Topic Author
Dbl207
Grass Type: Tifway419
Lawn Size: 6000’
Mower: Tru cut 27

Complete Yard Overhaul North Georgia

Post by Dbl207 »

Hi.
Long time lurker but first time poster. Need some advice on the yard. To make a long story endless I had a bad case of the virus this winter. During this time both my seawall and boulder retaining walls collapsed in a couple of rain storms. I have rebuilt those (1st photo) and I’m currently rebuilding/reconfiguring my sprinkler system. What’s left of the yard is Tif419 (photo 2) and I just ordered 3 pallets of Tiftuf and 2 pallets of Zion Zoysia. The Tiftuf will go behind and beside the house to replace the Tif419 that we dug up during the project (photo 3). The yard is now 8” lower by the house to reroute the drainage that caused the wall collapse. The 419 that is left is poking up in spots and will border the new Tiftuf in 3 spots.

The Zoysia is going on the lowest part of the yard (photo 4) and on the trail to the dock between the retaining walls (photo 5). The lowest part only gets about 3 hours of direct sun per day and 3 hours of filtered sun. The trail gets around 4 and 4 hours respectively. A small shaded part of the front yard will also get zoysia.

Have never had zoysia and don’t know anyone who has. Trying to keep the different kinds of grass to a minimum. Currently just have 419 and fescue in the front. I love the 419 but it obviously won’t work in the shady areas. Love to cut lower and cut my current 419 at .5” and would love to take it down to .375. I need advice on a few things:

1. Will the Tiftuf blend with the 419 where it borders each other?
2. Will the Tiftuf thrive and look good at .5” HOC or lower?
3. Will the Zeon zoysia work with this much shade?
4. Will the zoysia thrive and look good at .375” or lower ( Not a golf green but would like it to be one)
5. I would rather use creeping bent grass on the lower part, suggestions?
6. Suggestions on topsoil prep before install, fertilizers, preemergent, soil amendments, etc

DIY Lawn and Garden Products