Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
Buster
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1.5 Acres
Mower: Ariens Zero Turn 52” XD

Red Tips after Fert

Post by Buster »

48 hrs after putting down granular fert (Texas Turf 15-5-10) I've got some red grass tips. We had ~ 0.25” of rain since it went down.

Since I’m new to Bermuda, is this typical?

~ Buster

Redtwin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 20K sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1000

Re: Red Tips after Fert

Post by Redtwin »

Looks like cold damage to me. Did you guys get any of that last cold front? I heard it was in the 30s in some parts of Oklahoma.

Topic Author
Buster

Post by Buster »

We got cold, but the low was about 40*F.

Some of my greener areas (stronger, healthier) have less red tips. Perplexing...
~ Buster

FATC1TY
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5100
Mower: GM1600

Post by FATC1TY »

Just stress from a warmer than normal winter, the grass greening up and then an abnormally cold night.

It’ll grow out just fine, although the grass looks a little long, and not green enough to really throw down fertilizer just yet, IMO.

Topic Author
Buster

Post by Buster »

Thx guys.

@FATC1TY yeah, maybe a tad early. You might be right. As to length, well it’s at about an inch, maybe 1.25. I’ve got so many ruts on this new house lawn. Bout the best I can muster with my zero turn. :thumbup:
~ Buster

LoveMyLawn
Lawn Size: 5000sq ft
Mower: Cub Cadet SC300

Post by LoveMyLawn »

Came to search this same thing. Mowed last night and noticed I have a lot of red tips too. I live in Dallas and we did have a upper 40's for a low on Friday night, so not that cold. I did a blanket spray of Celsius last weekend. I was thinking maybe that caused it. Put down an app of Carbon X ahead of the rain last night. I'll give it a couple weeks and see how it plays out.

Philly_Gunner
Lawn Size: 27000
Mower: BigDog ZTR

Post by Philly_Gunner »

LoveMyLawn wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:24 am
Came to search this same thing. Mowed last night and noticed I have a lot of red tips too. I live in Dallas and we did have a upper 40's for a low on Friday night, so not that cold. I did a blanket spray of Celsius last weekend. I was thinking maybe that caused it. Put down an app of Carbon X ahead of the rain last night. I'll give it a couple weeks and see how it plays out.
I have this in my 419 right now also. I was initially concerned but walking through the neighborhood, every 419 lawn has this. It’s definitely the mild winter and then cold snap a few weeks ago. Give it 2 weeks and a couple cuts and you should be fine.

LoveMyLawn
Lawn Size: 5000sq ft
Mower: Cub Cadet SC300

Post by LoveMyLawn »

Philly_Gunner wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:49 am
LoveMyLawn wrote:
I have this in my 419 right now also. I was initially concerned but walking through the neighborhood, every 419 lawn has this. It’s definitely the mild winter and then cold snap a few weeks ago. Give it 2 weeks and a couple cuts and you should be fine.
Good to know. We did have an actual frost about 2 weeks ago too. My Bermuda is 100% green up and looking pretty good. The cooler temps have really slowed my growth down. I'm only having to mow about every 5 days right now and even then I'm not taking much off. Are y'all in the DFW seeing the same with growth?

Philly_Gunner
Lawn Size: 27000
Mower: BigDog ZTR

Post by Philly_Gunner »

LoveMyLawn wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:14 pm
Philly_Gunner wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:49 am
LoveMyLawn wrote:
Good to know. We did have an actual frost about 2 weeks ago too. My Bermuda is 100% green up and looking pretty good. The cooler temps have really slowed my growth down. I'm only having to mow about every 5 days right now and even then I'm not taking much off. Are y'all in the DFW seeing the same with growth?
I wish mine was fully green. I’m about 60% probably and still pretty thin. I did a heavy dethatch though so it’s probably still recovering. We haven’t really gotten above 60F during the night yet either. I put out 100# of TRX last night and we had a massive downpour. Pretty sure I wasted those 2 bags. Oh well. Gonna hit it with some 21-0-0 this weekend and some Foliar iron. Hoping to to a major level towards the middle to end of May.