Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
acegator
Grass Type: St Augustine/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4000
Mower: Toro Recycler

Tribute Total - dallisgrass and goosegrass

Post by acegator »

I applied tribute total to my tifway 3 weeks ago as the dallisgrass and goosegrass had invaded and grew to about a foot tall. I did not apply any pre-emergent last fall as I traveled all of the time.

- applied tribute total broadcast as the entire lawn was infested.
- bermuda was stunted/browned for a bit but it's coming back strong now
- put down carbonx/rgs/humic/air8
- scalped at 1" (still have a rotary mower)
- cutting at 1 3/4 inch now every three days.

Questions:

1. Should I dig up the dead dallisgrass? When I pull on it the leaves just pull right up.. It looks like the bermuda is growing through the dead stuff pretty good.
2. I assume it's to late to put down pre-emergent now?
3. Last year I got crabgrass really bad (did not treat it) would you go with Quinclorac or celcius for spot spraying? I have both.
4. Is 1 3/4 to low with a rotary mower? I keep the blades sharp and I hope to get a reel mower in may.
5. I see some wider blades (possibly more dallisgrass or goose coming up) would it be good to just dig the mess up as I see it and sprig the bare area? I have been taking the tifway growing through my flower beds and sprigging some of the bald spots.

Thanks again everyone and sorry for my noobness :)

Buster
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1.5 Acres
Mower: Ariens Zero Turn 52” XD

Re: Tribute Total - dallisgrass and goosegrass

Post by Buster »

Following this thread. I have similar issues with Dallis & Crab.

Never too late for PreEm. Do it!

I’ve been seeing slow success with Image Kills Nutsedge spot spraying my Dallis/Crab pop-ups. I’ve pulled a few up, but heard you may not get all the parts and it will just come back. I’d hit them with something chemical just in case.

I’ve got nearly an acre of mowable Bermuda, so I’ve gone with a nice Ariens zero turn. I’m cutting at 1.25 to 1.5 and I seem to have good results so far. I know reel mowers are better for Bermuda but we should be able to get good results with our rotaries! Some old ruts here are making it tough on my mowing, but I hope to fill those soon.
~ Buster

Topic Author
acegator

Post by acegator »

That is a big lawn :)

So the pre-emergent is good to go? I read another post that said it could stop the runners from filling in on bare spots? I know you cannot seed after putting it down.. just being cautious as I am really good at killing or stunting grass. lol

Tribute total works.. I would probably not broadcast this stuff in the heat of summer like I did this lawn in the spring but I was desperate to contain the dallisgrass. I know you can mix up other herbicides to kill it but I need to keep it simple as most of this stuff is over my head :)

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Raleigh St Augustine/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20,630
Mower: Badboy ZT Elite 48

Post by CenlaLowell »

acegator wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:04 am
I applied tribute total to my tifway 3 weeks ago as the dallisgrass and goosegrass had invaded and grew to about a foot tall. I did not apply any pre-emergent last fall as I traveled all of the time.

- applied tribute total broadcast as the entire lawn was infested.
- bermuda was stunted/browned for a bit but it's coming back strong now
- put down carbonx/rgs/humic/air8
- scalped at 1" (still have a rotary mower)
- cutting at 1 3/4 inch now every three days.

Questions:

1. Should I dig up the dead dallisgrass? When I pull on it the leaves just pull right up.. It looks like the bermuda is growing through the dead stuff pretty good.
2. I assume it's to late to put down pre-emergent now?
3. Last year I got crabgrass really bad (did not treat it) would you go with Quinclorac or celcius for spot spraying? I have both.
4. Is 1 3/4 to low with a rotary mower? I keep the blades sharp and I hope to get a reel mower in may.
5. I see some wider blades (possibly more dallisgrass or goose coming up) would it be good to just dig the mess up as I see it and sprig the bare area? I have been taking the tifway growing through my flower beds and sprigging some of the bald spots.

Thanks again everyone and sorry for my noobness :)

1.) No leave it there as you many need another app to completely kill it.

2.) It's no to late to put down pre emergent, yes you may have break through but there's some weeds you will still prevent.

3.) Pre emergent done correctly will all but eliminate crabgrass. You profile says you have st Augustine, so if quinclorac will put a hurting on St Augustine.

4). St Augustine no, Bermuda yes

5.) You will NEVER dig up all the dallisgrass needed. If its in a Bermuda area get MSMA through the marketplace and spot spray it. I know MSMA is not labeled for residential but it's your lawn do as you may. If its in St Augustine Celsius+Revolver or Tribute total.

Good luck
Killing two birds with one stone is the name of the game. :bandit:

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Cenlalowell Bermuda kill off trial

Topic Author
acegator

Post by acegator »

I am in the process of ridding myself of ST Augustine :) the back lawn is Bermuda.

Yes Quinclorac kills St Aug that's why I bought it LOL and I can use it in my Bermuda.

Good tips @CenlaLowell

CenlaLowell
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Raleigh St Augustine/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20,630
Mower: Badboy ZT Elite 48

Post by CenlaLowell »

acegator wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:10 pm
I am in the process of ridding myself of ST Augustine :) the back lawn is Bermuda.

Yes Quinclorac kills St Aug that's why I bought it LOL and I can use it in my Bermuda.

Good tips @CenlaLowell
Another st Augustine lawn bites the dust :cry:
Killing two birds with one stone is the name of the game. :bandit:

Cenlalowell Lawn Journal

Cenlalowell Bermuda kill off trial