Reducing Transpiration With Chitosan

A place to discuss soil fertility and soil amendments
TC2
Grass Type: Centipede/TifTuf
Lawn Size: 4500/7500sqft
Mower: Toro GM1600/Ego 21" rotary

Re: Reducing Transpiration With Chitosan

Post by TC2 »

Chitosan is apparently soluble in acidic solutions. It looks like a 0.1M acetic acid solution is recommended for a concentration of 0.1% chitosan (1g/L), which would be 6g of acetic acid (pure powder) in 1L of water. Additionally, the solubility will depend on the size of the polymers. If they're >80% deacetylated, ie short, then they're much more soluble. You're probably looking at hours to get this stuff to dissolve properly, assuming it's of short enough polymer chains to do so.

Topic Author
Grass Clippins
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Titan Ultra TTTF
Lawn Size: 18000
Mower: Hustler Raptor

Post by Grass Clippins »

@TC2 I believe they used lactic acid in the study to dissolve the shell. Citric acid didn't do much but then again I didn't let it sit for long. If I went at this again I'd just throw out crab meal and let the bacteria do all the work. I guess the benefit of getting it fro ully dissolve would be to do a foliar application vs soil. But is it worth it? You can buy a 40 pound bag of crab meal for what a 5 pound bag of powder would cost. I've given up on trying to use chitosan to reduce transpiration but I still think it has it's place in the soil...

Brian O.

He that hath turf to mow, let him mow.

My Lawn Journal
Blue Mule Hose End Sprayer

Topic Author
Grass Clippins
TLF Supporter

Post by Grass Clippins »

@ktgrok Some of these people growing dope are practically agronomist with the stuff they know about soil science. When I was researching it ... :roll: ... it sounded like a lot of these growers are moving away from hydroponics and back to soil. Apparently it's a competitive market place.
Brian O.

My Lawn Journal

Rig2
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tall fescue
Lawn Size: 1900sft
Mower: Push

Post by Rig2 »

I am still trying different combinations and amounts. I have not seen any significant difference between the applied area and control. They both need water in a few days. I am not scientific or exact in any way. I got a ton of it so I’ll keep trying. It hasn’t done any damage as far as I can tell.

If I doo see any results I will share it. But as of last year and this year no noticeable change.

GangstaRIB
Grass Type: Empire Zoysia
Lawn Size: 4000 sq ft
Mower: Rotary - Toro Super Recycler

Post by GangstaRIB »

Sorry to dig up a zombie thread but it seems like a few people were testing and I was wondering what the results were specifically with the OII-YS product. I was thinking of grabbing some from larry the cable guy over at GCI turf. I'm not sure how he's able to keep fescue pretty in 90+ degree weather but even my Zoysia gets pissed off when it gets hot.

Topic Author
Grass Clippins
TLF Supporter

Post by Grass Clippins »

@GangstaRIB I would pass on OII-YS. Think about it, if it were a legit product Pete wouldn’t be the only one pushing it and he is literally the only one pushing it. Just another overpriced surfactant. It’s a shame because I want to like Pete but this makes it tough. He’s preaching the gospel on his channel while taking advantage of people who don’t know any better.
Brian O.

My Lawn Journal

Topic Author
Grass Clippins
TLF Supporter

Post by Grass Clippins »

I just requested Turf Truth dig into this. If any of you would like to see this please comment or thumbs up my comment you the latest You Tube video. Hopefully this will get his interest. My Youtube name is Brian O..
Brian O.

My Lawn Journal

Topic Author
Grass Clippins
TLF Supporter

Post by Grass Clippins »

Weird, my original comment was deleted on You Tube so I did it again. I'm going to save my comment below in case it happens again.

"Turf Truth, would you please look into 02-YS http://o2yscorp.com . Their slogan is "Believe the Unbelievable" and I think this might be the holy grail of BS. One You Tuber is making a-lot of money pushing this snake oil. We did some uneducated research over on the Lawn Forum but need closure. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7201 . Thank you."

Update: posted without the links and it's staying up. I'm pretty sure they have a spam filter if links are included in the comments.
Brian O.

My Lawn Journal