Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
Alex_18
Grass Type: Arden 15
Lawn Size: 8,000 sqft
Mower: McLane 25" 10 Blade

2k SQFT plug job?

Post by Alex_18 »

Has anyone here ever done a plug job of this size or saw one be successful? I have a St Aug back yard that is about 2k sqft and it is weak. Got hit hard with large patch late last year and its taken ahold again this year. Plus i already have a lot of common Bermuda coming up in it

Also ive been managing a neutral ground olin our subdivision for the past year where i spray my leftover herbicides, pre m, bio stims, etc. basically anything that i have left over when im done in my yard goes down on it. Needless to say, its become a pretty nice patch of common Bermuda so i have a source for nice, healthy plugs which if i did the math right, ill need a little over 1,100 plugs to do my entire back yard.

Just curious if this would be easy enough to tackle. Any other suggestions on how to get the Bermuda in the back yard to take over the st aug quickly?

Swampfox
Grass Type: TifTuf
Lawn Size: 3500 sqft
Mower: John Deere 260B

Re: 2k SQFT plug job?

Post by Swampfox »

I covered 3500 sq ft last year with Tif Tuff plugs. Started with 100sq ft of Tif Tuff sod in May and had full coverage by October. Pushed it with a lot of water and weekly feedings of 46-0-0. I am located in Eastern NC. Not sure about the sequence of my pics but you get the idea. Nuked my Centipede yard and put plugs right into dead centipede. You can see the 100sq ft of mother sod in the pics.

southernbuckeye
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 10 acres
Mower: John Deere

Post by southernbuckeye »

Very nice! Curious what your mowing strategy is after putting down new plugs. Same as normal sod?

Gilley11
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: 2k zoy, 1.5k rye
Mower: JD LA120, Gardena 380Li

Post by Gilley11 »

When they're ready I'll be picking up about 1k plugs from @A to Zoysia to spread throughout my 2k sq ft front. Hoping to have it filled in pretty well by the end of next season.
Mesotrione-Tenacity split: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17036
Leveling drag: viewtopic.php?p=248651#p248651
Levelling rake: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14949

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Redtwin »

@Swampfox :o

That's incredible! That really has me thinking of nuking my SA/Centipede mix in my front yard and plugging away. I'm so sick of it being so susceptible to disease/insects/weeds when compared to Bermuda. I've hemmed and hawed about doing it for a few seasons but just can't imagine reel mowing and additional 8K sf. I guess PGR would be a must.

Swampfox

Post by Swampfox »

Southern Buckeye,
I used a string trimmer and gave the plugs a haircut as needed to force lateral growth. Takes about a month or so for the plugs to get established. Once things were growing well, I used my push mower at the lowest setting and mowed as needed.

Topic Author
Alex_18
Grass Type: Arden 15
Lawn Size: 8,000 sqft
Mower: McLane 25" 10 Blade

Post by Alex_18 »

Redtwin wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:27 am
@Swampfox :o

That's incredible! That really has me thinking of nuking my SA/Centipede mix in my front yard and plugging away. I'm so sick of it being so susceptible to disease/insects/weeds when compared to Bermuda. I've hemmed and hawed about doing it for a few seasons but just can't imagine reel mowing and additional 8K sf. I guess PGR would be a must.
Same here @Redtwin. Im just tired of having to worry about the SA. Ive been putting it off for a while now too. After a full reno on the front yard last year the last thing i wanted to do was a full reno on the back. But i guess ill just bite the bullet and roll with it

southernbuckeye
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 10 acres
Mower: John Deere

Post by southernbuckeye »

Swampfox wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:48 am
Southern Buckeye,
I used a string trimmer and gave the plugs a haircut as needed to force lateral growth. Takes about a month or so for the plugs to get established. Once things were growing well, I used my push mower at the lowest setting and mowed as needed.
Awesome, thinking of doing this myself. We did about 8000 sq ft of tiff tuff last season and I’d like to use some of it to get other parts of the yard converted from fescue.

How low do you go to force the lateral growth? 1/2”-1”?

Swampfox

Post by Swampfox »

With my push mower low as I could go was about an inch. With the string trimmer I would trim the main plug down to the dirt almost. This would cause a massive amount of runners. A few more pics.

ENC_Lawn
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Princess 77 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 14,000
Mower: California Trimmer

Post by ENC_Lawn »

@Swampfox Very Impressive!

That's pretty cool you did that with 100 square feet of TifTfuf!

Awesome Job!

lucas287
Grass Type: Tifsport & Celebration
Lawn Size: 3500 sq ft
Mower: California Trimmer RL20

Post by lucas287 »

Alex_18 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:00 pm
Has anyone here ever done a plug job of this size or saw one be successful? I have a St Aug back yard that is about 2k sqft and it is weak. Got hit hard with large patch late last year and its taken ahold again this year. Plus i already have a lot of common Bermuda coming up in it

Also ive been managing a neutral ground olin our subdivision for the past year where i spray my leftover herbicides, pre m, bio stims, etc. basically anything that i have left over when im done in my yard goes down on it. Needless to say, its become a pretty nice patch of common Bermuda so i have a source for nice, healthy plugs which if i did the math right, ill need a little over 1,100 plugs to do my entire back yard.

Just curious if this would be easy enough to tackle. Any other suggestions on how to get the Bermuda in the back yard to take over the st aug quickly?
Sprig it? @Movingshrub has a great thread about his sprigging/stolonizing success. Not as easy as plugs for it requires a very diligent watering schedule but it fills in much quicker and doesn't leave a lot of leveling to be done. It's pretty much how every golf course does it. Their roughs, fairways, and even greens are all sprigged.

I'm currently experimenting with it myself as I did a reno on a flowerbed making it smaller leaving a big gap for the grass to fill in.

Movingshrub
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13,000 SQFT
Mower: Honda Rotary & JD 220A Reel

Post by Movingshrub »

To OP, I'm happy to discuss broadcast stolonizing/sprigging with anyone. I've done three different iterations. It's significantly cheaper than sod, you don't have to deal with the seams of sod, it self levels as it grows in, and you don't have to physically install the sod. The downside is, you gotta stay on top of the water for about three or four weeks and it takes about eight weeks to have a full lawn.

Bermuda_Newbie
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Celebration
Lawn Size: 5500 sq ft
Mower: Swardman Electra 18"

Post by Bermuda_Newbie »

Has anyone on here done a large sprigging experiment? I just had 2500sq of sod laid but I have another 3500 sq ft of bare dirt and I go back and forth on whether to plug or sprig with my existing sod.

Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub »

Bermuda_Newbie wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:00 pm
Has anyone on here done a large sprigging experiment? I just had 2500sq of sod laid but I have another 3500 sq ft of bare dirt and I go back and forth on whether to plug or sprig with my existing sod.
See the post two posts above yours.

Bermuda_Newbie
TLF Supporter

Post by Bermuda_Newbie »

@Movingshrub in your opinion, is one easier than another? What are the pros and cons of the sprigging vs plugging. I see that you compare it to sod but I'm curious about them compared to each other. I have a verticutter which I can harvest sprigs with and a pro plugger. My only hesitation when it comes to sprigging is that I'd need to get some sand delivered to put on top of the sprigs whereas the pro plugger would require sand eventually. I'm interested in whatever fills in the fastest.

Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub »

My opinion is that sprigging is faster with less work. @HungrySoutherner helped me by using his verticutter to harvest sprigs from my existing stand of bermuda, which I then transplanted to a different part of my lawn. I grew in 4k sqft. You don't have to use sand. You can opt for nothing at all for top dressing and roll it in with a sod roller or make shift cultipacker. Also, you could use compost in lieu of sand. It doesn't take much; 1/4th or an 1/8th of an inch. The downside is spreading it by hand without any kind of top dressing machine. The easiest way would be to spread the sprigs and then use a sod roller. However, using a cultipacker and/or topdressing significantly helps with promoting good soil to sprig contact.

Plugs just feel like SO much work to me. I recall doing the math to plug a 300 sqft area where I was going to need 170 plugs. That just didn't sound appealing.

This guys did a 300sqft area with plugs if you want to compare.
viewtopic.php?p=248903#p248903

Bermuda_Newbie
TLF Supporter

Post by Bermuda_Newbie »

So you think my roller on the back of my swardman would work for a makeshift sod roller?

Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub »

Bermuda_Newbie wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:31 pm
So you think my roller on the back of my swardman would work for a makeshift sod roller?
I'm not familiar with the weight of the swardman, but I don't see why not. The objective is good sprig to soil contact.

erdons
Grass Type: Tifsport & Tifgreen
Lawn Size: 1800 Sq ft
Mower: McLane Reel Mower

Post by erdons »

Bermuda_Newbie wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:31 pm
I recommend sprigging over plugging, much easier work. You can use your roller, that should work, I took a 4x4 piece of plywood and just stamped all the sprigs section by section then lightly top dressed with compost only so it could hold moisture.

DuncanMcDonuts
Grass Type: Tifway 419/TifTuf
Lawn Size: 3500
Mower: Baroness LM56

Post by DuncanMcDonuts »

Reading this thread has me reconsidering my current renovation project. I've spread 8 yards of chocolate loam over existing 1000 sq ft of Tifway 419 to regrade with another 4 yards put on hold due to rain. I was going to plug from other parts of my yard, but I'm thinking I'll lay sprigs and cover it with the rest of my chocolate loam, then roll over it with my greensmower.

I called my local Tiftuf supplier and they don't carry sprigs, but they do sell by the piece. I figure I could break up the pieces into sprigs after watering off the dirt. It's a bit more work and more expensive, but I'm not sure where else to get sprigs in my area.