Lawn Care Forum banner

Celebration Bermuda but no celebration

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  davidconners 
#1 ·
So here is my situation: I live in Orange County, Ca. Weather right now is about average 85 during the day & 60 at night, Watering once every 5 days (Rachio Sprinkler controller). I'm sure there is a post in here somewhere that can address this issue with my lawn, i'm not sure if this is a case of scalping, fertilizer burn. or a disease but definitely not looking great. I fertilized with a granular 16-4-8 (The Andersons) about 2 to almost 3 weeks ago, everything looked great, I didn't mow for 4 days due to mini vacation, came home, grass looked great, mowed the lawn (.6"), 2 days later started looking not too good. I'm thinking of changing my fertilizer and going with a 21-2-4 (Nitra King w/iron), just not noticing a lot of green up with the Anderson's and this Celebration. Any thoughts? Thanks! Side note: "This sod isn't a year old year, laid it down last August 2020)

See less See more
#5 ·
Might as well toss in 1/2 oz imdacloprid in the hose end while your at it. You'll treat for grubs/bugs, and fungus at the same time. I prefer a hose end to pump sprayer for fungicides and pesticides since the volume of water is irrelevant as long as it's not excessive, and because precision isn't necessary, and it helps get things into the soil.

#6 ·
UFG8RMIKE said:
Might as well toss in 1/2 oz imdacloprid in the hose end while your at it. You'll treat for grubs/bugs, and fungus at the same time. I prefer a hose end to pump sprayer for fungicides and pesticides since the volume of water is irrelevant as long as it's not excessive, and because precision isn't necessary, and it helps get things into the soil.
Sorry, but this is terrible advice.

The volume of water is absolutely relevant, because it dictates the amount of AI that's being put out. And that absolutely matters. At best, its inconsistent and ineffective. At worst, its damaging to your turf and or the environment.

#7 ·
SCGrassMan said:
UFG8RMIKE said:

The volume of water is absolutely relevant, because it dictates the amount of AI that's being put out. And that absolutely matters. At best, its inconsistent and ineffective. At worst, its damaging to your turf and or the environment.
I would go a step further and say I don't understand why people recommend insecticides at all when there is no clear turf-damaging bug problem. You'll kill an awful lot that is good, not bad, for your lawn.

#8 ·
Bermuda_Rooster said:
I would go a step further and say I don't understand why people recommend insecticides at all when there is no clear turf-damaging bug problem. You'll kill an awful lot that is good, not bad, for your lawn.
Because applying insecticide for an active infestation requires a much higher level of AI than a preventative application.

Bifenthrin, which I use a couple of times a year, applied properly, doesn't kill anything helpful like earthworms.

#9 ·
SCGrassMan said:
Because applying insecticide for an active infestation requires a much higher level of AI than a preventative application.

Bifenthrin, which I use a couple of times a year, applied properly, doesn't kill anything helpful like earthworms.
To each his own. I just don't like to use 'cides when I don't have to.

#10 ·
Bermuda_Rooster said:
SCGrassMan said:

To each his own. I just don't like to use 'cides when I don't have to.
I don't blame you! I felt that way for a long time too. I have pets, so controlling fleas, ticks, and ants/termites is sort of a necessity in the south where I live.

#11 ·
SCGrassMan said:
UFG8RMIKE said:

Recommended AI is .46 to .60 oz per 1k sq ft. He has 1k sq ft. The amount of water used to put it down is irrelevant and no different than the recommendation to water it in afterwards. So get off your high horse.

.5oz in one gallon over 1k sq ft is the same as .5oz in 10 gallons over the same area.

It time of year to treat for grubs, if he treating for fungus might as well hit both. Plus ants, mole crickets, roaches, chinch bugs, etc.

#12 ·
I'm in So Cal also, realistically we haven't had any real consistent heat until last week, my Bermuda hasn't really gotten going too much yet. If you're waiting 4 days between mows chances are you're going to scalp. If you're maintaining at 0.6 then you should be scalping below that and then mow at 0.6 within 3 days and it should start looking good.

#15 ·
UFG8RMIKE said:
SCGrassMan said:
UFG8RMIKE said:

Recommended AI is .46 to .60 oz per 1k sq ft. He has 1k sq ft. The amount of water used to put it down is irrelevant and no different than the recommendation to water it in afterwards. So get off your high horse.

.5oz in one gallon over 1k sq ft is the same as .5oz in 10 gallons over the same area.

It time of year to treat for grubs, if he treating for fungus might as well hit both. Plus ants, mole crickets, roaches, chinch bugs, etc.
I must have missed the part where he said he was mixing 0.5 ounces, my apologies. If it's a mix of 0.5 Oz of active ingredient, then no, the volume of water doesn't matter because it's 0.5 ounces either way.

However, if it's 0.5 Oz of AI per *gallon*, or it's a hose end sprayer mix from a box store, then that would be a different situation.

#17 ·
thanks for all the advise, and yes feels good to be apart of The Lawn forum, so much knowledge in one place! I sprayed some PGR a few days ago, not that its going to help the bare spots but hopefully the growth in the other areas grow slow and if its a fungus hoping it slows down. going to stop watering for a week or so and see what happens, it's going to be mid 80s for next week or so, hopefully these spots repair themselves. I added a little custom striping mod to the mower today, can't wait to test it out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.