Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
jdbst21
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5k
Mower: Toro Recycler

Pre-emergent on Sod Question

Post by jdbst21 »

I had new bermuda put down in mid January. I live in northern Alabama, and was wondering if I could put a pre-emergent down like Halts. I know ideally it should have went down mid March, but I am concerned because the sod is so new -- and been dormant. It is rooted in most places and starting to green (though there is a lot of POA coming up in it).

Buster
Lawn Size: 1.5 Acres
Mower: Ariens Zero Turn 52” XD

Re: Pre-emergent on Sod Question

Post by Buster »

Can you get the specs sheet on Halts? What’s it say? A few of the PEs I use have cautions about putting them down during spring green up. You could also test a zone and see what happens, if you don’t mind waiting to apply on the other zones. I’ve had good results with Dithiopyr so far on my Bermuda during green up... but it’s also an established lawn.

Good luck
~ Buster

Topic Author
jdbst21

Post by jdbst21 »

My concern is less about halts. I could use Dithiopyr or Prodiamine as well. Halts is Pendimentalin (which I think is in the same family of pre emergent as both Dithiopyr and Prodiamine). I just used Halts name because it is so common with DIY at big box stores. Most bags say at least 3-4 months after sodding.

My concern is more about it has just been 3 months but it was dormant for a good part of that. I am worried about roots not taken off enough. ---- Thick turf with weeds is always a better starting place than a thin yard with few weeds. At least that has been my experience when I use to work on cool season lawns in the north.

Mister Bill
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1000 sq. ft.
Mower: McLane 20/Tru-Cut 20/Honda HRR

Post by Mister Bill »

Pre-m bonds to the soil at the top 1/4"-1/2" depth to form the barrier. I would want to make certain the turf roots are established and well below that depth before using any pre-emergent of any kind. A few core samples will give you an idea of where the turf roots currently are.

It takes pre-m a couple weeks to form an effective barrier. The POA you have coming in now will most likely not be slowed by any pre-m apps at this late date, however, the POA will die off when the heat kicks in. Therefore, I would vote to let the Bermuda grow some deep solid roots and then deal with whatever weeds you have at that time with a post treatment. Pre-m in early fall.

Movingshrub
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13,000 SQFT
Mower: Honda Rotary & JD 220A Reel

Post by Movingshrub »

Oxadiazon.

Mister Bill
TLF Supporter

Post by Mister Bill »

Movingshrub wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:45 pm
Oxadiazon.
Isn't that a RUP and not labeled for residential lawns? Not that I am against going off label, but in full disclosure, is a homeowner going to have access to it? Or do you know a guy who knows a guy? :lol:

Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub »

Mister Bill wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:19 pm
Movingshrub wrote:
Oxadiazon.
Isn't that a RUP and not labeled for residential lawns? Not that I am against going off label, but in full disclosure, is a homeowner going to have access to it? Or do you know a guy who knows a guy? :lol:
Half credit is awarded.

It’s not RUP, however, it’s not labeled for residential turf. However, the sod farm could have applied it before it was cut and installed in his lawn.

There’s no real way to tell now is there. ;)

So yes, it would be off label usage.

Topic Author
jdbst21

Post by jdbst21 »

Thanks all!
I think I will just skip the pre-emergent this Spring and wait for fall to be sure.

FATC1TY
Lawn Size: 5100
Mower: GM1600

Post by FATC1TY »

You can buy oxadiazon online pretty darn easy.

I have some and used it in the past and it’s fantastic for those fighting against goosegrass. Pretty much fixed my issues in past years.

Mister Bill
TLF Supporter

Post by Mister Bill »

Movingshrub wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:45 pm
Mister Bill wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:19 pm
Movingshrub wrote:
Oxadiazon.
Half credit is awarded.

It’s not RUP, however, it’s not labeled for residential turf. However, the sod farm could have applied it before it was cut and installed in his lawn.

There’s no real way to tell now is there. ;)

So yes, it would be off label usage.
Half credit? :lol: Geez, tough crowd here. I wasn't aware I was being graded. :lol:

I was thinking Ronstar when I first saw your reply. I just Googled and see it is restricted use and need a license to purchase. Is needing a license to purchase not RUP? I thought it was. :?

Don't get me wrong, it is indeed a perfect solution to the OP's question, I was under the impression it was not an actual option, and truthfully, didn't even think of it when I replied. That's why you smarter folks are here, to keep us dummies in check. :thumbup:
Last edited by Mister Bill on Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mister Bill
TLF Supporter

Post by Mister Bill »

FATC1TY wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:36 pm

I have some and used it in the past and it’s fantastic for those fighting against goosegrass. Pretty much fixed my issues in past years.
Link where unlicensed end users can purchase legally? :?

FATC1TY

Post by FATC1TY »

Mister Bill wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:48 pm
FATC1TY wrote:

Just search for Ronstar G if you want something hint you can spread with a spreader. Crazy fine prill size, smells super strong but water it in gently right after and you’ll be well on your way some serious pre m if you have some new turf or some significant pressure from goosegrass.

I used some last year bordering my neighbors who have some quite intense weeds. It’s extremely noticeable, even considering some of it washed away because of slope and insane rain.

Mister Bill
TLF Supporter

Post by Mister Bill »

jdbst21 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:05 pm
Thanks all!
I think I will just skip the pre-emergent this Spring and wait for fall to be sure.
Hey, where's the fun it that? :lol:

In all seriousness, that is what I would do on new sod. But, others here see it differently. And that, my friend, is what makes this big rock we are riding on an enjoyable trip. :thumbup:

Mister Bill
TLF Supporter

Post by Mister Bill »

FATC1TY wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:52 pm
Mister Bill wrote:
FATC1TY wrote:

Just search for Ronstar G if you want something hint you can spread with a spreader. Crazy fine prill size, smells super strong but water it in gently right after and you’ll be well on your way some serious pre m if you have some new turf or some significant pressure from goosegrass.

I used some last year bordering my neighbors who have some quite intense weeds. It’s extremely noticeable, even considering some of it washed away because of slope and insane rain.
By golly, it appears you can buy the G version. I did not know that, so I stand corrected. Thank you for the heads up.

It's still off label, but I won't tell anyone if you don't. But, at $140ish for a 50 lb. bag, I would still probably opt to treat post. Ouch! But it is an option. Well done, Sir.

FATC1TY

Post by FATC1TY »

Mister Bill wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:15 pm
FATC1TY wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:52 pm
Mister Bill wrote:

By golly, it appears you can buy the G version. I did not know that, so I stand corrected. Thank you for the heads up.

It's still off label, but I won't tell anyone if you don't. But, at $140ish for a 50 lb. bag, I would still probably opt to treat post. Ouch! But it is an option. Well done, Sir.

If you have a bit of goosegrass to treat, it pays for itself. I was only able to nuke goosegrass and the surrounding turf severely damaged with celcius and dismiss tank mixed with a surfactant ( a no no with dismiss ). Even then you are chasing it!

That $140 was nearly two years ( 4 applications )of Pre M however. Not cheap but quite reasonable for drastic measures.

jayhawk
Grass Type: zoysia; tifgrand beauty strip
Lawn Size: Yuuuge 2500
Mower: TruCut

Post by jayhawk »

RegalStar G .....if you call and ask them, perhaps direct you to some locally. I paid ~50$ for a bag

Southern Lawn
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: 6000 sq ft
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Southern Lawn »

I put down Zeon in November, had the exact same question. Went with Prodiamine, and almost put it down. The first couple of lines on the far right side of the label said " Do not apply to newly set sod until the following year."

I just skipped the pre-em this year. I just walk the yard every couple of days and pick the weeds out....no that bad.

For whats its worth, I spoke to the sod company about pre-em, and he recommended Ronstar. Supposedly attacks the plants at the shoots, and not the roots.

Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub »

Ronstar is great for sprigging. None of the prodiamine or regal star.

@Mister Bill the RUP herbicides have a banner on the label indicating their RUP status; two examples below.

Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub »

Oh yeah, and it smells like mothballs. Water in IMMEDIATELY if applied to existing turf.

FATC1TY

Post by FATC1TY »

Movingshrub wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:59 pm
Oh yeah, and it smells like mothballs. Water in IMMEDIATELY if applied to existing turf.
Agree. It has quite the odor. Not awful but not something you want to smell for days. Water it in immediately.