Granular or liquid humic acid

A place to discuss soil fertility and soil amendments
adgattoni
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:21 pm
Location: 7B - Raleigh, NC
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 16000
Mower: Greensmaster Flex 21

Re: Granular or liquid humic acid

Post by adgattoni » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:49 pm

Drewmey wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:16 am
adgattoni wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:57 am
greengrass wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:13 am
I’ve tried the Anderson DG and it was similar to spreading milorganite. I think they have a patent on the product so that the granules break up in micro particles after watered in. Pretty pricey though.
I dunno - seems to be the cheapest per pound of humic:

Image
They have different applications so pounds of product is actually meaningless. For example, if you switch to a liquid fertilizer application, would you apply the same weight of nitrogen? Lord I hope not. Foliar application is just more efficient so you need to compare them in a much different way. Depending on what your goal/purpose is, you might be wasting tons of pounds of humic by throwing it on the ground in granular form. I think you need to compare cost /frequency requirements based on needed application rates. I think a better approach would be to use both personally.

Now if the Anderson product was 100% soluble, that would be a different story. But from the videos I've seen, it needs quite a bit of straining even after aggressive agitation.

Also kelp4less is really expensive for humic. Check this one out which is like half the cost. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2986360258
This is the entire point of this thread: has anyone other than a manufacturer provided evidence that liquid humic is better than granular? "But foliar absorption is better..." is a generality that may not even apply with these products. I've found studies that show increased uptake of foliar applied nutrients when humic is included in the tank mix, but that is to be expected because humic acid is a nutrient chelator (makes nutrients more available to plants). It isn't itself a nutrient, so I can't understand why humic getting absorbed into the plant (is humic acid even used within the plant?) is better than getting it into the soil where it can chelate nutrients and make them available to plant roots.

User avatar
samjonester
Posts: 388
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Location: Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Grass Type: F: Bermuda B: TTTF + KBG
Lawn Size: 8500
Mower: Honda HRR

Re: Granular or liquid humic acid

Post by samjonester » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:48 pm

ryeguy wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:21 am
Has John Perry ever elaborated on why HA is better in liquid form than powdered?
I’m fairly sure he’s said that his products were designed to remain in solution for easy, budget friendly applications by pros.

The goals may also be different. Granular may also improve soil in addition to root cycling. Both bind to nutrients for better use by the plant.
2018 Backyard Reno:
90% TTTF - Rebounder, Firewall, LS1200, Houndog 8
10% KBG - Midnight, Award, Granite, Nuglade

Sam's NJ Bermuda Adventure
Let's see if I can make this wild bermuda lawn look good up north!

macdawg
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:31 pm
Location: Missouri
Grass Type: Cool season mix-TTTF, KBG, PR
Lawn Size: 8000sq/ft
Mower: Toro Recycler 22

Re: Granular or liquid humic acid

Post by macdawg » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:50 am

I like the idea of throwing down Andersons DG with gypsum.

I aerated in September and have been watering properly, yet hard as a brick clay soil. Parts of my backyard have large cracks in the soil.

I feel like I'm throwing spaghetti at the wall here, but my gut says some light top dressing, humic/gypsum apps.

A local store sells a soil conditioner called calcined clay I may also try.

Might use carbon x in the fall. Figure that should help the soil a little as well. Trying to stick with all granular products.
Last edited by macdawg on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drewmey
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:31 am
Location: Western Virginia
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 4,000 ft²
Mower: 21" Huskvarna

Re: Granular or liquid humic acid

Post by Drewmey » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:42 am

adgattoni wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:49 pm
This is the entire point of this thread: has anyone other than a manufacturer provided evidence that liquid humic is better than granular? "But foliar absorption is better..." is a generality that may not even apply with these products. I've found studies that show increased uptake of foliar applied nutrients when humic is included in the tank mix, but that is to be expected because humic acid is a nutrient chelator (makes nutrients more available to plants). It isn't itself a nutrient, so I can't understand why humic getting absorbed into the plant (is humic acid even used within the plant?) is better than getting it into the soil where it can chelate nutrients and make them available to plant roots.
Ha I wasn't trying to say that foliar applications were 'always better', just saying (when being used directly by the plant) foliar applications are way more efficient....and therefore one can not simply price pound vs. pound. But I totally see your point about whether or not humic is actually "being used" by the plant, as it is not a nutrient.

However, I am usually spraying a humic/fulvic/kelp blend...and kelp is used by the plant. I typically see kelp suggested as a foliar spray instead of a 'spray to the roots' type of application when reading about liquid kelp or soluble kelp. I also plan to spray this same blend on the same day I spray FAS and even possibly combine (or spray back to back) with herbicides/fungicides this year.

If applying nothing else, I think watering in could be the way to go though. That's kind of why I was saying I think a better approach is to use both in your routine if you can justify, afford to.

Post Reply