Starting a new project so needs some advice, also first time poster!

Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
Krs1
Grass Type: Unknown
Lawn Size: 500
Mower: None

Starting a new project so needs some advice, also first time poster!

Post by Krs1 »

Hello everyone this is my first time posting and brand new to the forum. So in a nutshell we sold our home and moved To our dream home 2 blocks from the beach in north San Diego county. Our prior house I had a beautiful tiff green hybrid Bermuda that I had over seeded with perennial rye because there was a large Jacaranda tree in the middle of the lawn. I had a greens master 1000, and by the time we moved out I had to almost where I wanted it to be.

I live in a townhome that has a medium to small patio, backyard that is south facing (SSW facing between 170-220). Its surrounded by a 3’ retaining wall and a 5’ clear glass pane on top of it. The unique thing I have noticed is that the patio stays very warm because of that even on cold days like today that’s a high of 65 the patio stays between the high 70’s and low 80’s and I know a warm season grass will go off due to this green house effect.

So my tentative plan:
•remove all the concrete and trees in the pics ( don’t worry the large cactus will stay)
•get a soil test of what’s underneath the concrete and amend as needed
•start plumbing the sprinkler system, test and adjust
•lay sod and care for it like my baby!

Here are a few pics of what I had and what I’m working with. All done via iPhone so bare with me. The first is the old house and the remaining are the current. The first photo the patio is 8’ wide and 22’ long and gets full sun all day. everything within the limits of the green shading will be grass in all photos, the second pic is basically a 90 degree turn towards the back patio which is 6.6 wide and 10’ long. the last pics is where the wife gets half and I get the other, she needs a garden. The area door grass is about 15’x20’ and gets full sun from 10:30 till sundown.

I have visited several turf farms and put my feet on all the different types of grasses but I cannot choose one. I know it will be a Bermuda grass but I cannot figure out which one I want for the life of me. Can somebody help me make a decision and maybe a reason why, or point me in the right direction. We do get a lot of overcast days, but the moment the sun comes out my entire patio/yard heats up fast. Thanks for listening hope it’s not to long winded but wanted to be clear. Any other info just ask!!!

Last edited by Krs1 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Krs1

Re: Starting a new project so needs some advice, also first time poster!

Post by Krs1 »

Topic Author
Krs1

Post by Krs1 »

Same images without the scribble

FlowRider
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: ~17000 sq. ft.
Mower: John Deere X350 and Honda HRX

Post by FlowRider »

If that was my yard, I would keep the concrete, build the bride a raised planter garden, buy myself a tiki bar, hammock, and large smoker grill, and call it a day.

If you must have a lawn to have a hobby yard and garden, I would use Tifway 419 Bermuda. Mow it low with a reel mower. Buy a nice putter and make your own putt-putt course. Tifway 419 is what golf course putting greens are usually made from....

I used to live in San Diego. Paradise. Especially with a convertible sports car and a motorcycle, a bride and a big dog. To the beach!

I would move back there in one second. Any day, any time. Loved it!
I can grow weeds with the best of them...! :bd:

Topic Author
Krs1

Post by Krs1 »

Thanks for the reply @FlowRider , we have considered going that route even with the grass! I do love to care for a lawn also, I used to golf a lot so that actually sounds really fun!

Topic Author
Krs1

Post by Krs1 »

Is there a link anywhere that has all the diff Bermudagrass anywhere and info about them? Also if you guys have small yards with cool stuff I’d love to see pics

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin »

I'd look at what is available at your nearest sod farm. Sometimes their websites will have side-by-side photos but nothing beats going in person to see what they look like.

Topic Author
Krs1

Post by Krs1 »

@Redtwin thanks for looking and the reply! I have been to west coast turf and American sod farm. I’ve gotten my hands, feet and eyes on a few different types and still can’t make up my mind. One has med texture but beautiful color and the next is the perfect feel but colors a little browner than the next. I understand they are example plots and prob are not cared for as they should be but man is it hard to make a decision for my forever yard!!! The three top seeds as of now are tif tuff, bandera or the platinum TE. Honestly I’m starting to forget which is which I have been looking at so many pics and web pages. If you throw me a suggestion please give me a reason just so I can help wrap my head around this! Also random question is there anything preventative I can put sown for gophers?

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin »

I can't suggest any seeds. My decision was easy since at the time the only Bermuda sod option for me was Tifway 419. Another local sod company has since started selling Tifftuff. I have a friend a few blocks away who sodded his yard in TiffTuff. I personally like the 419 better but in his defense, it just got sodded late last season so he is still getting it established. From everything I have read, TiffTuff handles shade better and will need way less water than other cultivars.
You can Google something like TifTuff vs. Tifway 419 and it should give you some comparison.

I personally don't recommend seeding just because it is so dang hard and high risk, but there are some on this forum who have beautiful seeded yards and made it look easy.

Gilley11
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: 2k zoy, 1.5k rye
Mower: JD LA120, Gardena 380Li

Post by Gilley11 »

For only 500sq ft, I wouldn't even consider seed. Sod 100%.

Have you considered Zoysia? Slower growing for less maintenance, softer on the feet.
Mesotrione-Tenacity split: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17036
Leveling drag: viewtopic.php?p=248651#p248651
Levelling rake: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14949

Topic Author
Krs1

Post by Krs1 »

Thank you everyone for your reply’s! Sorry for the misunderstanding but I am going to sod 100% no doubt in my mind! I have considered zoysia and also kikuyu grass. There’s a gentleman that lives in my neighborhood and his lawn is on point. I have drooled over his lawn for years and finally caught him outside to chat. The lawn is 35 years old and he states that it looked this way since day one. Only problem is I have not found any sod farms that sell either zoysia or kikuyu. So out of these two which is the superior? Also here’s a few pics of his lawn

Topic Author
Krs1

Post by Krs1 »

Is there anyone that has experience with kikuyu in costal southern CA? His grass has a very firm carpet like feel with a HOC 1”. I drive by this lawn every day and it looks like this year you do.