Lawn Care Forum banner

Hydretrain?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  kb02gt 
#1 ·
Has anyone every heard of or tried Hydretrain? I ran across it and thought it would be amazing for our long, hot, and dry Ga summers. Would this be useful for Tifway 419 and TifTuf bermuda? Would it even work with the infamous GA red clay?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have used it in the past and really didn't think much of it as it's based off old chemistry. Most of us here that use a wetting agent have gone with the Pellet Pro and Tournament Ready pellets.

Here is some good reading on the subject.

Soil Surfactants/Wetting Agents

#4 ·
I've used both the granular & liquid versions of hydretain numerous times. From my experience the granular works a good bit better than the liquid. Even with the granular its not very noticeable, but at the same time it does seem to be doing something.

#5 ·
kb02gt said:
I've used both the granular & liquid versions of hydretain numerous times. From my experience the granular works a good bit better than the liquid. Even with the granular its not very noticeable, but at the same time it does seem to be doing something.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm just trying to see if it would be worth the $60 price tag vs the cost of watering during the summer. Like would I save at least $60 over June and July in water cost to warrant even putting this down

#6 ·
Erickson89 said:
kb02gt said:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm just trying to see if it would be worth the $60 price tag vs the cost of watering during the summer. Like would I save at least $60 over June and July in water cost to warrant even putting this down
I doubt it but I don't look at that way. I use a wetting agent so that my watering will be more efficient(even) as well as anything I add to the lawn. It also helps with hydrophobic soil and might get you and extra day or two between waterings. I have also found that wetting agents do work great toward LDS(Localized Dry Spots) and seems to bring them back to life faster then with just water alone. I look at it like an insurance program for my lawn as it can help mitigate some issues during the heat of Summer, it's not a must have product but it's nice TO have :thumbup:

But as far as Hydratrain goes, I don't think it's worth the money for what it is and you are better off spending a little extra to get stuff that actually works.

#7 ·
I bought the Tournament Ready Pellets and have been melting them down in water water and spraying them in my tow behind. Tried the applicator gun but I couldn't tell if anything was actually being applied...

Seems like the pellets are ~$14 and that covers ~15k. It's the most economical solution I've found for a "retention" type wetting agent.

#8 ·
Mightyquinn said:
Erickson89 said:
kb02gt said:
I doubt it but I don't look at that way. I use a wetting agent so that my watering will be more efficient(even) as well as anything I add to the lawn. It also helps with hydrophobic soil and might get you and extra day or two between waterings. I have also found that wetting agents do work great toward LDS(Localized Dry Spots) and seems to bring them back to life faster then with just water alone. I look at it like an insurance program for my lawn as it can help mitigate some issues during the heat of Summer, it's not a must have product but it's nice TO have :thumbup:

But as far as Hydratrain goes, I don't think it's worth the money for what it is and you are better off spending a little extra to get stuff that actually works.
Agreed, and i believe its only getting more expensive. This is most likely my last year trying it out.

#10 ·
I've used the liquid version for the past couple years and I have to add that there is no way to know exactly what if any effect it has on your lawn without a control area. But from those that have ran a control side-by-side this does seem to give a good couple/three days of extra moisture-holding to the roots. If you have areas that tend to dry out earlier than others it may be the equalizer, if nothing else. Saving that much money in water? I dunno... unless you're in the city of Atlanta with their water bills then it may be a wash. :)

Btw if you want to try it out without the shipping costs bumping the price up, SiteOne Landscape Supply carries this same product (rebranded under their name) for $100/40# bag (or $80 with an account.. PM me if you want that). Or there's the original liquid version which is cheaper (on a 1000sqft area).

#11 ·
My 2cents
I used Hydretrain last year and I had mixed feelings about it. It was Ok but not enough for me to spend that money again for 20k sqft lawn.

However, I did notice a huuuge improvement using PGR such as Anuew. My understanding is that PGR will reduce stress and water usage. I am very impressed with the results vs. Hydretrain.

It's not apples to apples comparison but if I was to expend my money "wisely" I would go the PGR route or perhaps try Tournament Ready Pellets or the Lesco option next time.

EDIT: I have no doubts Hydretrain works. There are ton of videos showing the science however I feel for the lawn, you will have to use more than specified on the label and that's a wallet injury :)

#12 ·
Mightyquinn said:
It's probably getting more expensive because it's being pushed by the YouTube lawn cabal :)
:thumbup: And we have done without it in the past. This moist water absorption is not something i would really want throughout the day. I would like my turf to dry out a bit as St. Augustine gets fungus so easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.