riding lawn mower, from 3.5 inches tall (or more in some areas) down to 2.75 inches.

I filled eight 39 gallon lawn bags with clippings. The yard looks very smooth now, trimmed up very nicely.

My goal is to start lowering the cutting height each time I mow to get the yard scalped down in several lifts.

The yard looks like yellow straw now, except where I have some winter weeds peeking out. They get sprayed soon.

It was a nice day to mow - 62 degrees and cool. The John Deere keeps proving its value to me every mowing....

HOA wannabe-Nazi lady doing her drive-by inspection on 1/21; trying to get them to leave me alone this year...!

#8 ·
Making some backyard curves and borders. Too many right angles and places that I have to push and pull my reel mower around. Making one clean outside lap. Marked my lines with a string and then paint. Then I used my edger to cut a trench. Lastly I laid in the colmet and hammered in the spikes. I plan to do this all around the perimeter of the backyard. Then I'll lay down weed barrier fabric and fill in with rock. I'll post pictures/progress along the way. I had to get out and do something.... tired of cold weather and being inside...

#10 ·
FlowRider said:
I cut my front yard with the riding lawn mower, from 3.5 inches tall (or more in some areas) down to 2.75 inches.

I filled eight 39 gallon lawn bags with clippings. The yard looks very smooth now, trimmed up very nicely.

My goal is to start lowering the cutting height each time I mow to get the yard scalped down in several lifts.

The yard looks like yellow straw now, except where I have some winter weeds peeking out. They get sprayed soon.

It was a nice day to mow - 62 degrees and cool. The John Deere keeps proving its value to me every mowing....

HOA wannabe-Nazi lady doing her drive-by inspection on 1/21; trying to get them to leave me alone this year...!
I will probably start lowering my zoysia in a few weeks by doing the same thing. I have the same mower as you without the bagger. It would be a nice addition to help do this but I have the mulching blades and will just have to rake I guess.

#12 ·
TNTurf said:
The only thing I did with mine today was walk around looking at dog poop to see if we could find any puzzle pieces. We're not reclaiming them but 38 are missing and we're pretty sure it was the dog. Speaking of, its time to scoop up again.
I would find the turds that look like corner pieces first. After that it should go together pretty easily.

#15 ·
stogie1020 said:
@Teej , Which model Earthwise cuts at .5"? I am looking to replace my scotts because it only drops down to 1", but I have only found the Great States and the American Lawn push mowers to go down to .5" (I think some SunJoe do as well).
The 7 blade Earthwise 171516EW will go down to .5". To cut down on float, I also removed the rear roller.

#19 ·
Teej said:
stogie1020 said:
@Teej , Which model Earthwise cuts at .5"? I am looking to replace my scotts because it only drops down to 1", but I have only found the Great States and the American Lawn push mowers to go down to .5" (I think some SunJoe do as well).
The 7 blade Earthwise 171516EW will go down to .5". To cut down on float, I also removed the rear roller.
Thanks!

#20 ·
daviddsims said:
I will probably start lowering my zoysia in a few weeks by doing the same thing. I have the same mower as you without the bagger. It would be a nice addition to help do this but I have the mulching blades and will just have to rake I guess.
It really depends on how much lawn debris you end up with. I have a fairly large yard, and I would hate to have to rake up all that thatch and bag it up manually. When I was younger I probably would have tried it first, but wisdom comes with age...?

I put the plastic lawn bags inside the bags on the bagger, and press the thatch into them to pack the bags as full as I can without bending or breaking stuff. Then I pull the bags out and goose-neck tie them off before leaving them at curbside.

Our little city has heavy trash pickup every 2nd and 4th Monday, and you can set out up to 15 clear plastic bags at the curb and they will haul them away twice a month. It isn't free - I have to pay a trash fee on my monthly water/sewer bill (~$18) to cover the cost of hauling off the garbage, recyclables, and yard or heavy trash, but it is better than hauling it all to a dump.

My yard creates such a high volume of clippings I do not want to try composting it all, so I just have it hauled away.

I plan to scalp it all down and switch to mulching blades and cut more often to see if I can stop bagging all summer....

Up until now, I wanted to get all the weed seed heads cut off and vacuumed up, so I bagged everything that I could.

One thing to remember - I spread dithiopyr for pre-emergent - I would not want to break the barrier against seedlings.

I may not be able to get away from bagging as a result, but I am still experimenting with best cultivation methods, so only time, and actual results in the field, will tell.... The bagger system cost me $650 to buy, which is also a consideration....

Good luck with your lawn! Here is a picture of my last scalping - this was a "super heavy trash" day, which lets you avoid the 15 bags limit. My trash men hate me, but I keep the bags under 40 pounds - I have to lift them out of the bagger...!

#23 ·
While my St. A is still dormant, I got after the Crape Myrtles, took a few inches off the end of last year's sprigs, gave them a nice rounded ball top. I expect they should bloom nicely. (Sounds easy enough, but entailed no less than 50 trips up and down the ladder) Lots of pruning elsewhere. Waiting on sample results from the Ag Extension.

#25 ·
ctrav said:
First off hello to all as it has been awhile! Sorry my lawn has been sleeping :lol:
Going out and pulling plugs for soil testing and then hitting the lawn with 2-4D!!
Good to hear from you. I did a 2,4-D spot spray this past weekend as well. We finally got a good weather window.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.