Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
Jason229
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5000
Mower: Riding Troy bilt pony

Back Yard Bermuda Help

Post by Jason229 »

This is currently my back yard. I’m looking to seed Monaco grass seed in late April or early May. Any helpful tips will be appreciate

Chocolate Lab
Grass Type: Monaco bermuda
Lawn Size: 8k sf
Mower: Cal Trimmer 20, McLane 17ph7

Re: Back Yard Bermuda Help

Post by Chocolate Lab »

I would read as many reno journals as you can on here, but I'd start with a soil test. Why isn't anything growing there right now? Did you already kill everything? Do you have enough sunlight there? I'm not sure why the soil is bare like that... Could it have been contaminated somehow or is there something I'm missing...

Buster
Lawn Size: 1.5 Acres
Mower: Ariens Zero Turn 52” XD

Post by Buster »

@Chocolate Lab is right. What happened there? What’s the soil and sunlight situation? Are you just going to sprinkle down seed? What’s the plan? :thumbup:
~ Buster

Topic Author
Jason229
Lawn Size: 5000
Mower: Riding Troy bilt pony

Post by Jason229 »

We brought this house brand new in November. The back yard was never seeded. I work in retail so I never got around to doing anything with it. There was nothing but dove weed in the back yard. My guess is due to the neglect it just spreader like wild fire. I put down some pre emergent when I first moed in, but that’s about it. I may have put it down to late. So I just scalped the rest. I have two dogs, so I’m going with the Monaco Bermuda grass seed. I plan to do a soil test & apply some Humic acid(liquid) this week. My goal is to seed later this month or early May. Depending on what the soil test says, will apply a 10-10-10 fert & milo every 4-6 weeks. I live is South East Ga, which is nothing but swamp land. How’s that sound?

Buster
Lawn Size: 1.5 Acres
Mower: Ariens Zero Turn 52” XD

Post by Buster »

I’m no expert in starting from scratch, but that sounds like a good plan. Double check the PreEm you put down, hopefully it’s all gone by now or you may have trouble starting seeds.

Keep us posted.
~ Buster