First ever soil test results

A place to discuss soil fertility and soil amendments
Ridgerunner
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500
Mower: Steiner 420, Honda

Re: First ever soil test results

Post by Ridgerunner »

Thanks @g-man . Kenny, That Ventura store looks good if it's not too far. Another option would to be a 50# bags of Urea 46-0-0 and SOP (0-0-50/0-0-52) and DIY in whatever ratio you need.

Topic Author
Kenny_Login
Grass Type: Fine/Tall Fescue/KBG
Lawn Size: 3240
Mower: Honda HRR216K9VKAA

Post by Kenny_Login »

Thanks again @g-man, I'll check out that thread and place. First look it might be a little far out from me. But, if it saves me having to pay over the odds online, then the trip might be worth it! And @Ridgerunner, I'll call SiteOne on Monday. Everything in the ratio I need seems to be unavailable, but I'll give them a call.

corneliani
Grass Type: TTTF front TifTuf Bermuda rear
Lawn Size: 12500
Mower: Honda HRX rotary

Post by corneliani »

I just logged in & selected a random Boston location (Waltham?) to see their in-stock inventory. This product may fill your needs of a straight N & K fertilizer - 50% coated for controlled release - for under $20/bag (maybe $30ish for non-account retail buyers?). You could get 4 apps out of this bag on your lawn (at a lower 3.9#/1000 rate) or 3 apps if you spread at 5#/1000.
I'm only sharing this since you never know who you run across at these suppliers.. some are helpful to DIYers, others not so much. :roll:

Here's the label for reference: https://www.siteone.com/pdf/sdsPDF?skuI ... ceId=19629

No micros but if you're choosing the straight macros route this may work.
Best of luck.

Topic Author
Kenny_Login

Post by Kenny_Login »

Yeah, that would work @corneliani. I didn't think to look at other locations, other than the one next town over. Cheers!

Topic Author
Kenny_Login

Post by Kenny_Login »

Hello all, back again to run my plan by those on this thread. So, at @Ridgerunner and @corneliani's suggestion, I picked up a 50lb bag of the 18-0-12 at the SiteOne in Waltham. By my calculations, I'll need more. But I wanted to just get started first.

So, I read on my Waypoint test, and another rule of thumb, to put down 4lbs of N this season. Is that right?

Based off of that, and and an NPK calculator (thank god, they are a blessing for people like me who are poor at maths). At 4lbs of N, and ~3200 sq ft, that would put me at 71lbs of the 18-0-12 Lesco fert.

Based off advice here. I was going to spoon-feed this fert in. I calculated that there's 17 weeks to the Autumn. I rounded it down to 16, to make it even. I was planning on laying down the fert every 2 weeks. So that makes 8 applications.

So, at 3200 sq ft, and 8 applications, it would work out to about 9lbs per application. I have 3 areas of grass that the 9lbs will be split between. 1300 sq ft (~3.6lbs), 824 sq ft (~2.28lbs) and 1160 sq ft (~3.2lbs). Which add up to about the 9lbs per application.

There's also the matter of ~160lbs of the dolomitic lime to put down as well.

Would someone tell me if this sounds about right, or sanity check me?

corneliani
Grass Type: TTTF front TifTuf Bermuda rear
Lawn Size: 12500
Mower: Honda HRX rotary

Post by corneliani »

As far as your math goes, you're correct: 4# of Nitrogen using this product equates to approx 22# of product per 1000, or approx 70# of product over your 3,200 square feet (over the course of a season, of course). That being said, be aware that the 4#/year recommendation is just that, a recommendation for a standard fertilization plan. You may find that you need more or less based on factors such as length of growing season, level of maintenance, etc. Just keep that thought in the back of your mind: 4# is a baseline recommendation.

As for the 2-week fertilization intervals, i'll let others in the norther climates chime in but I'd question how feasible/necessary that is considering the seasonal timing of nitrogen. Generally you hold off on pushing growth in the hottest part of the year, so take that into account when timing your apps... and secondly this particular product has a 50% slow release aspect to it which does the 'spoon-feeding' for you (in a manner of speaking). Taking these 2 points into account, maybe front-loading these applications before the summer heat is a better approach. Or possibly utilizing an even gentler form of nitrogen (organics possibly?) over the hottest months before coming back to this product for the Sept app (?). Just brainstorming here but that's probably what i'd end up doing: bag rate now with either half-rate for the July app or an organic to tide me through August. Spoon feed the quick-release ferts such as AMS in the fall & again spring.
Just one point of view obviously.. i'm sure others will offer others.

Topic Author
Kenny_Login

Post by Kenny_Login »

Those are fair points, and make sense. Also, I was doing those calculations without taking into account the weather, i.e. possibly not being able to every app.

So, while I wait to see if there's more suggestions, I'll take your advice and recalculate to front load the apps, and do less over the hotter summer months. I'm at least glad my calculations were correct. I don't have any experience to go off yet, in terms of the 4lb rate, so I'll use that and adjust up/down at some point.

Much appreciated!