Lawn Care Forum banner

How common are chinch bugs in Bermudagrass?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  tincan 
#1 ·
My relative in GA asked me -- how common are chinch bugs in Bermudagrass? He has 5 properties and the weed guy (WG) told him that he has chinch bugs on two of his properties. WG sent him an urgent email (forwarded to me), saying that this has to be treated very soon, otherwise it will turn a green lawn brown very quickly.

The WG offered to treat the properties, at $110 per pop for each property (~6000 sqft lawn at each property). WG also recommended four monthly treatments at each property, so the total would be $880.

The relative sent me a picture of the lawn, and there are a few brown patches. But interestingly, the neighbor's lawn looked fine.

I am beginning to think that this could be a scam, because the weed guy could randomly put down some glyphosate and then claim that there is a chinch bug infestation. Anyone has or heard of such an experience?

In the meantime, I told the relative he should try out the "tin can test" given on the DoMyOwn website.

https://www.domyown.com/chinch-bug-inspection-guide-a-590.html

See less See more
#3 ·
Chinch bugs in bermuda would be highly unlikely. Not very common. If it is chinch bugs, you will find them in the green section around the brown section. If you dig through the green section, you would be able to see them. They are tiny black specs. And...if you do find them...just treat with bifen. Would cost you maybe $5 for the application of bifen. Way cheaper than what WG is gonna charge you.

#6 ·
Thanks for your comments. After doing further diagnostics with my relative, we now believe that this is a scam the weed servicing guy is pulling. We also read a few other online reports of this company using the same tactic to upsell services.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.