Lawn Care Forum banner

Patchy bermuda?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Sedgehammer 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me what type of bermuda is growing? Should I overseed with a type (what type?) or ryegrass to fill in spots and get it green. Would it help to till up the patchy spots before seeding?

This lawn has gone downhill for unknown reasons. It was fine in summer 2018 when I moved in, then tons of weeds followed the next year. From that point on I have not been able to get it back to looking how it did before. It's become patchy all over. I have not aerated it, but I can't imagine that affecting it this bad.

Thanks!

#4 ·
My thoughts were in line with @coreystooks .It looks like bermuda that is too shaded, as it has that tall and "leggy" appearance. Also, as I'm sure you're aware, but this is WAY to tall a height for bermuda to grow in nicely and thicken up. At this height, it's actually shading itself a little bit.

#6 ·
andymac7 said:
My thoughts were in line with @coreystooks .It looks like bermuda that is too shaded, as it has that tall and "leggy" appearance. Also, as I'm sure you're aware, but this is WAY to tall a height for bermuda to grow in nicely and thicken up. At this height, it's actually shading itself a little bit.
I was going to say the same thing. Its too long for sure.

#7 ·
Probably a common or Tif 419. Hard to tell with those pictures and how tall and unkempt it is.

Give it a mow, work on getting rid of the weeds, and make sure to give it ample water in the heat, and cut it atleast twice a week.

Low is good, but not an end all be all approach to good bermuda. Scalp it down as low as you can, and raise the mower up a notch. Mow twice a week, apply some balanced fertilizer, and give it sun and water.

Some of it looks like herbicide damage. Some looks like lack of sun, perhaps even some fungus damage in the spotty areas. Check for rocks in the ground in the bare spots.

#8 ·
Thanks for the tips. Yeah it's tall because this is a month of uncut growth. I usually cut it once every 7-10 days, but I guess that's not going to "cut" it. I'll TRY to get out twice a week. It's like I inherited someone's hobby and I've got other hobbies I'm more interested in than this. In the meantime, the zoysia the previous homeowner grew in the shady area where the bermuda didn't survive is green, thick, and beautiful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.