Topic Author
LAlawnnut
Grass Type: Unknown
Lawn Size: 8000
Mower: Honda Rotary

Soggy Clay Yard

Post by LAlawnnut »

Hey guys,

My yard has been soggy since about September of last year. When I step on it I sunk in and water pushes up around my feet. There is standing water in a lot of places as well this whole time. I’ve had a soil test done and it is a very high clay content. I was wondering if there were any tips y’all could give me to help this so it will dry out.

I was thinking about running French drains in the areas that Always have standing water to help alleviate that. In the center of the yard where it doesn’t have standing water but is boggy I was thinking of doing a 3-4 pass code aeration and taking away the cores. If I do this, what do you recommend I backfill with? I’ve heard compost, but I’ve also heard sand. On the flip side I’ve hear sand isn’t good in clay. How would I calculate how much dirt I need to bring in to fill the aeration holes?

Centipede grass is unfortunately what I have, if that makes a difference.

Do you guys think this would fix my problem, or is there something else that I should be considering?

Ptb427
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: 3k
Mower: Rotary

Re: Soggy Clay Yard

Post by Ptb427 »

I’ve got the same problem, also with clay, and plan on finally tackling it this year. I’ve got a downspout pop up in the middle of the area which doesn’t help.

I have considered trenching and moving the pop up to a more sloped spot to remove some water. I’ve also considered aerating, removing the cores, then filling/leveling with sand.

I ordered lawnstar liquid aerator and have applied it a couple of times over the last month or so. I may be optimistic but it seems like it is reducing how soggy the soil gets. I’ve since ordered some air-8 and plan on using that also.

I figured I would work my way from easiest to hardest method so I will continue the liquid stuff and reevaluate in a month or so when the grass is growing and I am getting ready to level with sand. At that point I may also aerate and fill with the sand. If it still seems to be a problem later in the summer I will consider moving the pop up.

I was a little skeptical about the liquid products but that may do the trick. Hope this helps.

Buster
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1.5 Acres
Mower: Ariens Zero Turn 52” XD

Post by Buster »

Are you able to grade or slope your yard? Might be worth it to attempt in some areas where it’s bad, and then start over with sod.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned sand in clay possibly being bad. Why do you say that? We have lots of clay here in N TX and golf courses often put down some sand to fill low spots and such. But I guess it could just wash away if you’re not careful.

Good luck.
~ Buster

Topic Author
LAlawnnut

Post by LAlawnnut »

Ptb427 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:23 pm
I’ve got the same problem, also with clay, and plan on finally tackling it this year. I’ve got a downspout pop up in the middle of the area which doesn’t help.

I have considered trenching and moving the pop up to a more sloped spot to remove some water. I’ve also considered aerating, removing the cores, then filling/leveling with sand.

I ordered lawnstar liquid aerator and have applied it a couple of times over the last month or so. I may be optimistic but it seems like it is reducing how soggy the soil gets. I’ve since ordered some air-8 and plan on using that also.

I figured I would work my way from easiest to hardest method so I will continue the liquid stuff and reevaluate in a month or so when the grass is growing and I am getting ready to level with sand. At that point I may also aerate and fill with the sand. If it still seems to be a problem later in the summer I will consider moving the pop up.

I was a little skeptical about the liquid products but that may do the trick. Hope this helps.

I haven’t found a ton on liquid aeration in clay but I planned on trying it as well once it started to dry up some. I think the soil is absorbing the water it just doesn’t have anywhere to go. I am thinking about trying it with the other NEXT products to see if I can get the roots to drive deeper and see if that helps as well.

Topic Author
LAlawnnut

Post by LAlawnnut »

Buster wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:28 pm
Are you able to grade or slope your yard? Might be worth it to attempt in some areas where it’s bad, and then start over with sod.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned sand in clay possibly being bad. Why do you say that? We have lots of clay here in N TX and golf courses often put down some sand to fill low spots and such. But I guess it could just wash away if you’re not careful.

Good luck.
I don’t really have anyplace to slope it to except towards the house, otherwise it’d be going to my neighbors.

Some people say that clay and sand is a bad mix when it comes to filling in aeration holes, but some say it doesn’t matter. I figured the compost would be good for extra organic matter as well

Buster
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1.5 Acres
Mower: Ariens Zero Turn 52” XD

Post by Buster »

Okay, I understand what you’re saying on the sand. I was concerned you’d do a total top dressing of sand as that might not be the best remedy for your situation. I’m guessing some grading and French drains might be your best bet for long term success. Although I know that’s difficult.
~ Buster