Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
Jacobpaschall
Grass Type: Celebration, AG-1, Common, Rye
Lawn Size: 20,000 sq/ft
Mower: Reel and Rotary

How much N for PRG Overseed?

Post by Jacobpaschall »

I was wondering what everyone recommends for amount and how often you apply nitrogen to your prg? I made an application of liquid nitrogen UN32 about 1.5 weeks ago. I used 1 gallon of UN32 for 3500 sq ft which comes out to about 1# of N per k/sq ft. The grass really seemed to like it. Question is, when should I apply again?

CarolinaCuttin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Turf-Type Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000 sqft
Mower: John Deere D140

Re: How much N for PRG Overseed?

Post by CarolinaCuttin »

@Jacobpaschall Unless you want to be bailing hay every time you mow, I would use 0.25 lbs N ever few weeks. Add your favorite iron product at the same time and a little Primo as long as the grass is growing will really make it look nice.

zcabe
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7000sf
Mower: Tru-Cut C-27

Post by zcabe »

I set a bomb off on mine Sunday. Went out with 36oz of Lesco Chelated Micro Mix, 36oz of Lesco 12-0-0 w/ 6% Iron, 36oz of Griggs Carboplex, and the rest of my bag of powdered blend of Mycorrhizae, Humic, Fulvic, and Sea Kelp over 5,000sf. I am currently at 85% for PGR on Greenkeeper App. I am interested to see how the turf responds because it had finally started to tiller out and harden off a little bit but still had a little of that lime green glow.

Topic Author
Jacobpaschall

Post by Jacobpaschall »

CarolinaCuttin wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:39 pm
@Jacobpaschall Unless you want to be bailing hay every time you mow, I would use 0.25 lbs N ever few weeks. Add your favorite iron product at the same time and a little Primo as long as the grass is growing will really make it look nice.
Got it. I've been doing 2oz of feature every couple weeks for my iron. I also mow every 3rd day and have been cutting it at 7/8". I was going to apply tnex once it gets fully filled in. 1st time I used growth regulator was on my bermuda the day before I scalped it so I don't really have any experience with growth regulator, but want to start using it.

CarolinaCuttin
TLF Supporter

Post by CarolinaCuttin »

@Jacobpaschall Trinexipac-ethyl affects cool season grasss quite differently than warm season grasses. 10 oz/A of T-Nex will zap the color out of your bermuda (if it’s the first app) but on ryegrass it will just cause it to tiller and get tight. You will get less vertical growth and it usually improves color except at high rates on cool season turf.

Your lawn is ready for growth regulator if you want to use it, at 7/8 of an inch you should be mowing every 5ish days and only clipping the tips, removing 10-20 percent of the leaf blade. Get your N and iron down all at the same time. Use N and Fe for color and match it with Primo so that you get the right yield.

I’m not sure if the T-Nex formulation has a surfactant as an adjuvant to improve uptake, but Primo/Podium does and when mixed with foliar fertilizer it will help it get inside the plant faster and more efficiently.

Topic Author
Jacobpaschall

Post by Jacobpaschall »

CarolinaCuttin wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:03 pm
@Jacobpaschall Trinexipac-ethyl affects cool season grasss quite differently than warm season grasses. 10 oz/A of T-Nex will zap the color out of your bermuda (if it’s the first app) but on ryegrass it will just cause it to tiller and get tight. You will get less vertical growth and it usually improves color except at high rates on cool season turf.

Your lawn is ready for growth regulator if you want to use it, at 7/8 of an inch you should be mowing every 5ish days and only clipping the tips, removing 10-20 percent of the leaf blade. Get your N and iron down all at the same time. Use N and Fe for color and match it with Primo so that you get the right yield.

I’m not sure if the T-Nex formulation has a surfactant as an adjuvant to improve uptake, but Primo/Podium does and when mixed with foliar fertilizer it will help it get inside the plant faster and more efficiently.
Thank you for the great info. I will apply my tnex this weekend. I spoke with a golf superintendent acquaintance of mine briefly and he recommended 0.5 oz/k for my rye. Does this sound about right?

CarolinaCuttin
TLF Supporter

Post by CarolinaCuttin »

@Jacobpaschall 0.5 oz/K = 22 oz/A which sounds quite high to me based upon my experience in NC. I’ve sprayed ryegrass rough at 22 oz/A (granted this was Primo not T-Nex) and it turned a bit off color and didn’t grow for almost 3 weeks. After 3 weeks it popped out of regulation and the deep green color came back along with regular growth. It was fantastic from a maintenance standpoint because we didn’t have to mow but one time that month, but we paid the price aesthetically.

You won’t hurt your ryegrass by spraying at that rate, but if it were me I would start around 8 oz/A (0.18 oz/K) and see where that puts you. I’ve even gone at lower rates on ryegrass tees in cooler months (3 oz/A or 0.069 oz/K) just because I only wanted to barely lower my yield but didn’t want to stop applying N. There is no “correct” amount and it will change depending on the temperature and growth rate of the ryegrass. They key is keep enough nitrogen and iron going on it to give you the look you want and using PGR to manage growth.

Jimefam
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 12000sq ft
Mower: Greens King 526a

Post by Jimefam »

CarolinaCuttin wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:49 pm
@Jacobpaschall 0.5 oz/K = 22 oz/A which sounds quite high to me based upon my experience in NC. I’ve sprayed ryegrass rough at 22 oz/A (granted this was Primo not T-Nex) and it turned a bit off color and didn’t grow for almost 3 weeks. After 3 weeks it popped out of regulation and the deep green color came back along with regular growth. It was fantastic from a maintenance standpoint because we didn’t have to mow but one time that month, but we paid the price aesthetically.

You won’t hurt your ryegrass by spraying at that rate, but if it were me I would start around 8 oz/A (0.18 oz/K) and see where that puts you. I’ve even gone at lower rates on ryegrass tees in cooler months (3 oz/A or 0.069 oz/K) just because I only wanted to barely lower my yield but didn’t want to stop applying N. There is no “correct” amount and it will change depending on the temperature and growth rate of the ryegrass. They key is keep enough nitrogen and iron going on it to give you the look you want and using PGR to manage growth.
Will Tnex on champion PRG help if fill in and thicken up the way it does to bermuda? I have a few spots where the seed didnt take and i reseeded pretty heavy on those spots and still didnt do all that well so trying to do all I can to get the surrounding prg to fill in. Planning on cutting tomorrow AM and in the evening applying feature(chelated iron and other micros), depth mft and maybe tnex and at low dose. Put down about .75lb per 1k N 2 days before overseeding and that was about a month ago.

CarolinaCuttin
TLF Supporter

Post by CarolinaCuttin »

@Jimefam T-Nex can help the ryegrass tiller a little bit, but your main goal should be to grow and cut off about 1/3 of the leaf blade every 3-4 days. I would try 0.25 lbs N/M every week (as a spray) and add whatever amount of T-Nex you need to get the desired growth rate. If you are mowing every day (because it’s growing very fast) you are going to get too much vertical growth and not enough lateral growth. If you are mowing every 7 days you aren’t getting enough growth period to achieve your goal. 3-4 days seems to be the sweet spot for thickening up ryegrass, but you want to keep pounding it with quick release N to give it the signal and raw materials to grow.