Lawn Care Forum banner

Prodiamine v. Dithiopyr

16K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Matthew_73 
#1 ·
Happy New Year all!! Going into my first full year of grass growing since joining TLF. Learned so much last year very anxious to reap the rewards this year. Right now, my plan is in place to apply Prodiamine twice annual...already applied .5/annual max in September and will apply the other half in March. My question is would it be beneficial for me to add an application of Dithiopyr to the mix? See some applying in the middle of summer. What weeds would Dithiopyr handle that Prodiamine doesn't? My biggest problem last year was Poa.....hoping to not see this year or at least at a minimum. Had some Crabgrass, Dallisgrass, Johnson grass and a couple of broad leafs. Worked the post emerge overtime last year and got everything under control. Its a new house to me and the previous owner obviously wasn't overly concerned with weeds ...at least not as much as me.

I've also been in contact with the regional manager on the Cub Cadet Infinicut....man that thing is sweet. It's on my wish list in the next year or so.

#27 ·
high leverage said:
BermudaOCD said:
High Leverage,

What's your method of application of Indaziflam in May on Bermuda? Spot spraying?
All pre-emergents are blanket sprayed.
Thanks! I was just reading the label and it said:

"Do not use on desirable turfgrass"

And

"A subsequent application of SPECTICLE TOTAL can be made 4 months after the initial application to extend weed control. Certain
hard-to-control weeds can be re-sprayed 1 month after initial treatment only using spot treatment. The maximum applied rate must
not exceed 32 fl oz of product/1000 sq ft. in a 12 month period."

I know the active ingredients are different I just didn't know if there was any harm in doing Prodiamine in March and Indaziflam in May. And I know Bermuda is resilient but I wasn't sure if there would be any stress on the lawn using it in May at the recommended rate of 16oz/1000 sq ft.

#29 ·
BermudaOCD said:
high leverage said:
BermudaOCD said:
High Leverage,

What's your method of application of Indaziflam in May on Bermuda? Spot spraying?
All pre-emergents are blanket sprayed.
Thanks! I was just reading the label and it said:

"Do not use on desirable turfgrass"

And

"A subsequent application of SPECTICLE TOTAL can be made 4 months after the initial application to extend weed control. Certain
hard-to-control weeds can be re-sprayed 1 month after initial treatment only using spot treatment. The maximum applied rate must
not exceed 32 fl oz of product/1000 sq ft. in a 12 month period."

I know the active ingredients are different I just didn't know if there was any harm in doing Prodiamine in March and Indaziflam in May. And I know Bermuda is resilient but I wasn't sure if there would be any stress on the lawn using it in May at the recommended rate of 16oz/1000 sq ft.
Specticle total and specticle flo, are not the same product. You don't want to use specticle total on your turf grass; that one is NOT a pre-em. Specticle flo, however, is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.