Help ! Fungus and weeds and what I can do??

Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
Helv2040
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: .20 acres approx
Mower: Push mower

Help ! Fungus and weeds and what I can do??

Post by Helv2040 »

Hey guys I need some advice. I was not able to purchase the good stuff for post emergent due to money shortage. So I purchased some BioAdvamce All in One concentrate Lawn weed & Crabgrass killer (pic I hope if it worked is below). What I am wanting to know is if this will help with the weeds I have in the pictures. Also I am wondering what would be a good fungus killer for what I included in the pictures. Any help would be appreciated so I can get to a Lowe's before they shut everything down.

Thanks

Last edited by Helv2040 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Helv2040

Re: Help ! Fungus and weeds and what I can do

Post by Helv2040 »

Oh I forgot to mention and I don't know if it matters but according to the bottle I can reapply in 2 weeks. So I'm guessing that means I have to give it 2 weeks to work?

Topic Author
Helv2040

Re: Help ! Fungus and weeds and what I can do??

Post by Helv2040 »

Any advice or recommendations?
Thanks,

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin »

Short of picture 5 and 6, 2,4-D should take care of the broadleaf weeds. Apply according to label for Bermuda. There are several products at Home Depot or Lowe’s with 2,4-D but check the labels and don’t use anything with Atrazine in it. Make sure it’s safe for Bermuda. Personally, I would use Celsius. You can get it at most Site One stores.

Picture 5 is poa annua, it will die when temps warm up. Get on a pre-m program in the fall to prevent it next winter.

Picture 6 is torpedograss, I believe. Label rate of Quinchlorac will hurt it. It may take multiple applications to eliminate it.

Hope this help as a starting point.

McDiddles
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: 2500sqft
Mower: McLane

Post by McDiddles »

pic 1 looks like moss. That's not a fungus. You'll probably have to rake that out. Eliminate the water, or shade that's causing it grow.

based on your pics I'm afraid you wont see good results with that product. The poa will die out soon enough. Celsius would be a better choice as mentioned.

Topic Author
Helv2040

Post by Helv2040 »

I agree with you guys on using Celsius, but right now I just do not have the cash for it up front. I am hopeful that later on I will once things start picking back up. I believe the reason for the moss is due to the heavy amount of rain we got this past year and that my soil has a lot of clay in it. I will start to rake it out and hopefully that will get rid of it and also see what I might be able to do to keep it from coming back. Thanks again for the advice guys.

Redtwin
TLF Supporter

Post by Redtwin »

Celsius is actually cheaper on a per app basis, you just have to buy the full quantity when you get your own product, which I'm with you, it's a chunk of cash. You could check the marketplace on this site to see if anyone in your area wants to split a bottle.

Celsius WG Exchange

Mister Bill
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1000 sq. ft.
Mower: McLane 20/Tru-Cut 20/Honda HRR

Post by Mister Bill »

Any cocktail consisting of 2,4,-D, Dicamba, and Quinclorac will knock down most weeds except POA and sedge. The problem with the big box over the counter products is the percentage of AI is miniscule in relation to price per bottle. The label rates are designed for the average user without burning the turf.

Celsius/Certainty/Revolver products are very effective, and I own them all, but they are not essential for a weed free yard, especially this time of the year with cooler temperatures. They are drugs of convenience, so to speak. You can use what you already have and take down everything but the POA. To be certain you are getting full efficacy, or as much as possible, mow the lawn/weeds, wait two days, and then do a blanket spray with a hot mix and a sticker. Time this so there is no forecast of rain for at least 24 hours. I know, rainproof in one hour, marketing speak. In truth, 4 hours is usually enough, but, let's say 24 for good measure.

The "trick" here is, the weeds will uptake the AI quicker and easier when the weeds are not under stress and actively growing. Hence, why we wait two days after mowing to apply. Furthermore, the less leaf volume there is, the higher the concentration of the AI will be absorbed into the weed and lessening the plants ability to shake it off, which is why we mow first. Doing this will give you the best shot at taking down the weeds. Wait 10-14 days, and then repeat the entire process. The second round will send the few weeds remaining over the edge and any new growth that occurred after the first spray.

Redtwin and McDiddles know their stuff and gave you good advice. But given your circumstances, if you follow the above instructions, I can almost guarantee you a weed free yard with what you have on hand. The POA will evaporate as soon as the heat kicks in. Don't worry about it for now. Keep your cash AND get rid of the weeds. How's that for free advice? :lol:

Topic Author
Helv2040

Post by Helv2040 »

Thanks everyone and mister bill. This is a big help with my yard.

Topic Author
Helv2040

Post by Helv2040 »

Also what do you mean by hot mix and a sticker?

Redtwin
TLF Supporter

Post by Redtwin »

Sticker is another term for surfactant which is something to break the water tension so the product "sticks" to the leaf better. It's especially useful for weeds that have fuzzy leafs or waxy coatings. It makes it spread out on the surface. Some will use baby shampoo or dawn dish soap but I find that it foams up too much for me. It's best to buy an actual surfactant in my opinion.

I think by hot mix he meant at the high rate on the label.

Mister Bill
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1000 sq. ft.
Mower: McLane 20/Tru-Cut 20/Honda HRR

Post by Mister Bill »

Helv2040 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:56 pm
Also what do you mean by hot mix and a sticker?
As always, Redtwin nailed it. Here's a more in-depth explanation if you are interested.
https://www.solutionsstores.com/surfact ... herbicides

https://www.domyown.com/hiyield-spreade ... b_id=19626

As pointed out, you can use a tablespoon of household dish detergent to 1 gallon of herbicide if you do not have surfactant in the budget or when none is at hand. It will work much the same, however, as mentioned, it does tend to foam (suds up) when mixing, so you will need to stir gently and add water slowly when mixing with the soap.

I would like to also add to be sure and use a fan nozzle on your sprayer. Mist, not drench. I've given the above recipe in passing to others over the years and some would call a few days later angry because their yard was crispy brown or severely streaked. Upon inspection, they sprayed the entire yard with a stream nozzle. Details, it's all in the details. :lol:

Topic Author
Helv2040

Post by Helv2040 »

Thanks for the details.

kb02gt
Grass Type: St. Augustine (Floratam)
Lawn Size: 5700 sq ft
Mower: 21" Ego Self Propelled

Post by kb02gt »

In photo #6, the index finger on your left hand is resting on top of a st. augustine grass blade. You can tell by how it tapers near the top in combination with the rounded tip. It is possible that at one point this lawn was all st. aug, but was evenutally invaded by bermuda, however the opposite is also possible. I say this mainly because the weed killer you have their will kill st. augustine grass (due to the quinclorac in it). But if your keeping the bermuda which honestly would be easier and cheaper then that is a product you can use.

Hmmmmm. Honestly i'm not big on spraying weeds without some kind of pre-emergent down. It is going to be one really long year and you will end up spending more money in the long run. Its not too late. You can find Dithiopyr in Lowes at $15 dollars a bag i believe (actually $14, just looked it up). Or you may have to order it online. The 10 pound bag ($15) only covers 5000 sq ft. You can find it under "Sta-Green 10-lb Pre-Emergent Crabgrass Control". I had better order some now that i am posting this here, lol. So the thing is that Dithiopyr has some post-emergence effect as well. You can get granular prodiamine (another type of pre-emergent) on amazon for around $30.

So which is better. Well in your specific case i would say Dithiopyr. Mainly because it covers more different types of weeds it also handles better in the rain and sun. Also the suns rays do not degrade this as much as it would prodiamine. What degrades Dithiopyr more is excessive heat and water. Is this area under a tree, etc? Most likely you will have to make multiple applications with this throughout the year. Because although Dithiopyr handles more types of weeds, it does not last as long as prodiamine. Usually spring and fall. Most people tend to use DIthiopyr in the fall due to their being less heat and rain.

Pre-emergent = stops weeds from sprouting.
Post-emergent = kill weeds that have already sprouted.
Some pre-emergents and post emergents may have a little of both, but are usually much stronger in what they were intended for.

I'm going to assume your budget is around $50.

A couple of products that look really interesting to me are:

1) "Sta-Green 10-lb Pre-Emergent Crabgrass Control (approx $15 for 5000 sq ft granular)

2) Bio Advanced Season Long Weed Control For Lawns (approx. $15 for 9000 sq ft hose-end sprayer) (contains a pre-emegrent called Gallery [aka Isoxaben] along with 2,4-d and mecoprop)

3) Bio Advanced 3 in 1 Weed & Feed for Southern Lawns (contains a pre-emergent called Specticle [aka Indazaflam] along with Dicamba and 2,4-D) (appox. $30 for 5000 sq ft granular)

#2 is your cheapest option, and best option if you do not have a spreader.

#1 combined with the product you already have is your best overall option in my opinion mainly because of the Quinclorac which acts to suppress torpedo, but will need about 3 - 4 applications to get rid of it. Outside of wanted grasses (such as bermuda) , torpedo is one of the most difficult to get rid of.

#3 is a good option i think for once you get things more under control.

Hope this helps.
Rather watch grass grow than paint dry

Topic Author
Helv2040

Post by Helv2040 »

Thanks for the info. I should have clarified a little more. I did put down some prodiamine in February (does that change anything?). Sorry for not putting that earlier. I will keep you guys in the loop on how things are coming.

kb02gt
Grass Type: St. Augustine (Floratam)
Lawn Size: 5700 sq ft
Mower: 21" Ego Self Propelled

Post by kb02gt »

Helv2040 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:06 pm
Thanks for the info. I should have clarified a little more. I did put down some prodiamine in February (does that change anything?). Sorry for not putting that earlier. I will keep you guys in the loop on how things are coming.
No doesn't really change much. I'd say if you have a lot of prodiamine left over. Maybe save some of it for the Fall. Prodiamine does have some known resistance to it as it is used quite often. I'd be more concerned with covering a broader spectrum of weeds. Even if that means making 2 more applications this spring. You could actually make a dithiopyr application now and another 60 days later in early June. Followed by something completely different in September preferably as long as the Dithiopyr Barrier holds up. Really looking for that post-emergent effect from it. That along with the product you have containing quinclorac should be good.

Also you will want to make sure your yard is measured in terms of square footage. Any product rated for 5000 sq ft will not cover 10sq ft very well.
Rather watch grass grow than paint dry