Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
daganh62
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 5000 Front/7500 Back
Mower: Cub Cadet XT1

Let's talk about spring green up

Post by daganh62 »

Im curious does anyone know if cutting low the previous season contributes to a much quicker green up. My neighborhood is predominantly Bermuda tif 419 to be exact. The one guy who cuts with a reel has been completely green for two weeks. The rest of the neighborhood is still not greener up and the one guy who cuts at 3 inches (it's actually one of the best lawns in the neighborhood) is the slowest to green up. What are everyone's thoughts and experiences? Also is there anything I can do to speed up green up besides water and basic fertilizer?

FATC1TY
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5100
Mower: GM1600

Re: Let's talk about spring green up

Post by FATC1TY »

Cutting short allows the ground to warm in the sun quicker. Thus, the turf responds quicker to green up.

Dangerlawn
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda - La Prima
Lawn Size: 6,000 sq ft
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Post by Dangerlawn »

I’m not sure how previous season hoc matters, but I do know Bermuda variety and current soil temperature are extremely big factors. If I scalp the lawn to bare dirt it greens up faster because the soil warms up easier. Also my hybrid variety (celebration most likely) greens up faster than my la Prima XD seeded area.

I maintained my neighbors lawn at about 3 inches last season and my own at 1 inch. We both have the same type of grass. This spring I scalped my own lawn to 0.2 inches and scalped the neighbors to about 3/4 inch. In both cases I bagged up as much clippings as I could.. and is both cases the lawns greener up faster than any others around the neighborhood that didn’t scalp. Mine looks a little better than the neighbor, but I think the edge comes more from the current hoc versus the hoc last season.

In my backyard, the la Prima XD still hasn’t fully greened up yet even though I did the same scalp as the front yard. The variety of Bermuda appears to be the difference. I know this because part of the back is the same variety as the front and it’s fully green.

I’m watering but I haven’t put any fert out yet this year. It’s typically recommended to hold off on fert until your chances of freezing cold weather are completely gone. In my area this happens around May, so even though I’m green now I’m not doing any fert yet. By May even my backyard and the neighbors that didn’t scalp should be mostly green. That’s how I know when it’s go time for fert.

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 20K sf

Post by Redtwin »

I started mowing low last season. I ended the season at .5" and the Tifway 419 really never went full dormant. I scalped in late February this year... WAY earlier than most around me. This was a particularly mild winter but we did have some frost and it never really dinged it. I'm going to try it again next winter to see if there is something to keeping it low in the winters. As far as spring green-up, definitely exposing the soil to sunlight warmth is critical.

Buster
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1.5 Acres
Mower: Ariens Zero Turn 52” XD

Post by Buster »

A lot of green up depends on how low you scalped and removed the old brown grass. If you scalped low, you’ll see green sooner as opposed to a higher scalp which requires the green to grow more before you can “see” it.
Getting warmth into the soil is part of it too...as mentioned above.
~ Buster

cutigers08
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 6500 sq ft
Mower: McLane 20" 7 blade Reel

Post by cutigers08 »

This is my first spring in this house with 419 but I got it down to around an inch last season and scalped to a 1/4" this year. I am cutting at 5/8". I am weeks ahead of the other bermuda lawns in the neighborhood. A few guys have even stopped by and asked what I'm doing to get it this way. The back is not nearly as far along due to shade.
March 14th
April 4th

Redtwin
TLF Supporter

Post by Redtwin »

^^^^THIS IS A SCALP^^^^

Only scalping to 3/4" will slow the green up. That's more of a HOC reset. I feel that a true spring scalp should be to the dirt. Bermuda is a completely different grass once it gets below an 3/4". I understand that everyone has different conditions, weather, and soil types, so it is not always possible to go that low. I have just seen way better results by going to dirt. I scalp to .25" like @cutigers08 and @Dangerlawn but it ends up hitting dirt in the high spots so that is as low as I could get... until the next level.

You'll have to listen to your wife (or neighbor) complain about you killing the yard for a couple of weeks but it will turn out better in the end and you will be the hero.

Topic Author
daganh62
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 5000 Front/7500 Back
Mower: Cub Cadet XT1

Post by daganh62 »

Interesting I read that scaling to early was bad because the grass was already stressed. But that never made much since. A lower hoc warming up the soil makes more sense.

Redtwin
TLF Supporter

Post by Redtwin »

daganh62 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:59 pm
Interesting I read that scaling to early was bad because the grass was already stressed. But that never made much since. A lower hoc warming up the soil makes more sense.
I was certainly early, even for Florida. Honestly, I got lucky that we didn't have any late season frosts. I would have been set back big time if that happened.