Lawn Care Forum banner

Nutsedge Certainty

4K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  M32075 
#1 ·
I have a yellow nutsedge problem. About 7 weeks ago a sprayed Certainty to kill this nutsedge. It worked great for a bit. Zero nutsedge for several weeks until now... A week ago I started seeing them pop back up so I started hand pulling them. I assumed if I hand pulled them repeatedly then the nut wouldn't have any foliage to survive on. I was wrong. Now its popping up so much that I can pull that many. It's like they are popping back up as soon as I turn my back. Do I keep hitting it with Certainty? I see a couple other herbicides like Pennant Magnum, but thats almost 300 dollars! I dont know about that...
What about painting glysophate?
Thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
@DeepC I would not use glysophate. That would be a big mistake in my opinion. The more you pull the more you get because you do not get the nutlets when you pull. With the rain we had in our area I am not surprised that nutsedge will be a big issue in early summer.

My feeling has always been if I need more that a 1-2 gallon spray bottle to spot spray then I should probably just broadcast or blanket spray the entire yard. If you spot spray make sure and use a NIS with your certainty mix. If you do not mind a slight yellowing MSO is an option as well. Sulfrentrazone(Dismiss) is another more aggressive option and less expensive. It works great at low rates.

https://www.seedranch.com/Sulfentrazone-4L-Herbicide-6-oz-p/sufentrzone4l-select-6.htm

My advice would be to continue to spot spray Certainty every few weeks at least a day or two before you mow to expose the most leaf tissue with a NIS or MSO.

I spot sprayed about a week ago with Certainty and MSO and will do again in another week to get all those that I missed. I had slight yellowing with the MSO.

https://aggieturf.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/NutsedgeFINAL.pdf

#5 ·
Don't pull it! That triggers the nuts to double and multiply!

Glyphosate didn't work in my experience.

I've had great success with repeated apps of IMAGE that you can buy at the big box store. I do three apps (broadcast) two weeks apart and it works. It's slow and systemic and takes some time to fully kill it. If I'm impatient, HD has a spray bottle that is by ORTHO that has Nutsedge listed. It has the same active ingredient as Dismiss(sulfentrazone). It kills it too. I do a one-two punch of both those and rarely have issues with nutsedge after the application.

I have Pennant Magnum and have only used it once about two years ago. I think it has helped suppress a lot. But I'm really surprised that the simple approach from the big box shelf has actually worked for me once they emerge. I had hundreds of nutsedge and it was a huge problem. Right now I only have maybe 3-4 in one area of my yard. I'm about to hit it with IMAGE and ORTHO. I feel silly telling you about those off the shelf products because I'm generally a "let me use the real stuff" kind of guy and don't go to the orange or blue store for my lawn solutions. But. It worked for me! I didn't have to spend a lot of money and wait for it to ship to me.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/IMAGE-24-oz-Nutsedge-Killer-Concentrate-100099405/100175861

ORTHO
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ortho-24-oz-Ready-to-Use-Nutsedge-Killer-for-Lawns-9994318/202521980

#8 ·
drewwitt said:

I've had great success with repeated apps of IMAGE that you can buy at the big box store. I do three apps (broadcast) two weeks apart and it works. It's slow and systemic and takes some time to fully kill it. If I'm impatient, HD has a spray bottle that is by ORTHO that has Nutsedge listed. It has the same active ingredient as Dismiss(sulfentrazone). It kills it too. I do a one-two punch of both those and rarely have issues with nutsedge after the application.

I have Pennant Magnum and have only used it once about two years ago. I think it has helped suppress a lot. But I'm really surprised that the simple approach from the big box shelf has actually worked for me once they emerge. I had hundreds of nutsedge and it was a huge problem. Right now I only have maybe 3-4 in one area of my yard. I'm about to hit it with IMAGE and ORTHO. I feel silly telling you about those off the shelf products because I'm generally a "let me use the real stuff" kind of guy and don't go to the orange or blue store for my lawn solutions. But. It worked for me! I didn't have to spend a lot of money and wait for it to ship to me.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/IMAGE-24-oz-Nutsedge-Killer-Concentrate-100099405/100175861

ORTHO
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ortho-24-oz-Ready-to-Use-Nutsedge-Killer-for-Lawns-9994318/202521980
How does your zoysia look after applying? Does it have any impact on the lawn? I just purchased IMAGE because i've heard others say the same thing. Haven't had a chance to make the first application yet.

#9 ·
Jeep4life said:
drewwitt said:

ORTHO
How does your zoysia look after applying? Does it have any impact on the lawn? I just purchased IMAGE because i've heard others say the same thing. Haven't had a chance to make the first application yet.
Image doesn't phase my Zeon zoysia. But I'm not heavy handed with chemicals, so I don't risk over applying.

The ortho is another story. I spray the weed ONCE and only once directly. And it will turn some of the zoysia surrounding yellow and injures it. I usually follow with mowing it off and keeping that area watered. The zoysia looks bad for a week or so but then it recovers and fills in. I consider the battle with nutsedge a long game battle, so I'm okay with some short term temporary injury. But if that's not something you want, you can do the image treatment three times two weeks apart and you should be good.

#12 ·
The "flush of growth" at 30 days is to be expected. I battle this same weed. I've been using Sedgemaster.

I also had the rest of a bag of Vexxis which is a granular systemic. I don't really have high hopes for it, but the more I can throw at it the better.

I'd hit it again with dismiss and certainty at the same time, and do a broadcast app of both rather than spot spray. And then another 30 days after that.

#14 ·
Easyluck said:
It takes a long time to deplete the nutlets of their energy. Repeated applications of nutsedge herbicide over several growing seasons is the expectation you should have.
This. It's a months and years battle for sure.

#15 ·
drewwitt said:

ORTHO
x2 on the Dismiss. It will yellow parts of your lawn but absolutely nukes nutsedge.

#17 ·
Rule #1 for nutsedge: don't pull it, you'll just piss it off!

I declared war on the nutsedge in my flower beds this year, so far I'm not really sure who is winning. I've been spraying it every week with Sedgehammer, admittedly that's overkill but I'm trying to eradicate it. It usually takes 2-3 weeks to yellow and die, then on to the next batch! Definitely need to be patient when dealing with nutsedge.

#18 ·
The @thegrassfactor recommends a combination of sulfentrazone + Halosulfuron (aka Dismiss + Sedgehammer) for tough sedges

Had no sedges after using this combination. The sedge Hammer works a bit slower but sometimes slower is better for a permanent kill. Nutsedge root system is long and complex. Sedge Hammer is better at translocation throughout the whole plant. Please correct me if I am wrong. Downside is that temps are too hot right now to use Dismiss. I'd wait till mid November before I applied it. S.H. however can be used during hight temps.

#19 ·
Dismiss is my go to product for fighting sedges. Green kyllinga is what I at war with. I spray it throughout the summer but you have to do it in the evenings and be prepared to sing the Bermuda a little.

I may try the Sedgehammer/Dismiss mix if I can't get the upper hand.

#20 ·
I have a yellow nutsedge problem. About 7 weeks ago a sprayed Certainty to kill this nutsedge. It worked great for a bit. Zero nutsedge for several weeks until now... A week ago I started seeing them pop back up so I started hand pulling them. I assumed if I hand pulled them repeatedly then the nut wouldn't have any foliage to survive on. I was wrong. Now its popping up so much that I can pull that many. It's like they are popping back up as soon as I turn my back. Do I keep hitting it with Certainty? I see a couple other herbicides like Pennant Magnum, but thats almost 300 dollars! I dont know about that...
What about painting glysophate?
Thank you

Bumping this thread. What does everybody think is the best off the rack treatment for yellow nutsedge? Also, is there a treatment that goes from the leaf down to the root and kills the nut sedge entirely? I want to spot treat my Zeon lawn without causing significant discoloration.
Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.