Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
jakemauldin
Grass Type: Bermuda(P77), Texas HBG SPF-30
Lawn Size: 2.75 acres
Mower: Toro 60" Zero Turn

SPF-30 hybrid bluegrass

Post by jakemauldin »

So I recently bought 200lbs of SPF-30 hybrid bluegrass from Outsidepride. I did this because my original plan for a shade tolerant zoysia went out the window when they had a seed shortage and prices went to $1600 per 50 lb bag. So living in North Texas I needed something that was shade tolerant that wasn't St. Augustine (wife hates it). So what is shade tolerant and a warm season grass? Not really any of them. So I decided that a cool season grass was my only option as a shade tolerant grass. I read and read over all the cool season grasses and could not find one that I felt could handle the heat and droughts we get here. Then I came across this hybrid and it appears to have tested rather well in small testing categories but the SAT of Turf grasses (NTEP) doesn't have test results on this grass yet or hasn't even began testing it. There's also very little information on residential users results of this turf. So I decided to be a guinea pig of this hybrid grass and seed this a mono-stand of grass and document my results since this is the closest thing to KBG I'm ever going to possibly have success with in North Texas. Wish me luck and I'd love to hear your thoughts or recommendations since most of my time has been spent in the warm season side on this forum and in the yard.

Powhatan
Grass Type: KY-31 & NoMix
Lawn Size: 12,000
Mower: Rotary

Re: SPF-30 hybrid bluegrass

Post by Powhatan »

In fall of 2017 I put down 5% SPF 30 and 4% Fahreheit hybrid bluegrass (HBG) mixed with Southern Belle TTTF. I haven't added anymore since. The HBG is still there and spreading. Since I don't irrigate, it's been a good supplement to the KY-31.
Last edited by Powhatan on Wed May 01, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ronjon84790
Grass Type: Bluegrass/Rye
Lawn Size: 4,000 SF
Mower: Swardman 55

Post by ronjon84790 »

@jakemauldin I have spf30 in my 5-way blend KBG backyard. Not sure how it will do as a monostrand but my blend holds up well in my climate. We are dry and hot in the summers. On average, 5 degrees cooler then Las Vegas on any given day. Here is a pic last August cut at 2 5/8”. This is the first year I’ll be maintaining it at less than 1”.

Topic Author
jakemauldin

Post by jakemauldin »

@Powhatan I most likely won't be able to install an irrigation system for a few years if at all due to GPM flowrate from the main. So that's good to know that it does seem to do well in drought. What kind of soil do you have it planted in?
@ronjon84790 First off your yard is impressive! Are you irrigated? I am concerned about the monostrand, that is the one thing I have not seen any articles about or even pictures of mono SPF30. Maybe when I make it happen I'll go viral as the first successful homeowner to grow a mono of SPF30HBG in Texas!! haha

Rucraz2
Grass Type: Nomix
Lawn Size: 44,700
Mower: John Deere x540

Post by Rucraz2 »

I actually tried it with some midnight back in 2015 I think it was, on a partial reno. I moved two yrs after seeding. I was not really impressed actually. It didn't spread real quick and color wasn't up to what I imagined it would be. It might work differently for you in texas? I felt I read a lot of hype about it and was maybe expecting too much???

ronjon84790
Grass Type: Bluegrass/Rye
Lawn Size: 4,000 SF
Mower: Swardman 55

Post by ronjon84790 »

Thanks @jakemauldin

I have an irrigation system. Grass would not grow here without it. We are dry, hot, and get nominal rain each year. It will be sweet to see you grow a monostrand spf30. Can’t wait to see it.

Powhatan
Grass Type: KY-31 & NoMix
Lawn Size: 12,000
Mower: Rotary

Post by Powhatan »

jakemauldin wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:27 pm
I most likely won't be able to install an irrigation system for a few years if at all due to GPM flowrate from the main. So that's good to know that it does seem to do well in drought. What kind of soil do you have it planted in?
@jakemauldin I have sandy clay loam. My last soil test CEC # was 8.5 which is on the sandy side. I've been adding organic matter to help make my CEC # go up.

maynardGkeynes
Grass Type: PRG
Lawn Size: 275
Mower: electric rotary

Post by maynardGkeynes »

I did a monostand of Thermal Blue Blaze a few years ago in Washington DC. The color is not bad. It's darker than Thermal Blue and probably darker than SPF30. However, it was pretty unattractive, rather dull looking, and moderately thick bladed. Also, it never really formed a dense turf, but maybe that was my fault. I'll be interested in your results.

willn
Grass Type: Weeds
Lawn Size: 1200 sq ft
Mower: Honda

Post by willn »

I am in DFW also and looking at the Thermal Blue, SPF 30, and even Reveille (I bought some seed a couple of years ago).

Like you said, I have not seen much data on any of these. My decision is either Zoysia or one of these hybrids.

Keep us posted. I will probably start posting my progress soon.

lucas287
Grass Type: Tifsport & Celebration
Lawn Size: 3500 sq ft
Mower: California Trimmer RL20

Post by lucas287 »

@jakemauldin any updates on how it went?

Topic Author
jakemauldin

Post by jakemauldin »

So I'm awaiting some results, I seeded it on 6/15 and the following morning we had 3" of rain from what was supposed to be a light drizzle with no accumulation. I'm hoping it didn't get wiped out. I feel like most of it should still be there. I seeded it along with Princess 77 in my (immediate yard 25k SF) the rest was planted with the SPF 30. The P 77 has started to emerge and make an appearance. I should see some SPF 30 in the next week I would think. I cannot find anything about the actual germination time frame for it. But I assume around two weeks.

spartanlawn
Grass Type: spf30
Lawn Size: 0.6 acres
Mower: deere

Post by spartanlawn »

Because of a colossal screw up on my part I need to seed my front yard. Only thing in seven that grows is fescue and I think that would be a waste of seed in early July. I too have ordered spf30 and will let you know how it grows in Spartanburg South Carolina. If anyone has seeding tips please let me know

social port
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20K
Mower: Gravely ZT 42

Post by social port »

spartanlawn wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:15 pm
Because of a colossal screw up on my part I need to seed my front yard. Only thing in seven that grows is fescue and I think that would be a waste of seed in early July. I too have ordered spf30 and will let you know how it grows in Spartanburg South Carolina. If anyone has seeding tips please let me know
Welcome to TLF.
Please don't seed now in South Carolina. Your seeds will germinate and then heat and disease will take your younglings away from you.
Target fall.
Have a close read of this overseed guide.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, FF-diff mixes
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green »

I had some Thermal Blue in my mix I used for an overseed last Fall. We are just getting into Summer heat now, but I expect good performance for the area which is not regularly irrigated. I can't tell which grass is the HBG and which is regular Bluegrass at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if they look about the same though. I'm excited about the idea of having a decently performing grass mix in that area. If it can make it in places like Texas and South Carolina, it should perform pretty well in Summer here in New England without too much issue.
Last edited by Green on Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Topic Author
jakemauldin

Post by jakemauldin »

I have had quite a bit of germination of the SPF-30 just shy of 12 weeks post seed down. I planted this in areas that I was not able to water frequently or at all. We have had temps mostly in the upper 90's since seed down and had very little rainfall since. It has started to cool off a tad bit at night in the low 70's and we have had about 1/2" of rainfall last week.
I did have a small area that germinated at initial seed planting and it greened up then once 100 degree days hit no matter how much water and care that area got it all turned yellow and I believed it surely had died, but with that 1/2" of rain I mentioned it just greened back up. So about the time I had given up on 1k dollars of SPF-30 here it comes popping up all over. Stay tuned!

Topic Author
jakemauldin

Post by jakemauldin »

These pictures are all I have that show the progression of the SPF-30 that I planted since I basically thought it was a fail.
This first picture has it starting to green up in the small patch at the top of the picture “the patch all by itself”.

Then this picture shows it heat stressed and at the time what appeared to be very dead. Not a single bit of green. And this was watered the same as the Bermuda since I was trying to push the Bermuda out that direction.
Then here’s the SPF-30 making a comeback after some slightly cooler temps and a 1/2” of rain.
[/url]Image

jeffcatton
Grass Type: KBG SPF-30
Lawn Size: .5
Mower: Normal Push

Post by jeffcatton »

Just wanted to share as I am new to this group and in Fort Worth Texas, disgusted with my grass I wanted KBG. I did some research and found KBG SPF-30 ... so I thought I would try it.

Pics added are after 4.5 weeks. Growing grass you sure do learn to be patient as grass grows in heat :)

The grass is still germinating (3 seedings every 2 weeks with starter fertilizer).

Let me know what you think

Jeff

To be fare, when I first started it was 90-105 for the first 2 weeks.

Last edited by jeffcatton on Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maynardGkeynes
Grass Type: PRG
Lawn Size: 275
Mower: electric rotary

Post by maynardGkeynes »

I think it looks good, especially if it can survive next summer's heat.

jeffcatton
Grass Type: KBG SPF-30
Lawn Size: .5
Mower: Normal Push

Post by jeffcatton »

Updating my pic for my yard in Fort Worth, TX using SPF30 KBG.
I have very happy with the way it has matured and filled in, only in a couple months time (start in September).

Bmossin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Celebration, Yukon, P77
Lawn Size: 5,000
Mower: Deere 180C Mclane GM1000

Post by Bmossin »

That looks awesome. I will be curious to see how it fares next August as well!
Last edited by Bmossin on Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.