feature

A place to discuss soil fertility and soil amendments
iowa jim
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Mazama
Lawn Size: 12,000 s/f
Mower: john deere x370

feature

Post by iowa jim » Wed May 15, 2019 6:50 am

Do you use a surfactant with feature, first time applying it? I plan on 2 ounces per k with a surfactant.

FlaDave
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4400 sq/ft
Mower: Jacobsen pgm 22

Re: feature

Post by FlaDave » Wed May 15, 2019 6:19 pm

I've tank mixed it with pgr and surfactant, and sprayed it by itself. It worked fine with and without it.

ThickLawnThickWife
Lawn Size: 14000
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Post by ThickLawnThickWife » Wed May 15, 2019 6:40 pm

Is it possible to spray Feature with a hose end sprayer? If so what hose end sprayer should I use? I just tried the Ortho Dial n Spray hose end and it was a complete failure. 1. Nothing seemed to be spraying except the water. 2. After a few minutes it seems like of the Feature would settle to the bottom of the tank. I tried to mix and spray 4 times before I finally gave up.

iowa jim
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Mazama
Lawn Size: 12,000 s/f
Mower: john deere x370

Post by iowa jim » Thu May 16, 2019 5:53 am

FlaDave wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:19 pm
I've tank mixed it with pgr and surfactant, and sprayed it by itself. It worked fine with and without it.
thanks

ryeguy
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5000 sqft
Mower: Toro TimeMaster

Post by ryeguy » Thu May 16, 2019 9:56 am

ThickLawnThickWife wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:40 pm
Is it possible to spray Feature with a hose end sprayer? If so what hose end sprayer should I use? I just tried the Ortho Dial n Spray hose end and it was a complete failure. 1. Nothing seemed to be spraying except the water. 2. After a few minutes it seems like of the Feature would settle to the bottom of the tank. I tried to mix and spray 4 times before I finally gave up.
You could try removing the filter from the bottom of the straw. People often do that to spray thicker stuff.

It depends what you're using feature for, though. If you want it more for the greening effect, it will work better as a foliar application via sprayer. The hose end sprayer will mostly turn it into a soil app since there is so much more water and the iron will get washed off the blades.

ThickLawnThickWife

Post by ThickLawnThickWife » Thu May 16, 2019 7:18 pm

@ryeguy thanks for the response.
I definitely wanted the greening effect. I dissolved the Feature in hot and then put in a hand can and applied at 2oz/1000 sq ft. It looked like I was spraying koolaid on the lawn.

I accidentally overlapped in a few places. If this stuff actually works will those spots be twice as green and made the lawn look streaky?

Should I rinse the iron off in the morning with the sprinkler?

Scagfreedom48z+
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: Scag 48” Freedom z

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Thu May 16, 2019 7:34 pm

Thu May 16, 2019 7:18 pm
I definitely wanted the greening effect. I dissolved the Feature in hot and then put in a hand can and applied at 2oz/1000 sq ft. It looked like I was spraying koolaid on the lawn.

I accidentally overlapped in a few places. If this stuff actually works will those spots be twice as green and made the lawn look streaky?

I’m looking to see what your results are. I’ve divided up my FEature into small bags. Since it’s my first time applying, I would going to go the safe route and do 1 oz per 1M. I’ll definitely be following your outcome.

ThickLawnThickWife

Post by ThickLawnThickWife » Thu May 16, 2019 7:49 pm

Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:34 pm
Thu May 16, 2019 7:18 pm

I’m looking to see what your results are. I’ve divided up my FEature into small bags. Since it’s my first time applying, I would going to go the safe route and do 1 oz per 1M. I’ll definitely be following your outcome.
Lol half way through I thought maybe I should have done 1oz per but it was too late by then. I guess my only concern is some spots I overlapped and if I should water it in. I have seen yes and no from different places so unless someone chimes in with a major explanation or information I think I will leave it and see what happens. Either way I will definitely share my results.

Scagfreedom48z+

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Thu May 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Looking forward to it!

ryeguy

Post by ryeguy » Thu May 16, 2019 8:00 pm

I applied 7oz/M the other week, you definitely shouldn't be worrying about overlapping at a 1-2oz/M dose. I based that off this article's recommendation: "Generally, a rate of 2 pounds of iron per acre from chelated iron is adequate for a noticeable turf green-up". This was recommended by others in the iron thread on here as well.

FYI: if you're worrying about overlapping, dilute your mixture in a way that you need to go over an area twice to get your desired rate down. I go north-south then east-west for better coverage. That way an overlap is only 50% more, not double. Handy for more risky products.

Scagfreedom48z+

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Fri May 17, 2019 7:36 pm

ryeguy wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:00 pm
I applied 7oz/M the other week, you definitely shouldn't be worrying about overlapping at a 1-2oz/M dose. I based that off this article's recommendation: "Generally, a rate of 2 pounds of iron per acre from chelated iron is adequate for a noticeable turf green-up". This was recommended by others in the iron thread on here as well.

FYI: if you're worrying about overlapping, dilute your mixture in a way that you need to go over an area twice to get your desired rate down. I go north-south then east-west for better coverage. That way an overlap is only 50% more, not double. Handy for more risky products.
7oz per 1M? That’s a lot of iron but that really good to know. How long do you want to water it in? Or do you not water it in at all?

I was being conservative with just 1oz per 1M just because it was my first time. I may up it to 2 oz then...

ThickLawnThickWife

Post by ThickLawnThickWife » Fri May 17, 2019 8:03 pm

Yesterday before FEature.

6:30 This morning (morning dew on the lawn)

8:40 This evening (After Cutting)

I didn't not water it in so it has been on the grass for about 24 hours. Not sure if it's just in my imagination but it seems darker. I am not sure how long it takes to get the full effect.
Last edited by ThickLawnThickWife on Fri May 17, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scagfreedom48z+

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Fri May 17, 2019 8:12 pm

What’s your HOC? I may apply 2oz, I’m at 3.5 right now so 2oz may be a better rate?

ryeguy

Post by ryeguy » Fri May 17, 2019 10:28 pm

Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:36 pm
ryeguy wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:00 pm

7oz per 1M? That’s a lot of iron but that really good to know. How long do you want to water it in? Or do you not water it in at all?

I was being conservative with just 1oz per 1M just because it was my first time. I may up it to 2 oz then...
I've only done it once and I didn't water it in. I probably will next time, but I didn't see a negative effect from not doing it.

ThickLawnThickWife

Post by ThickLawnThickWife » Fri May 17, 2019 11:11 pm

Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:12 pm
What’s your HOC? I may apply 2oz, I’m at 3.5 right now so 2oz may be a better rate?
My HOC is about 2.25~. I don't think 1oz would offer very much greening after seeing what 2oz does.

@Ryeguy Do you have a before and after picture when you applied at 7oz per 1000?

Scagfreedom48z+

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Wed May 29, 2019 9:03 pm

I applied 2oz per 1M of FEature with .5 fl oz of TNEX per 1M at the same time yesterday.

I did not water it in right away and it was around 75 degrees and sunny.

We are getting rain tonight which is over 24 hrs since application.

How long does it typically take to see a color difference?

craigdt
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Ferris IS600z

Post by craigdt » Wed May 29, 2019 9:56 pm

Also, could one mix Feature, Tnex, and a 3 way herbicide? And maybe Azoxystrobin too?
Dithiopyr (Dimension) Marketplace : $23/4oz, $33/8oz, $52/16oz
Mesotrione (Tenacity) Marketplace : $24/4oz, $35/8oz, $54/16oz
Prodiamine (Barricade): $31/16oz, $23/8oz

NorthStar 21gal Tow Behind Sprayer- TeeJet mod writeup

Cool Season Lawn Guide, via g-man

FlaDave
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: 4400 sq/ft
Mower: Jacobsen pgm 22

Post by FlaDave » Thu May 30, 2019 8:08 am

I think it really depends on if your lacking any micros, but in my case I saw a very noticeable color difference writhing a few hours after applying. As for the tank mixing the primo label says not to tank mix with herbicides. It might be fine, but if it's not it will look bad for a long time. Maybe do a test section? Everything else should be fine.