Lawn Care Forum banner

Zoysia: order of operation?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Jap274 
#1 ·
TLDR: grass is 3 mo. old
1. Need to level, this fall or next spring? If next spring, before,during, or after aeration?
2. Need to bring down pH. Best how/when?
3. Want to maintain lower HOC next season, scalp the zoysia or just move it down progressively? 2" now and into winter, would like closer to 1" next season.
4. Will core aerate and dethatch next season, best timing?
How many of these things can I do at the same time?

Hello all, I'm new here and looking forward to participating for years to come!
In hot Central Texas. My first home and first lawn. Installed Cavalier Zoysia beginning of April, getting addicted to caring for it.
Some advice would be welcomed regarding my plans and lack of experience.
I'm keeping it around 2" this season to allow roots to really take hold, next year would like to maintain 1"-1.5"

My plan is to level with sand/topsoil/compost in fall, and feed it potash for winter dormancy.
Next season: how do I start low HOC? I hear mixed reviews on scalping zoysia.
In spring I will core aerate and add humic, biochar, and kelp at that time to kick off the year. Planning a verticut/scarify around May 1.
MAIN QUESTIONS:
I badly need to bring down pH (mich too alkaline.) Is fall or spring the best time and does anyone here prefer a certain method/product? Should I do it when I level in fall or wait until the spring aeration?

How do I best begin to cut the grass to sit at <1" if it is over 2" dormant? Scalp? If so, when?

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and provide your experience and expertise.

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
dubyadubya87 said:
I don't know that I would level in the fall as the grass starts slowing down in growth. Everything I've seen says to do it when it has plenty of time to recover. I would either scalp and level right now, when you have plenty of time for it to recover, or wait until the spring when it comes out of dormancy.
Thanks for the reply!
My only concern with your suggestion is that it is the lawn's first season and I'm anticipating a brutally hot summer ahead. I am just trying to keep the grass as stress free as possible this go-around (in reference to the scalping..) I also didnt know that leveling caused much stress to the grass, but if so, that's good to know

#6 ·
@cldrunner Thanks for the advice! You think I can do all of the following at the same time next spring?

1. Core aerate
2. Level
3. Scalp (or should I just progressively mow lower until I get to my preferred HOC next season?)
4. Apply something to begin lowering pH (haven't decided what to use yet, I know I can't expect quick results with this one, but I'm thinking I can include it with my biochar, humic, kelp application during aeration?) or should I do that this season to get a jump start on next year?

Forgive me if these are dumb questions, I an absolute novice to the world of good lawn care

#7 ·
I think if you just progressively lower your HOC, you'll end up brown every time you mow to a new low, and it will always sort of feel like you're scalping. Typically, to maintain green, you'd need to cut low and then raise your mower a step so it stays green.

I can understand not wanting to stress the grass, but if it's anchored, I would think you'd be ok.

My suggestion is to cut it at 1.25" soon and maintain at 1.5" for the rest of the year. Then, next spring, scalp it harder and maintain at your preferred height.

The zoysia I have (zenith) likes the 1.5-2.0" range quite a lot.

#9 ·
Looking strong. Irrigation there?

Nothing wrong with playing it safe this year, then early spring, remove the 'deadwood'. It'll be a slower recovery due to temps but you'll have less supplemental water demands.

Aerate? Optional
'Scalp' as low as u can then
Level (hard to do with a lot of grass)
Water (rain)

It's young, not sure if 'dethatch' is needed unless it's dormant and u are using it as a 'cleanup' step to get the dead because your mower is 'sub-optimal' :)

Ph correction get on it....I believe, it's a process not a quick fix. No experience.

Fall is hands off, perhaps a prevent defense of fungicides.... potassium

#10 ·
My ph is off the charts high, and it has absolutely no impact on my zoysia. Irrigation water here has tons and tons of calcium and is really hard. Lowering soil ph here in FL is a loosing battle. If and when I give a nitrogen only boost, I'll use Ammonium Sulfate, which can help lower ph.

I would wait to scalp and level once things really get growing, I scalped too early this year and it really set things back. (We don't go dormant/brown here, things just slow down) I didn't give the roots enough time to build reserves to come out of the scalp quickly enough which allowed some intrusion of common Bermuda.

Start bimonthly fungicide and cut back watering when evenings start to cool down. For me that's oct, dec, feb.

#11 ·
@jayhawk hey thanks for the reply!
No irrigation, just sprinkler for about 2 hr twice a week, then hand water with a wand the corners that dont get much from
sprinkler.
I have a craftsman rotary, not ideal. Just bought a fiskars push reel that'll go down to 1" so after scalp I'll try to keep it one notch above that.
Yes the dethatch is to eliminate leftover dormant brown, but if I can get it with a good raking that's probably the extent of the "dethatch"
I want to core aerate to get some biochar, humic and other goodies into the soil, and the purpose of the level is I'm not ecstatic about the sod job and there are some spots that need filling if I'm going to be as effective as possible with the push reel. I'm only working with about 1800 sq ft so I want to have it looking primo.
I guess I just worry about scalping zoysia since it takes longer to recover, so all the advice I'm getting is taken to heart. I'm a novice being it's my first lawn, I don't want to make any major mistakes.

I appreciate your advice and time!

#12 ·
@UFG8RMIKE good to know about scalp timing, thanks for the reply!
I hadnt planned for fungicides so that's good to hear, I'll include it for sure. I am surprised with the quality I'm getting with bad pH, so I'm looking forward to seeing what can happen when it's optimal! My first instinct is sulfur because I'm scared of the aluminum on the yard but if I hear from folks that they've had success with it I may go that route to speed it up a little.

I appreciate your reply!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.