How do you measure your fertilizer?

A place to discuss soil fertility and soil amendments
Rucraz2
Grass Type: Nomix
Lawn Size: 42k
Mower: John Deere x540

Re: How do you measure your fertilizer?

Post by Rucraz2 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:41 am

With my large yard, spreading granular, I usually just go by the closest number. My 50# bags cover roughly 16k. So I go just a hair over 1lb with my 43k yard. Soil amendments I use my kitchen scale. I buy in bulk. I can get very large heavy duty 4gal ziplock bags from work. I store all my solubles in them.

mytmouse
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: ~6000sq ft
Mower: Honda HRR216K9VYA

Post by mytmouse » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:07 pm

For my granular, I use a fishing scale I won at a fishing tournament and a 5 gallon bucket then I weigh what I need for 2k and then I spread over the area I know is 2k. See how much I have left in the hopper and make a small adjustment. Then I measure out what I need for the other 4k and throw it down. I really need to start writing down my spreader settings, but I'm hard headed like that. LOL

Gibby
Grass Type: Tahoma 31
Lawn Size: 10,000sq/ft
Mower: JD 220E

Post by Gibby » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:54 pm

Methodical
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG (10%)
Lawn Size: 7000
Mower: TimeMaster and Honda HRX

Post by Methodical » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:01 pm

Once I've calculated the spreader with the product, it doesn't matter the square footage of the lawn, other than needing to know size of the lawn to get the right amount of product. For example, I know setting 14 on my spreader gives me the required lbs on the ground for 46-0-0, so no matter if I am doing my 7k lawn, my parents 12k lawn or the lawn down the street, setting 14 will give the proper application. Also, it doesn't matter how much product I put in the spreader, because setting 14 is going to give me what I need. For example, if I put 15lbs in the spreader, but the lawn only requires 12lbs, it doesn't matter as I will have 3lbs let over. For me, it's just too time consuming to sit and measure the exact weight of fertilizer to apply, as I said, once calibrated it doesn't matter. Calibrate your spreader with the product you use and free yourself from all of that misery.

For those that use Scotts and have a Scotts spreader, their suggested setting should be ok.
Last edited by Methodical on Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"