Lawn Care Forum banner

Fungus or something else?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  vallecrucis 
#1 ·

These two spots have always been somewhat thinner than the rest of the yard. The spot further away in the zoomed out picture looked better after I did a little verticutting/scarifying on it a few weeks ago. However, today they really seemed to look worse and like they are spreading. I've hand watered them a few times and we've got some rain in the last two weeks, so I don't think it's drought related. Could be buried construction material/rocks, but it just seemed to really look bigger and worse today after some rain. Still pretty new to all of this. Anyone help me out on what's going on here? Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not an expert but looks like large patch.

Cut it low, rake it out thoroughly, put down fungicide at curative rate, and repeat in 2-3 weeks (per label) - I like Caravan G which also has insecticide in it personally.

#6 ·
Are you guys saying dollar spot for all of the above? What would be a good fungicide? Never messed with fungicides before. Does it need to be one of the more specialty like at SiteOne or will something like Bayer or Disease Ex be sufficient? Thanks for all the help.

Edit...Also, do I need to do anything different with mowing? I don't bag clippings and I usually mow every 3rd day to keep up with it.

#7 ·
thatguyhileman said:
Are you guys saying dollar spot for all of the above? What would be a good fungicide? Never messed with fungicides before. Does it need to be one of the more specialty like at SiteOne or will something like Bayer or Disease Ex be sufficient? Thanks for all the help.

Edit...Also, do I need to do anything different with mowing? I don't bag clippings and I usually mow every 3rd day to keep up with it.
All of it. Read this for more information about it and treatment options. https://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/diseases-in-turf/dollar-spot-in-turf/

#9 ·
I treated with Prop two weeks ago and everything seemed to be looking better. However, no in different parts of the yard, the front yard, is showing signs of something going on. Any input? Just started to show this browning in the last two days or so. Dollar spot that has spread or something else? The bottom picture is grass I pulled up in two spots. Spot on the left looks fine, spot on the right has the brownish tint going on.

#10 ·
Bump one more time to see if anyone has any ideas. I did the drench test last night and nothing came to the surface as I thought it could also be insect related. Just not sure what's going on and trying to keep from guessing and throwing stuff at it until something works. Thanks!

#11 ·
thatguyhileman said:
Bump one more time to see if anyone has any ideas. I did the drench test last night and nothing came to the surface as I thought it could also be insect related. Just not sure what's going on and trying to keep from guessing and throwing stuff at it until something works. Thanks!
Have something very similar going on. My guess the whole time has been dollar spot - hit it with Prop a few times, back yard seems to be recovering, but now the front yard has that same slight yellowing - trying some 3336F next. Maybe hit it with a bit more N?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.