Lawn Care Forum banner

Zoysia Plugging Question

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  EBCocky 
#1 ·
Let me preface this by saying I am a bit of a novice when it comes to this stuff, so excuse my ignorance.

I am on the second year of a zoysia plugging project. I did a small area last year (went well) but am doing about 2000 sq feet this year. Pulling plugs from an existing zoysia section of my lawn and transplanting to an area I have prepared. I have tilled, raked, amended with compost (Black Kow) and rolled. I am ready to start plugging.

Two questions:

1) Is there any reason not to use the compost (Black Kow or other) instead of topsoil to fill in the holes made by removing the plugs? Just seems to me it would be better than topsoil, which I used last year. But maybe there is something I don't know.

2) Any opinions on Tupersan as a pre-emergent on the plugs. It says it is safe on seed so I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but a professional landscaping buddy of mine expressed a little concern about it preventing the stolons from spreading. He suggested I just spray Drive as needed.

I appreciate any thoughts you folks may have.

See less See more
#3 ·
I plugged about 1000 sq-ft last summer (e. zoygia). To fill the holes I used river sand mixed with a good quality of potting soil from Home depot. The plugs grew in and filled in well, but could not out compete the wild(common) Bermuda grass. Had to kill everything this past spring and installed sod a few weeks ago.

#4 ·
You can use sand, topsoil or compost to fill in the holes of the plugs you pull. One thing you may want to consider, the compost or top soil option could mean that the holes are filled with more fertile soil, which could mean as the grass grows back in to fill in the holes, it could fill in with different coloring.

For me when I am plugging, I just use the dirt from the hole I opened for the plug, and basically transfer plugs into the holes I want to fill in, and then put the dirt plugs back into the holes I created in the good turf.

#5 ·
Darrell_KC said:
You can use sand, topsoil or compost to fill in the holes of the plugs you pull. One thing you may want to consider, the compost or top soil option could mean that the holes are filled with more fertile soil, which could mean as the grass grows back in to fill in the holes, it could fill in with different coloring.

For me when I am plugging, I just use the dirt from the hole I opened for the plug, and basically transfer plugs into the holes I want to fill in, and then put the dirt plugs back into the holes I created in the good turf.
That makes the most sense to me, honestly. You dont have to dispose of the dirt you pull from the donee area and create uniformity in the donor area.

With that said, I am going to try the compost. My uneducated theory is that it may fill in quicker and make the soil healthier overall.

I will report back on the Tupersan. O have high hopes.

#7 ·
If I install plugs they are embedded up to 1/2" below the surface. The backfill is with the existing soil brought up by the auger. I do not want plugs sticking up above the surface. Nor do I want anything below the plugs that will sink or shrink excessively. Name of the game is to make the lawn mowable with a reel mower when I am done with minimal to no sanding required.

Tupersan is a fine Crabgrass pre. Where and how are you able to get it. Last I heard it is going off the market because everyone uses Mesotrione as the pre for cool season seeding jobs. Never apply Mesotrione to Zoysia at any stage unless you intend to kill it. Quinclorac is one option. So is Simazine or Atrazine during grow in. You may also apply Isoxaben.

#8 ·
Greendoc said:
EBCocky said:
Let me preface this by saying I am a bit of a novice when it comes to this stuff, so excuse my ignorance.

I am on the second year of a zoysia plugging project. I did a small area last year (went well) but am doing about 2000 sq feet this year. Pulling plugs from an existing zoysia section of my lawn and transplanting to an area I have prepared. I have tilled, raked, amended with compost (Black Kow) and rolled. I am ready to start plugging.

Two questions:

1) Is there any reason not to use the compost (Black Kow or other) instead of topsoil to fill in the holes made by removing the plugs? Just seems to me it would be better than topsoil, which I used last year. But maybe there is something I don't know.

2) Any opinions on Tupersan as a pre-emergent on the plugs. It says it is safe on seed so I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but a professional landscaping buddy of mine expressed a little concern about it preventing the stolons from spreading. He suggested I just spray Drive as needed.

I appreciate any thoughts you folks may have.
If I install plugs they are embedded up to 1/2" below the surface. The backfill is with the existing soil brought up by the auger. I do not want plugs sticking up above the surface. Nor do I want anything below the plugs that will sink or shrink excessively. Name of the game is to make the lawn mowable with a reel mower when I am done with minimal to no sanding required.

Tupersan is a fine Crabgrass pre. Where and how are you able to get it. Last I heard it is going off the market because everyone uses Mesotrione as the pre for cool season seeding jobs. Never apply Mesotrione to Zoysia at any stage unless you intend to kill it. Quinclorac is one option. So is Simazine or Atrazine during grow in. You may also apply Isoxaben.
Thanks. If I understand correctly, the plugs should end up being between level with ground to 1/2" below the surface, and I should use the existing soil to backfill/level each plug?

Any problem using the compost to fill in the hole left from where I removed the plug?

I got Tupersan from Seed Ranch. Looks like they still have it:

https://www.seedranch.com/Tupersan-50-WP-Herbicide-4-Lbs-p/tupersan-wp-4.htm

Edit: Tupersan is NOT available at seed ranch any longer, or anywhere else Ive looked.

I got some in April, glad I did.

#10 ·
EBCocky said:
Thanks. If I understand correctly, the plugs should end up being between level with ground to 1/2" below the surface, and I should use the existing soil to backfill/level each plug?

Any problem using the compost to fill in the hole left from where I removed the plug?
I was wondering the same myself and have been filling the holes with a mixture of soil, sand, and clay from the other plug. My working theory is that this will provide a type of localized aeration which may be helpful in getting water deeper into the soil (high clay content). I acknowledge that there will be divots created as the organic material settles, so I will be do a top dress of the area at some point in the future.

#11 ·
Another question:

Any reason not to tank mix tupersan and quinclorac (drive)? Also how worried should I be spraying either when the following day may reach 90? I plan to spray at night when it is under 80, but it will definitely exceed 80 the following day no matter what.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.